ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten 2-0 on day one of regionals!

Michigan hands the first loss to a #1 seed in the tournament.
Maryland has its hands full against UConn in B6. Down 3-2. Maryland bats have been quiet. UConn's pitcher has them off balance.

EDIT: Maryland continues to struggle against UConn's pitchers. Getting fooled all over the place. Down 6-2 in T8.

Last edited:
Was at a wedding but looks like the b10 network showing volleyball while the other networks showing their teams playing.
There are many things to criticize the BTN for, but not showing NCAA regional games is not one of them. ESPN has the contract for all NCAA regional games. Cannot be shown on Big Ten Network or any other network, ESPN family of networks only.

That makes sense and wasn't sure the acc was contracted with espn. Knew sec was.

WF up early on Maryland. 2-0 in B1. WF's hitters are squaring up the pitcher's offerings pretty well. Maryland will likely need 7+ runs to win today.

It's a B1G v. ACC match-up. Would really like to see the B1G notch another ACC win on its belt today.

EDIT: Both pitchers settled in well. B6 - Maryland down 3-2.

EDIT 2: Strike that. 2R HR by WF. 5-2 in B6.

EDIT 3: Maryland takes lead . . . 6-5 in T8.

EDIT 4: Make it 8-5 Maryland - T8.

EDIT 5: Maryland scores 6 runs after first two batters made outs. Walk, HR (2 RBIs), Walk, Walk, Double (1 RBI), HR (2 RBIs), Walk, Walk, Double (1 RBI). Walks kill.

EDIT 6: A T9 solo shot has Maryland up 10-5. If Maryland wins, they'd face #3 seed UConn in a revenge game tonight at 6:00 p.m. CDT. (To advance, Maryland needs to win not only tonight but tomorrow as well). Michigan is lined up to face #1 seed Louisville at 4:00 p.m. CDT. Michigan must win 1 of 2 against Louisville to advance.

Last edited:
B1G Summary thus far:

#3 Seed Michigan
Beat #2 Seed Oregon (Pac 12)
Beat #1 Seed Louisville (ACC)
Next: Louisville

#1 Seed Maryland
Beat #4 Seed Long Island
Lost to #3 Seed UConn (Big East)
Beat #2 Seed Wake Forest (ACC)
Next: UConn

Tell me again how the B1G can't compete with the so-called "power" conferences. I so want Michigan to send Louisville packing tonight. Having the B1G send 2 ACC teams packing in the same day would be very satisfying.

And, FWIW, freaking Wake Forest was a top 10 RPI team. Entering the Regional, WF (RPI #6) was ranked higher than Maryland (RPI #9). Feels like the committee placed Wake Forest in that bracket to make things particularly tough on Maryland.

Last edited:
Oklahoma State channeling Iowa's comeback against Indiana. Missouri State was leading 12-0 after 3 innings. They are now in B6 with Oklahoma State up 17-14.

Not a good start for the Wolverines. Louisville scores 4 in T1 on just 2 hits. 3 walks and a HBP.

EDIT: Uff da. 20-1 loss for UM. About the best thing that I can say is that quite frequently a team that scores a crap ton of runs in one game seems to struggle to score runs the next game. Both teams must be running short on pitching.

Last edited:
Nice win for Maryland. Both teams may be pitching position players by the end of the game tomorrow.
I (a Maryland fan) am sitting here with no idea how they will get through this game tonight. Last night's game was amazing. Third baseman Nick Lorusso pitched a few times this year, so I expect an inning from him. Hopefully they are finally getting close to the back of UCONN's bullpen.

I thought the 2015 regional was grueling (in terms of getting through so many innings intact), but this one is just brutal. Ha ha, at least it's just a game.

I agree with the sentiments above; Iowa and Rutgers should have been in this tournament, and Iowa, especially, with the starting pitching, would have been a good bet to advance. I am still a relative B1G newbie, and it's odd to me that in this one sport, this conference doesn't get respect (because as an ACC guy, growing up, the Big Ten was so intimidating)...

It's too bad Cheatagain is still in this, but I did lulz at them losing 20-1 yesterday. F*** outta here, Michigan sports programs, thank you.

Good start for Michigan. Double-Double-Double. Up 2-0 in T1. Runner on 3rd and 2 outs.

EDIT: Louisville pounding the ball. Up 4-2 with bases juiced with 2 outs in B1. Michigan's starter pulled. Michigan should have been out of the inning up 2-0 but home plate umpire squeezed Michigan's starter on back to back fastballs at the knees with the count 1-2 and 2-2 and 2 outs. Batter singled on 3-2 count to tie game at 2-2 and Michigan's pitcher looked frustrated and flustered ever since.

EDIT #2: Bunt, 4 pitch walk, error on comeback. 7-2.

EDIT #3: Michigan hit a solo HR in T4 but trailed 7-3 heading into the 5th. Lightning in the area leads to a lengthy delay. Just checked to see if they were back playing and I see that Michigan scored 4 runs on a solo HR and a three run HR to tie the game. In B5 - 7-7.

EDIT #4: Louisville goes 1-2-3. It's a 4 inning game . . . 7-7.

EDIT #5: Michigan with a solo shot to dead center with one out in T6. Runner on 1B with two outs. Louisville going to its pen . . . Michigan up 8-7. Michigan greets new pitcher with a walk and a single. 9-7 to the B6. I don't think 9 runs is going to win this game.

EDIT #6: Michigan up 9-7 to T8.

Last edited:
Michigan got absolutely f***ed on a review that would’ve had them out of the inning up 9-7. Now down 11-9.

Louisville takes out Michigan. 11-9.
It's up to Maryland tonight. Would hate to see the final 16 w/o B1G representation.

Maryland just had the worst call I’ve ever seen Go against them.
I hate Michigan but they got absolutely fd on that blown call too. Pretty pathetic umps can dictate so much

Maryland beats LIU
Michigan beats Oregon

F the doubters!
and now BIG is out...

Even though I think Mich should have been out of the tourney talk with their cheating in the BIG tourney. They got karma served on that crap call at 2B vs L'ville, that changed the game.

I'm a Maryland guy. I wasn't watching -- I can't take the stress anymore until there's a new season. I just watched via game tracker. I figured it must have been a simple close play, and the review upheld the call. I didn't even know about this until today.

To be honest, although I think many umpires would not have made that call and changed so much about the game, I can see an argument for it being the right call. And we can't assume Maryland would have scored another run to tie the game, although that's the way the games have been going.

So that isn't going on my all-time short list of bad calls against my team(s).

They lost because they had to play one more game than UCONN, and ran out of pitchers...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT