ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Assigned Rivals

Iowa Hog

HR MVP
Sep 30, 2001
Trying to figure out who the assigned rivals will be
Ohio State - Michigan Penn State Indiana Penn State - Rutgers Maryland Ohio State Rutgers - Maryland Penn State Michigan State Michigan - Ohio State Illinois Michigan State

Maryland - Penn State Rutgers Michigan State Michigan State - Michigan Purdue Maryland Inidiana - Purdue Northwestern Ohio State Purdue - Indiana Michigan State Illinois

Illinois - Northwestern Purdue Michigan Northwestern - Illinois Rutgers Indiana

Iowa Nebraska Wisconsin Minnesota would play each other. There are not a lot of intense rivals the Big Ten, so the Big Ten will probably go for two if divisions are scrapped in which case Iowa will
drop Nebraska as does not measure up to the other two

It will probably be like the old Leaders and Legends and we'll get the hated Purdue Boilermakers.

No need to assign a bunch of protected "rivalries." That's almost as bad as having divisions.

One established rivalry game for every team is enough, and even some of those would be "made-up" in the expansion era. The below protected rivalries would work just fine; the other teams rotate through equally. Yeah, it seems that Iowa might be getting the short end of the stick, having legitimate long-term rivalries with MN and WI, but personally IDGAF. The earth didn't reverse the rotation on its axis when Texas stopped playing aTm, so I think we'll survive if we don't play the Gophers for a few years. We are badly in need of getting MI, MSU and OSU on the schedule more, and giving up those yearly games is fine with me if that's what it takes.

IA-NE
MN-WI
IL-NW
IN-PU
OSU-MI
PSU-MSU
MD-RU

Simple

I think they’d try to restore Michigan/Minnesota since they play for the Little Brown Jug. Penn State definitely will not get off that easy by having both Rutgers and Maryland protected.

No need to assign a bunch of protected "rivalries." That's almost as bad as having divisions.

One established rivalry game for every team is enough, and even some of those would be "made-up" in the expansion era. The below protected rivalries would work just fine; the other teams rotate through equally. Yeah, it seems that Iowa might be getting the short end of the stick, having legitimate long-term rivalries with MN and WI, but personally IDGAF. The earth didn't reverse the rotation on its axis when Texas stopped playing aTm, so I think we'll survive if we don't play the Gophers for a few years. We are badly in need of getting MI, MSU and OSU on the schedule more, and giving up those yearly games is fine with me if that's what it takes.

IA-NE
MN-WI
IL-NW
IN-PU
OSU-MI
PSU-MSU
MD-RU

Simple
Our 1 protected game should be braska? Wtf lmao
PASS!

Heard a discussion on Big Red radio(590)Omaha yesterday where they cited Dochtermans poll of Iowa fans indicating that Wis is their biggest rivalry while Nebraska is the most disliked opponent.
Husker fans indicate that Iowa is not a rival but is their most hated opponent.

Rivalries need passion...so clearly Iowa-nebraska is The Rivalry Game for Hawks.

Our 1 protected game should be braska? Wtf lmao
PASS!
It takes about 5 minutes of perusing this and the Nub board to figure out which teams those fans have the most passionate contempt for. Like it or not, IA-NE is by far the most intense "new" rivalry in college football, in an era when many are being ripped apart by realignment. Nothing wrong with embracing that.

IA-NE
MN-WI
IL-NW
IN-PU
OSU-MI
PSU-MSU
USC/UCLA

Would you rather play Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State every year? Instead of say Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland?
684566143.png

And now add USC and UCLA.

Let UCLA’s rival be kNebby, they play a night game at the Rose Bowl getting two things.
1. To finally play in the Rose Bowl, but not THE ROSE BOWL.
2. Get their ass kicked and a majority of the country won’t see it (and probably doesn’t care).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT