ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Baseball Scores and Standings (6/9)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004
June 9

NCAA Tournament - Super Regional Round

Corvallis Super Regional

Oregon State 8, Minnesota 1
Oregon State 6, Minnesota 3

Standings
1. Minnesota (44-15, 18-4)
2. Purdue (38-21, 17-6)
3. Michigan (33-21, 15-8)
4. Illinois (33-20, 15-9)
5. Indiana (40-19, 14-9)
6. Iowa (33-20, 13-9)
7. Ohio State (36-24, 14-10)
8. Michigan State (20-32, 11-12)
9. Maryland (24-30, 9-14)
10. Nebraska (24-28, 8-14)
11. Rutgers (25-25, 7-16)
12. Northwestern (17-32, 6-18)
13. Penn State (15-34, 3-21)

The Big Ten baseball season is now complete for 2018

Last edited:
I understand Nebraska’s pitching staff is incredibly short handed but what’s up with their offense? Erstad is a great coach and recruiter but their offense has held them back in each of the past six years.

I would caution on making big pronouncements this year on Huskers offense. They have played very good competition. Their early season schedule has featured 6 games against P5 teams (Wash State, Oregon State, Utah) and this weekend the are playing Wichita State, another very good program.

Having said that, Erstad seems to have a philosophy toward offense that aligns with how the Angels teams he was on played the game. Don't strike out, put the ball in play, make things happen that way. Which does not seem to be the trend overall in teaching hitting at the college and pro level these days. For example, in 2017 Nebraska hit 25 home runs as a team. Iowa hit 71. Iowa likely won't get anywhere near 71 this year without Jake Adams and his 29 homers, but that is a staggering difference. And Iowa struck out less times per game than did Nebraska. Nebraska won the Big Ten regular season and went to NCAA regional, so Erstad is doing a good job, but the Nebraska fans who follow the program would probably have more context on Erstad's approach to offense.

Nebraska's big problem the last few years has been hitting with RISP. They have left A LOT of guys stranded.

This ^ is a big part of it. Erstad's recruiting, especially first few years, was pretty poor and he has yet to really bring any big bats to Lincoln. There's some baseball talent in Nebraska, and the better ones are getting away....including a nice hitter down in Wichita right now.

Crazy weather and scheduled off weeks have the standings looking very weird right now. Iowa's schedule makes it extremely difficult for Hawks to win the regular season title. But playing all the good Big Ten teams increase their chances at NCAA at-large if they win games.

Well, at least compared to Indiana, Iowa has a similar schedule it would appear:

Remaining Schedules for Iowa and Indiana:

Date Iowa Opp. Indiana Opp. (all are 3 games series)
4-6/7 v OSU v Purdue
4-13 @NE v Northwestern
4-21 @ Minn @ OSU
5-11 @ NW @ NE
5-17 v Michigan v ILL

Crazy weather and scheduled off weeks have the standings looking very weird right now. Iowa's schedule makes it extremely difficult for Hawks to win the regular season title. But playing all the good Big Ten teams increase their chances at NCAA at-large if they win games.

We need to get all of our games in, I don't want to get screwed by winning percentage due to a cancelled game or two. Heck it could cost us the B1G tournament in theory due to how tough our schedule is. Even though I have zero doubt we are a top 8 team.

Reactions: Couppee
We need to get all of our games in, I don't want to get screwed by winning percentage due to a cancelled game or two. Heck it could cost us the B1G tournament in theory due to how tough our schedule is. Even though I have zero doubt we are a top 8 team.
Already the Indiana game is screwing us in not having the tiebreaker with Illinois

3 things: damn Michigan is hot right now, Nebraska is probably missing the BTT this year, and we really need to go at least 5-1 the last two weekends. Those teams are bad.

Maryland is getting back into the mix for the B1G tournament. We need Nebraska and Michigan to step up this weekend and bury Maryland/Rutgers. Then Maryland/Rutgers play each other next weekend and can finish themselves off.

Also...is Purdue going to win the conference?!

Thanks for all your posts this year. I know Nebraska’s season hasn’t been a cakewalk but any conference coverage is appreciated.

Going from winning the league to not making the tournament in your own back yard is a kick in the shorts for sure. Iowa should draw well in Omaha though.....good luck

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT