ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Baseball Scores, Standings & Tournament Bracket (5/27)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004
May 27

Big Ten Tournament Championship
Ohio State 3, Nebraska 1

Standings
1. Indiana (36-21, 17-7)
2. Michigan (41-18, 16-7)
3. Illinois (36-19, 15-9)
3. Minnesota (29-27, 15-9)
3. Nebraska (31-23, 15-9)
6. Iowa (31-24, 12-12)
6. Maryland (29-29, 12-12)
6. Ohio State (35-25, 12-12)
9. Northwestern (24-27, 11-13)
10. Rutgers (20-31, 9-14)
11. Michigan State (20-34, 8-15)
12. Purdue (20-34, 7-16)
13. Penn State (22-27, 4-18)

NCAA Tournament
Begins Friday, May 31

Corvallis Region

#1 Oregon State (36-18-1) vs. #4 Cincinnati (30-29)
#2 Creighton (38-11) vs. #3 Michigan (41-18) (3:00 p.m. - ESPN3)

Stillwater Region
#1 Oklahoma State (36-18) vs. #4 Harvard (27-14)
#2 Connecticut (36-23) vs. #3 Nebraska (31-22) (12:00 p.m. - ESPN3)

Oxford Region
#1 Mississippi (37-25) vs. #4 Jacksonville State (37-21)
#2 Illinois (36-19) vs. #3 Clemson (34-24) (3:00 p.m. - ESPNU)

Nashville Region
#1 Vanderbilt (49-10) vs. #4 Ohio State (35-25) (6:00 p.m. - ESPN2)
#2 Indiana State (41-16) vs. #3 McNeese State (35-24)

Louisville Region
#1 Louisville (43-15) vs. #4 Illinois-Chicago (29-21)
#2 Indiana (36-21) vs. #3 Illinois State (34-24) (1:00 p.m. - ESPN3)

Last edited:
I haven't looked at their schedule, but, man, what's going on with the Gophers?

Big Ten with some nice wins lately. Huskers got a series win over Baylor and going for the sweep today.

Big Ten with some nice wins lately. Huskers got a series win over Baylor and going for the sweep today.

Nice wins for sure. Over the last five years or more I'd say Baylor is one of the most overrated or underachieving programs in baseball. They've been ranked, seeded a #2 in regionals and done squat.

Any word on Dreyer's health? Losing Probst hurts our pitching depth. Hopefully the offense will gain more consistency as we go.

Nebraska pretty much benefits early with easy part of schedule...

Big series this coming weekend!!!! See what nebby is made of...

Go Hawks!!!

Reactions: Couppee
I give Minnesota/Illinois a lot of credit. Going to play on Monday to get all three games in.

As do I.....don't see that type of accommodation too often.

As far as Nebraska's schedule, yeah the league slate has been pretty weak so far, but the Huskers have at least taken advantage of it. The only two losses were to Minnesota on the road, one was in extra innings and one was a walk-off in the bottom of the ninth, so they've been in all the league games. Got some nice OOC wins, so it'll be interesting to see how NU stacks up against the better teams in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIowahawks
Didn't Creighton beat Nebraska decisively?

They've split their two meetings so far. Nebraska won 6-3 in Omaha on March 26, and Creighton won 10-2 in Lincoln last week. The two meet in Omaha for game #3 on April 23

Heading into today's loss against Minnesota, Illinois had the B1G's best RPI at #21. They are now 3-6 in the conference. They have Penn State this weekend in Champaign but then have to face Nebraska and Indiana in consecutive weekends. They finish with Rutgers and Michigan State. Illinois has to be getting a bit concerned about making the B1G conference tournament. If they go 1-2 against both Indiana and Nebraska, the Illini would have to go 7-2 in the rest of their games just to get to .500 in the conference. Their backs are truly against the wall at this point.

Heading into today's loss against Minnesota, Illinois had the B1G's best RPI at #21. They are now 3-6 in the conference. They have Penn State this weekend in Champaign but then have to face Nebraska and Indiana in consecutive weekends. They finish with Rutgers and Michigan State. Illinois has to be getting a bit concerned about making the B1G conference tournament. If they go 1-2 against both Indiana and Nebraska, the Illini would have to go 7-2 in the rest of their games just to get to .500 in the conference. Their backs are truly against the wall at this point.

Getting swept kills. Look at Iowa, we’ve won three of four series and sit at 7-5.

If Illinois can't go 7-2 against PSU, MSU and Purdue, they probably don't deserve to go. It would help if they didn't give away games like they did yesterday. 2 errors in the 7th inning, then 3 walks and a HBP in the 8th to give up a 4-1 lead.

If Illinois can't go 7-2 against PSU, MSU and Purdue, they probably don't deserve to go. It would help if they didn't give away games like they did yesterday. 2 errors in the 7th inning, then 3 walks and a HBP in the 8th to give up a 4-1 lead.

Winning 7 out of 9 in baseball against 3 separate conference opponents is a tall task. Nebraska may have swept PSU but all games were close. Purdue gave Indiana everything it could handle in a mid-week game last week. Rutgers could very well get one win out of three. Very little margin for error.

I still want my time and money back from last year's Big Ten Tourney here in the Big O, wow what a clunker!! Those 10 a.m. first pitches did us no favor, the Hawks in attendance were just waiting for a chance to erupt! Hopefully Iowa makes it back, although with Neb playing well it may be overran with Big Red this May.
Besides football, the Big Ten Title game in '17 is still burned in my memory, late in that game the "let's go Hawks" chants were amazing and that walk up crowd 30 min before gametime wrapped around TDAmeritrade was something to behold, Go Hawks, back to Omaha!

I still want my time and money back from last year's Big Ten Tourney here in the Big O, wow what a clunker!! Those 10 a.m. first pitches did us no favor, the Hawks in attendance were just waiting for a chance to erupt! Hopefully Iowa makes it back, although with Neb playing well it may be overran with Big Red this May.
Besides football, the Big Ten Title game in '17 is still burned in my memory, late in that game the "let's go Hawks" chants were amazing and that walk up crowd 30 min before gametime wrapped around TDAmeritrade was something to behold, Go Hawks, back to Omaha!

9am was the start time and yeah it was disappointing. If Nebraska makes it there will be plenty of Nebby fans.

My dream scenario would be Iowa vs Nebraska in the title game. I think we could come close to 24k on a Sunday afternoon.

9am was the start time and yeah it was disappointing. If Nebraska makes it there will be plenty of Nebby fans.

My dream scenario would be Iowa vs Nebraska in the title game. I think we could come close to 24k on a Sunday afternoon.
This! Would love that classic battle, a few years ago a Nebraska game there drew in excess of 18-20,000, which was double the attendance of the ENTIRE tournament for two years in a row I believe. Cool venue and area, hoping Iowa keeps winning and gets back there, any outside chance of at an large regional bid?

Reactions: ipiteu2
This! Would love that classic battle, a few years ago a Nebraska game there drew in excess of 18-20,000, which was double the attendance of the ENTIRE tournament for two years in a row I believe. Cool venue and area, hoping Iowa keeps winning and gets back there, any outside chance of at an large regional bid?

Iowa would have to go on an absolute tear for an at large.

Could not lose another midweek game and would for sure need to go 2-1 vs Nebby, Maryland, Irvine, and sweep the others. With our inconsistent hitting, injuries, and pitching bullpen issues at times I don’t see it.

With that said one game and weekend at a time. Win today then take care of business vs Nebby. Iowa can get it done, they are 5-1 vs Oklahoma StAte/Illinois. They just have bad games against bad teams sometimes.

I’d also recommend getting the all tournament tickets at $50 a pop that way you have them and no concerns if Iowa makes it and goes on a run.

Nebraska fans found out the hard way it doesn’t always work out last year, chance you take.

Winning 7 out of 9 in baseball against 3 separate conference opponents is a tall task. Nebraska may have swept PSU but all games were close. Purdue gave Indiana everything it could handle in a mid-week game last week. Rutgers could very well get one win out of three. Very little margin for error.

Illinois plays MSU, not Rutgers. You're right though, a hole has been dug to make it much tougher now.

Illinois plays MSU, not Rutgers. You're right though, a hole has been dug to make it much tougher now.

Yep . . . was examining a lot of teams' schedules and got mixed up . . . Illinois has PSU, Nebbie, Indiana, Purdue, MSU to finish their B1G season. Dropped to #30 RPI.

Nebraska down to #42. (Iowa has 3 games)
Indiana up to #20.
Michigan at #62.
Iowa down to #84.
Minnesota at #75.
Maryland at #73. (Iowa has 3 games)
Northwestern at #93. (Iowa has 1 game)

Not a lot of RPI love for the B1G. Best chance for good RPI wins will come this weekend.

Updated after 4/17 games

Maryland's loss yesterday to #270 RPI George Mason (who beat Iowa in the opening game this year) keeps Maryland's RPI trending in wrong direction. They are now down to #77. (Idle Iowa dropped two spots to #86).

Maryland's loss yesterday to #270 RPI George Mason (who beat Iowa in the opening game this year) keeps Maryland's RPI trending in wrong direction. They are now down to #77. (Idle Iowa dropped two spots to #86).

Latest B1G RPI (per NCAA):

21. Indiana
32. Illinois
38. Nebraska
64. Michigan
73. Minnesota
77. Maryland
86. Iowa
93. Northwestern
160. Ohio State
167. Purdue
168. Rutgers
170. Penn State
187. Michigan State

Illinois travels to Lincoln for a 3 game set this weekend.

According to Warren Nolan’s site, Iowa will lose RPI points no matter who wins/loses tonight’s game.

If Nebraska wins, Iowa loses 2.5 points.
If Illinois wins, Iowa loses 3.4 points.

If Iowa wins tonight, it earns 38 RPI points. A loss causes them to lose 30 points. For Iowa to keep climbing the RPI ladder, a series win is a must. And it’s time to hope for some teams that Iowa is chasing to have rough weekends.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Illinois travels to Lincoln for a 3 game set this weekend.

According to Warren Nolan’s site, Iowa will lose RPI points no matter who wins/loses tonight’s game.

If Nebraska wins, Iowa loses 2.5 points.
If Illinois wins, Iowa loses 3.4 points.

If Iowa wins tonight, it earns 38 RPI points. A loss causes them to lose 30 points. For Iowa to keep climbing the RPI ladder, a series win is a must. And it’s time to hope for some teams that Iowa is chasing to have rough weekends.

You’re right that feature is addictive

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT