ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Baseball Scores, Final Standings & Tournament Bracket (5/29)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004
Big Ten Tournament
First Round - May 26

Penn State 5, Iowa 2
Rutgers 10, Purdue 3
Maryland 6, Indiana 5 (11 inn)
Michigan 7, Illinois 5

Day #2 - May 27
Iowa 5, Purdue 4 (Purdue eliminated)
Rutgers 5, Penn State 4 (10 inn)
Indiana 8, Illinois 1 (Illinois eliminated)
Michigan 15, Maryland 8

Day #3 - May 28
Iowa 11, Penn State 3 (PSU eliminated)
Indiana 6, Maryland 4 (Maryland eliminated)
Iowa 7, Michigan 3
Rutgers 14, Indiana 2 (Indiana eliminated)

Day #4 - May 29
Michigan 13, Iowa 1 (Iowa eliminated)
Michigan 10, Rutgers 4

Michigan wins the Big Ten Tournament

Standings

1. Maryland (45-12, 18-5)
2. Illinois (31-22, 17-7)
2. Iowa (36-19, 17-7)
2. Rutgers (44-15, 17-7)
5. Michigan (32-26, 12-12)
6. Penn State (26-29, 11-13)
7. Purdue (29-21, 9-12)
8. Indiana (27-32, 10-14)
8. Nebraska (23-30, 10-14)
8. Northwestern (24-27, 10-14)
11. Ohio State (21-30, 8-14)
12. Michigan State (24-30, 8-16)
13. Minnesota (16-36, 6-18)

Maryland is the 2022 Big Ten regular season champion.

Michigan is the 2022 Big Ten Tournament champion

Last edited:
Well, with the exception of Maryland it seems like the Big Ten as a whole is struggling. Hopefully the win today gets us moving in the right direction

I understand the success and significant coaching transition over the past decade, but Indiana’s record is surprising. Half of me wants Tracy Smith back in the conference if things go pear-shaped another year.

Nebraska 4-6; Indiana 3-7; Minnesota 2-8; OSU 2-9.

What a weird year in B1G baseball.

EDIT: Nebraska keeps losing close games. They have a lot of 1 and 2 run losses.

Ugh! Still no Cimino, Sleight or Sheikopher (sp?) for us and you have another quality right hander going today. I’m getting a little nervous.

That series still makes me nervous
As it should. Huskers would probably like nothing better than to play the role of spoiler through the balance of the season and, let’s face it, there is a sting mutual dislike.

Niece and Nephew live in Lincoln so we're taking them to the series this weekend. Looks like Nebraska has some pitching talent but one of the lowest batting averages in the conference while Iowa is battling to be a top 3-4 team in conference. Anyone have any tips or what to watch for in this weekend's matchup?

Reactions: Alum-Ni
Niece and Nephew live in Lincoln so we're taking them to the series this weekend. Looks like Nebraska has some pitching talent but one of the lowest batting averages in the conference while Iowa is battling to be a top 3-4 team in conference. Anyone have any tips or what to watch for in this weekend's matchup?

If you are going Friday enjoy Adam Mazur pitching, he throws mid 90s and has a shot at pitching professionally. Look for Brody Brecht out of the bullpen, he can throw 100 mph and has a shot at being a high draft pick in a couple of years. A couple of real good hitters to look for are Keaton Anthony and Peyton Williams, both have good power and are a huge part of the offense.

Look for Brody Brecht out of the bullpen, he can throw 100 mph and has a shot at being a high draft pick in a couple of years.

Given the circumstances under which Brecht is currently being used on weekends, I am crossing my fingers that @DutchyFunStar doesn't see him pitch.

EDIT: I suppose if Iowa is sitting on a very large lead, Brecht might pitch in that situation. I amend my above-statement.

April 24
Penn State 6, Minnesota 5
Rutgers 10, Iowa 4
Nebraska 19, Indiana 7
Ohio State 6, Michigan 5
Belmont 8, Purdue 6
Michigan State 11, Northwestern 7

Standings
1. Rutgers (32-9, 12-3)
2. Maryland (32-8, 9-3)
3. Illinois (20-17, 11-4)
4. Iowa (23-13, 8-4)
4. Michigan (22-16, 8-4)
6. Northwestern (18-17, 6-6)
7. Penn State (17-20, 7-8)
8. Nebraska (15-23, 5-7)
9. Purdue (22-13, 4-6)
10. Indiana (16-23, 4-8)
11. Michigan State (16-21, 3-9)
12. Ohio State (13-23, 3-10)
13. Minnesota (11-26, 2-10)

Games for Tuesday, April 26
Hofstra at Rutgers
Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Northwestern
Bucknell at Penn State
Valparaiso at Purdue
Indiana at Butler
Michigan State vs. #18 Notre Dame (at Detroit)
Navy at #24 Maryland
South Dakota State at Minnesota
Western Illinois at Iowa
Kansas State at Nebraska
4 BT series remaining all against teams under .500 in BT play. 3 or the 4 with losing record all games. They have a shot to create some serious noise down the. stretch!!

Given the circumstances under which Brecht is currently being used on weekends, I am crossing my fingers that @DutchyFunStar doesn't see him pitch.

EDIT: I suppose if Iowa is sitting on a very large lead, Brecht might pitch in that situation. I amend my above-statement.

He's been brought in on a couple of high leverage mid week games. IIRC he pitched both Bradley games and looked really good. He's having the typical freshman control issues but his stuff is legit MLB caliber.

I know he loves football but I think he's making a mistake playing both. If he was able to focus on just pitching he could easily be an upper 1st round pick. Perhaps he has that shot in football too but we haven't seen him on the field much.

Weather looks rainy except for Sunday. So pay attention to that.

He's been brought in on a couple of high leverage mid week games. IIRC he pitched both Bradley games and looked really good. He's having the typical freshman control issues but his stuff is legit MLB caliber.

I know he loves football but I think he's making a mistake playing both. If he was able to focus on just pitching he could easily be an upper 1st round pick. Perhaps he has that shot in football too but we haven't seen him on the field much.

Yes . . . he has MLB caliber "stuff." Don't disagree.
Has he harnessed it yet? No. Not even close.
We saw the "good" Brecht against Bradley. His performance was in a high leverage situation; if memory served Iowa was down a few runs and they needed him to hold Bradley down. He did exactly that; in impressive fashion. That written, it was very clear that Bradley's hitters were overmatched. Different caliber of offensive player in weekend B1G play.

In a smattering of B1G play, he has had very little control. Lots of walks and some eye-opening wild pitches. There have been high leverage situations presented in B1G play and Heller has used him once (in the Illinois marathon where nearly everyone pitched).

Very much looking forward to him having a full season of pitching in Clinton (I think he's with Lumberkings this summer). He needs reps. And, let's face it, Iowa's situation right now is not one where it can afford to throw a pitcher out there and let him work through struggles.

While I'm not particularly surprised at control issues out of either he or Morgan, I'll admit to being disappointed that they haven't harnessed their abilities better thus far. And, if you were able to get Heller to talk frankly and never have his comments come to light, I'd bet that he's disappointed as well. Imagine those two lively arms being reliable arms in the 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th innings right now. Damn.

Lots to look forward to in '23. Fingers crossed.

As for the "duel" track, I agree. That written, he's training with Jeff Szmardjia's (sp?) brother. I'm anticipating that he feels he can be a star in both sports. (And I don't blame him)

John Anderson of Minnesota is 67. He went 6-31 in 2021 and finished last in the B1G.

Minnesota is in last place again this year (15-33, 5-16).

Makes you wonder if there will be a coaching change.

If Michigan gets swept by Rutgers they could miss the conference tournament. Wouldn't have thought that three weeks ago.

If my math is correct, 7th and 8th spots in B1G tournament still open.
They are, Indiana owns tiebreaker over Nebraska but Purdue and Northwestern own tiebreaker over them. They haven’t played MSU.

I think Indiana clinches by winning just 1.

Nebraska can only get in by winning last two over MSU -AND- have Purdue get swept by Maryland

ADVERTISEMENT