ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Brackets Released

Apr 8, 2003
BRACKETS

Wrestling Championships Central | Track Hub

Big Ten Releases Tournament Brackets for 2022 Conference Championships

LINCOLN, Neb.
-- Tournament brackets and opening round matchups have been released for the 2022 Big Ten Wrestling Championships in Lincoln, Nebraska. The two-day tournament begins Saturday at 10 a.m. (CT).

For more information on the 2022 Big Ten Wrestling Championships visit bigten.org.

IOWA’S FIRST ROUND/QUARTERFINAL MATCHUPS

125 - #6 Drake Ayala (IA) vs. #11 Tristan Lujan (MSU)
133 - #2 Austin DeSanto (IA) vs. #7 Chris Cannon (NU)/#10 Dominick Serrano (NEB)
141 - #2 Jaydin Eierman (IA) vs. #7 Dylan D’Emilio (OSU)/#10 Frankie Tel Sharar (NU)
149 - #4 Max Murin (IA) vs. #13 Payton Omania (MSU)
157 - #2 Kaleb Young (IA) vs. #7 Garrett Model (WIS)/#10 Brady Berge (WIS)
165 - #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) vs. #7 Hayden Lohrey (PU)/#10 Creighton Edsell (PSU)
174 - #4 Michael Kemerer (IA) vs. #13 Connor O’Neill (RU)
184 - #5 Abe Assad (IA) vs. #12 Zach Braunagel (ILL)
197 - #4 Jacob Warner (IA) vs. #13 Nick WIllham (IND)
285 - #2 Tony Cassioppi (IA) vs. #7 Trent Hilger (WIS)/#10 Jacob Bullock (IND)

Last edited:
Super nervous about the potential “upset” quarterfinal between Young and Berge. Berge’s win over Young at Natty’s still hurts. Maybe Model gets it done, but I’m leaning towards Berge in the 10 v 7 matchup
Have all the faith in the world for Young over burger in that match IF burger even gets there? Young has a first round bye so will have plenty of time to fuel up, Burger is cutting down and is the underdog(on paper) in a first round match.

Super nervous about the potential “upset” quarterfinal between Young and Berge. Berge’s win over Young at Natty’s still hurts. Maybe Model gets it done, but I’m leaning towards Berge in the 10 v 7 matchup
Between how Kaleb is wrestling and how Alex throttled Berge Young will get it done if Berge even gets there. It will be low scoring as both guys are tough on defense and are not offensive machines.

Berge likes to hit the ankle pick or go behind off the other guys shot and blocks off well hoping you force a bad shot for his go behind. Bull showed what kind of aggression is needed to vs him. Last year Kaleb was tentative, got ankle picked early and Berge blocked off the rest of the match.

I really wish T n T would do more scouting for their opponents. In an interview I watched, Tom said they focus on our guys and not the other team's guys. While I get that, I hope this isn't true. That is how you get beat against guys that are your caliber and are scouting you. I know it is up to the wrestler to impose his will, but why not give him that extra edge. Just my 2 cents worth.

I really wish T n T would do more scouting for their opponents. In an interview I watched, Tom said they focus on our guys and not the other team's guys. While I get that, I hope this isn't true. That is how you get beat against guys that are your caliber and are scouting you. I know it is up to the wrestler to impose his will, but why not give him that extra edge. Just my 2 cents worth.
I've mentioned this before. I know there are times where we look like we have no clue about opponent tendencies. I can only hope that it's mostly just coach speak.

I didn’t take a deep dive, but I didn’t notice any changes from the preseeds. Were there any?

I may be in the minority in this opinion but all I want out of this weekend is 10 qualifiers and a healthy group of 10 heading into Natty’s. You won’t see me complaining if we get a few big ten champs, but two weeks from now is the big moment for our veteran led team.

A plus for me would be seeing Jacob and Abe Assad wrestle above seed. I think those two are crucial in our postseason push. Abe has lost 4 out of 5, so seeing him get some positive momentum heading forward would be a great sign. Jacob has the talent to beat every 197 in the country a good run this weekend could give him the confidence he needs to close strong.

Last but certainly not least, I wanna see drake being able to score on his opponents left leg. With the shoulder brace on his left arm his left sweep single could be compromised, especially if he doesn’t finish quick and gets caught in a whizzer. That sweep single of his is an elite offensive weapon, a possible bright side to his injury could be his willingness and need to work to the opposite side.

The nerves have kicked in for me, and I can not wait till 10Am tomorrow. Let’s get this started and finish this healthy.

I'm just so intrigued how HWT is going to be seeded come NCAA's because this weekend could make it even bigger of a mess than it already is with the elite B1G guys (Gable, Cass, Kirk, Parris) opposite the undefeated Hendrickson and Schultz.

We really need Anthony to put on a Casswhoopin this weekend and make the finals.

I'm just so intrigued how HWT is going to be seeded come NCAA's because this weekend could make it even bigger of a mess than it already is with the elite B1G guys (Gable, Cass, Kirk, Parris) opposite the undefeated Hendrickson and Schultz.

We really need Anthony to put on a Casswhoopin this weekend and make the finals.
The Heavy bracket is about as good as we could expect so he just needs to keep up the really solid wresting as of late.

I've mentioned this before. I know there are times where we look like we have no clue about opponent tendencies. I can only hope that it's mostly just coach speak.
Spencer has publicly stated that he never scouts opponents and focuses on what he can do. I'm good with that. I'm sure other guys do. In Murin's recent interview his response to that type of question implied that he does scout opponents, but he's young and prideful so he had to make sure we knew he doesn't obsess over them.

Don’t let ‘em kid you…they scout.

Spencer has publicly stated that he never scouts opponents and focuses on what he can do. I'm good with that. I'm sure other guys do. In Murin's recent interview his response to that type of question implied that he does scout opponents, but he's young and prideful so he had to make sure we knew he doesn't obsess over them.
I assume every wrestler and coach 'scouts' others, which means they generally know what others are good at. You have to be stupid to not know. I think the question is the relative time you spend in practice on perfecting your favored moves, adding a new offensive tool/trick to help overtake a nemesis, or improving a defensive 'move' to neutralize a nemesis. All are important, but I suppose some wrestlers/coaches spend differing (and sometimes not enough) time on all 3.

Don’t let ‘em kid you…they scout.
Yep! Drake mentioned earlier in the year, “that he needed to see the tape” before being able to answer a question from a reporter. Granted, that’s a pretty chalk answer, and a sly way to avoid answering a question, but I think it indicates that he scouts.

How much everyone scouts is likely up to the wrestler. A guy like Spencer may not need to scout as much as say n incoming freshman.

Having said all that, I do cringe every time our wrestlers or TNT mention lack of scouting. Me being the analytical type, I say take advantage of every opportunity you got.

Have all the faith in the world for Young over burger in that match IF burger even gets there? Young has a first round bye so will have plenty of time to fuel up, Burger is cutting down and is the underdog(on paper) in a first round match.

Between how Kaleb is wrestling and how Alex throttled Berge Young will get it done if Berge even gets there. It will be low scoring as both guys are tough on defense and are not offensive machines.
My *ssholes gonna be puckered tight that whole match. I’ll feel better if Model takes out Berge. Young rode Model like a pony in their last meeting

ADVERTISEMENT