ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Chances in Bowls ((not ))

illhawkdvv

HR MVP
Sep 10, 2008
I sure hope against all odds that the league comes out with a good record in the bowls this year but looking at the line up I can't see how this will happen. Can't remember the league drawing a tougher list of opponents. Do you agree with me or not?

It really depends on a lot of things. For example, If Michigan played Alabama a month or two ago, Alabama would’ve destroyed them. But in a bowl, with no championship this year and the NFL calling, how motivated will Alabama really be?

I like the matchups this year and if the Big Ten is as good as everyone thinks, we could have a good showing. Unfortunately, it really comes down to Ohio State. If they get blasted by Clemson again, nobody will care if the conference wins the Citrus or the Holiday Bowl other than those fan bases.

Well the Big Ten West had lost 1 game the last two years so I hope to see the same results.

It is always kind of tough for the B1G. We are almost always the team that has to travel the furthest and none of the bowls are close.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Seems to me that we landed so many upper tier teams in NY6 games and the playoff, that the next teams in line for B1G tie-in games are really “playing up” against the other conference teams.

The Hawks are basically the 6th team in the B1G, playing against USC, who would be 3rd or 4th best Pac12 team. Playing about an hour or hour and a half away from their home field.

I don’t have time to do a run-down like that. Obviously it is pretty even at the top, but the further down the pecking order you go, the more out of whack it gets, probably.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Seems to me that we landed so many upper tier teams in NY6 games and the playoff, that the next teams in line for B1G tie-in games are really “playing up” against the other conference teams.

The Hawks are basically the 6th team in the B1G, playing against USC, who would be 3rd or 4th best Pac12 team. Playing about an hour or hour and a half away from their home field.

I don’t have time to do a run-down like that. Obviously it is pretty even at the top, but the further down the pecking order you go, the more out of whack it gets, probably.
2-6 and may 2-7 (including Indy) are close and the B1G is better than the PAC 12.

Iowa usually does end up playing up, but I'm thrilled with our draw. Because its USC there will be a lot of eyeballs on this game. They appear to be fairly one dimensional on offense, (although very good at that), and if we can get some pressure on their freshman stud QB, I like our chances. I doubt USC has seen many defenses as good as Iowa. Minny had a great pass game with multiple stud WR's and we controlled that game. The key will be too be good enough on offense to control the clock, and finish those drives. We actually moved the ball fairly well in several games, just didn't finish them. I think KF will go with the formula for the latter part of the season, and take the ball if we have the option to start the game. We appeared to start the last several games better by taking the ball and being more aggressive from the start.

It makes sense that the draw is tough this year. One team in the CFP and two teams playing NY Six games (I know, technically the Cotton Bowl isn't NY6, but PSU was picked at large for their game) means all the remaining B10 teams played up a bowl or two over their conference ranking. It happens every time the B10 is top heavy like it was this year. Better to have the challenges like that than get stuck in the PAC12 situation where all of their teams play below their conference finishes against other bowl teams.

That's why the PAC12 hardly ever gets any marquee matchups. The only two PAC12 bowls that are intriguing this year are Oregon/UW and USC/Iowa. Utah got screwed with a matchup against a bad Texas team, but that's the PAC12's fault for lining up shitty bowls and never getting anyone into the CFP (or even 2 teams into the NY6). And even with the PAC12's favorable matchups they STILL somehow have shitty overall bowl records every year. They've become a garbage league. Not as bad as the ACC, but well below what they used to be.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Big 12 is underdog in every bowl.
not a shocker, they are overrated.

baylor/okie both will get killed----some of these bowl matchups are just stupid. apparently they don't care if people are watching after the first quarter ;)
wouldn't be surprised if isu/texas gets a decent whooping too

haven't really looked at their other matchups.

Couple years ago B1G won all but one (Michigan) of the bowls they played in.

Ohio St..W
Penn St..W
Michigan..L
Wisconsin..W
Iowa..W
Indiana..W
Michigan St..W
Minnesota..L
Illinois..W
7-2 this year is my guess

Reactions: ichawk24

Ohio St..W
Penn St..W
Michigan..L
Wisconsin..W
Iowa..W
Indiana..W
Michigan St..W
Minnesota..L
Illinois..W
Michigan game pissed me off. Blew a 4th quarter lead keeping Big Ten from being perfect.

Last edited:
I would imagine you could get about 100 to 1 odds on the BIG finishing 7-2 in this years bowl games if you wish to go to Vegas.

Reactions: BioHawk
The next time Iowa plays well west of the Rockies will be the first time Iowa plays well west of the Rockies, at least in my lifetime. Judging from history, you probably need to spot USC two touchdowns based on that alone.

2010 Insight Bowl? Seemed to play just fine that night. 7-5 Iowa beat a 10-2 Mizzou.

I also think we played well in the 2010 Arizona game. But lost to an NFL QB.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
2010 Insight Bowl? Seemed to play just fine that night. 7-5 Iowa beat a 10-2 Mizzou.

I also think we played well in the 2010 Arizona game. But lost to an NFL QB.

Well, I would argue about them playing "well" against Arizona that year, but underperforming in top games seemed to be a hallmark of that team.

But your point is taken. West of the Sierra Nevada Mountains then :p But then they did win a Holiday Bowl way back in the day, but I think I was in high school when that happened...or at least it seems that long ago.

Ohio St..W
Penn St..W
Michigan..L
Wisconsin..W
Iowa..W
Indiana..W
Michigan St..W
Minnesota..L
Illinois..W
The game I'd stay away from right now is the OSU-Clemson game. The key to this game is Fields' strained left knee. Ryan Day said today in his press conference that they expect it to heal up close to 100% - if not 100% - with the 3 weeks off. If that's the case and Fields is able to run again (unlike the last two against Michigan and Wisky), I'll go with OSU. If not, I'd have to bet on Clemson.

Reactions: Buck2427
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT