ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Conference Championship W/L Record

Teldar

Scout Team
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2010
With such a deep Big Ten this year, I'm kind of curious what record it will take to win the conference.

Looking back at previous conference champion records, since 1983, there have been only two years that a team won with 5 losses: 2002 (Illinois, Indiana, & Wisconsin 11-5) and 2012 (Michigan, Mich. State, & Ohio State 13-5). In those years, they weren't playing 20 Big Ten games like today. If you look at it in a winning % perspective, the lowest percentage was 2002 (68.75%) going back to 1926.

Translating that to this year, for a 20 game Big Ten schedule, a 68.75% win rate would equate to a 13.75 & 6.25 W/L record. Obviously, you can't win partial games so to break that record, the Big Ten Champion would need a 13-7 record.

My personal prediction is that a 14-6 record wins the Big Ten conference but I think there is distinct possibility of 13-7 champion. If that happens, you could see 4+ co champions (which would be a record).

Food for thought.

I can see the terps or sparty as B1G champs with 15 wins. 14-6 would not surprise me, though, if that was the final total which brings illanoy and yes even Iowa into the mix.
Don't think it will fall all the way to 13-7.

I can see the terps or sparty as B1G champs with 15 wins. 14-6 would not surprise me, though, if that was the final total which brings illanoy and yes even Iowa into the mix.
Don't think it will fall all the way to 13-7.
I tend to agree with you. However, if ever it was going to happen, this is the year. I think it will be a very long time before we see this much parity again in the conference.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I tend to agree with you. However, if ever it was going to happen, this is the year. I think it will be a very long time before we see this much parity again in the conference.
Agree. Outside of nebby and jnw, both of which are bad, there is less separating 1 from 12 than I can recall previously.

Illinois is 8-3 with 5 remaining home games and one of its road games is NW. Probably ends up with 14 or 15 wins.

MSU still has to play at Illinois and at Maryland. Maryland has to play at Illinois, MSU and Rutgers.

Pretty strong odds that Illinois will be playing for the championship, or at least a tie for the title, when the Hawks travel there for what will be the final game played in the Big Ten regular season.

Pretty strong odds that Illinois will be playing for the championship, or at least a tie for the title, when the Hawks travel there for what will be the final game played in the Big Ten regular season.

Agree. They have won at Wisconsin, at Michigan and at Purdue. 2 at Michigan on a Dosunmu jumper with 0.5 seconds left. Then won by 1 at Wisconsin after Beshanivsili missed a FT and Trice missed for Wisconsin with 3 seconds left. Those are 3 good road wins. Like everyone, they have tough games left. But they play both Northwestern and Nebraska, which is an advantage. Road games at Rutgers, Northwestern, OSU, PSU. Rutgers, OSU, PSU are certainly lose-able but also winnable for them.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Wouldn't that be a great game if the conference title was on the line between Iowa v. Illinois at this game?

I think we finish 11-9, 20-11 if we don't lose at home during the final 8 games.
At this point get to 17-7.. split the Indiana Minny games and then grab the two revenge tour home games against PSU and Purdue. 20 Wins is very solid this year.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Essentially hold home court.
With the 8 games left it's conceivable Iowa wins out at home and loses out on the road.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Essentially hold home court.
With the 8 games left it's conceivable Iowa wins out at home and loses out on the road.

FlickeringFaithfulAsiandamselfly-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT