ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten considering 8-game conference schedule and dropping divisions

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005
Nice piece from Dochterman.

Dropping divisions would be good. I'd prefer more conference games, but the one upside to 8 games would be another OOC spot for a P5 other than ISU.

The future College Football Playoff format could have a major impact on whether the Big Ten eliminates divisions or changes the number of its annual conference games, Iowa athletics director Gary Barta told The Athletic.

The Big Ten currently has East and West divisions and plays a nine-game conference schedule that includes three cross-divisional games. Big Ten administrators have discussed dropping to eight games beginning in 2023 so it can create matchups with teams from the Pac-12 and ACC conferences, with which the trio has a working arrangement called The Alliance.

There also are serious discussions about the Big Ten ending divisional play with schools playing three opponents annually and cycling through the other 10 teams either every other year or two years on, two years off.

"We've had several conversations," Barta said. "One of the things that we're watching is whether it's related to The Alliance, which we're talking through and/or, what gives us the best opportunity to have the most success in the College Football Playoff format?

"We’re wondering if we're going to know what the format is before we have to make that decision. So, we're kind of waiting to see where that lands. But we have had active conversations about the schedule beyond 2022."

The Big Ten released a revised schedule for 2022 earlier in January, accommodating six location switches and balancing and dispersing its marquee matchups throughout the season.

Nice piece from Dochterman.

Dropping divisions would be good. I'd prefer more conference games, but the one upside to 8 games would be another OOC spot for a P5 other than ISU.

The future College Football Playoff format could have a major impact on whether the Big Ten eliminates divisions or changes the number of its annual conference games, Iowa athletics director Gary Barta told The Athletic.

The Big Ten currently has East and West divisions and plays a nine-game conference schedule that includes three cross-divisional games. Big Ten administrators have discussed dropping to eight games beginning in 2023 so it can create matchups with teams from the Pac-12 and ACC conferences, with which the trio has a working arrangement called The Alliance.

There also are serious discussions about the Big Ten ending divisional play with schools playing three opponents annually and cycling through the other 10 teams either every other year or two years on, two years off.

"We've had several conversations," Barta said. "One of the things that we're watching is whether it's related to The Alliance, which we're talking through and/or, what gives us the best opportunity to have the most success in the College Football Playoff format?

"We’re wondering if we're going to know what the format is before we have to make that decision. So, we're kind of waiting to see where that lands. But we have had active conversations about the schedule beyond 2022."

The Big Ten released a revised schedule for 2022 earlier in January, accommodating six location switches and balancing and dispersing its marquee matchups throughout the season.

I don't see how this would be an improvement really. Would there be a B1G championship game? Maybe top 2, like the Big 12? That would make it much harder for the Hawks to get there.

So, if there are 8 conference games, that means 4 at home. Iowa wants 7 home games, leaving 3 NonCon opponents. ISU is a home/home series, so every other year it's on the road. The Hawks have to schedule 2 directional schools that play in IC every year, but that means some years they still only have 6 home games.

So, 7 home games every year (current) to 7 games every other year? Big revenue loss.

I don't see how this help them schedule another P5 school.

I don't see how this would be an improvement really. Would there be a B1G championship game? Maybe top 2, like the Big 12? That would make it much harder for the Hawks to get there.

So, if there are 8 conference games, that means 4 at home. Iowa wants 7 home games, leaving 3 NonCon opponents. ISU is a home/home series, so every other year it's on the road. The Hawks have to schedule 2 directional schools that play in IC every year, but that means some years they still only have 6 home games.

So, 7 home games every year (current) to 7 games every other year? Big revenue loss.

Because there will be a scheduling alliance with the Pac 12. 4 non con games not 3. So in years that Iowa is at ISU then they would have a Pac 12 team and ACC at home.

Because there will be a scheduling alliance with the Pac 12. 4 non con games not 3. So in years that Iowa is at ISU then they would have a Pac 12 team and ACC at home.
I was just talking about home games. Iowa needs 3 Non con games to get to 7.

But, I do see your point - 4 non con games total, Hawks get two directional schools and either ISU or another P5 at home.

It works.

Iowa would still get 7 home games a year because if there's only 8 conference games, Iowa would play 4 non-conference games.
  • Even Year Home Games (e.g., 2022):
    • ISU + 2 cupcakes + 4 Big Ten games
  • Odd Year Home Games (e.g., 2023):
    • Power 5 opponent + 2 cupcakes + 4 Big Ten games

I'd rather see the Big Ten add 2 teams and go to four 4 team divisions and have a 4 team playoff for the conference title.

in that scenario, an 8 game conference schedule wouldn't be so bad...

but adopting the Big 12's formula is just no good... no good at all, imo

Reactions: warriors dad
I think with the alliance you will play 1 ACC and 1 Pac team each year, one home and one on the road then flip it the following year. This leaves 2 non-con games to schedule as you wish. If you want them to be cupcakes, a traditional rival, etc. it is up to the school. This may be what ends the ISU series unless Iowa wants to play 11 P5 teams each year and only get 6 homes games every other year.

Iowa would still get 7 home games a year because if there's only 8 conference games, Iowa would play 4 non-conference games.
  • Even Year Home Games (e.g., 2022):
    • ISU + 2 cupcakes + 4 Big Ten games
  • Odd Year Home Games (e.g., 2023):
    • Power 5 opponent + 2 cupcakes + 4 Big Ten games
Yeah it's not like this was an issue before they went to 9 games..........

But that's a hard no from me on dropping divisions. That would purely be from a greed standpoint to try to get your annual back to back wet dream of OSU-UM in the Big Ten title game.

Nobody wants that. Not even fans of those programs, save for the worst of the elitists.

This is an example of a schedule under the new proposal:

Central Michigan
at Iowa State
California
Wyoming
at Rutgers
Michigan State
Illinois
at Minnesota*
at Northwestern
Ohio State
at Wisconsin*
Nebraska*

Miami, OH
Iowa State
New Mexico State
at California
at Minnesota*
Indiana
at Michigan
Maryland
Wisconsin*
at Penn State
Purdue
at Nebraska*

Check your math

Can't really blame them given the west's inability to compete in the BTCG. 0 for 8 now I think.
Michigan lost how many in a row to OSU?
Put OSU in the West and the West dominates.
Iowa and Purdue have beaten OSU as many times as anyone in the East.
The West has matched up vs the East the last 5 years.
Just cannot beat OSU, like everyone else in the league.
Michigan? They had a losing record and ducked Iowa in 2020.
One year wonder.

That'll never happen. Politicians would get involved even though they should have no concern with it.
I don’t get this argument. If Texas can stop playing aTm and Okla can stop playing Okla St, what is so powerful about the Iowa Legislature that would block the elimination of the IA-ISU game, which has gone on hiatus before, especially now that the status of ISU’s conference is now in question?

• Wow
Reactions: SickKidsNeed_A_Wave
I don’t get this argument. If Texas can stop playing aTm and Okla can stop playing Okla St, what is so powerful about the Iowa Legislature that would block the elimination of the IA-ISU game, which has gone on hiatus before, especially now that the status of ISU’s conference is now in question?
They started playing again due to pressure from legislators. I could see them actually acting.

• Sad
Reactions: SickKidsNeed_A_Wave
For the legislature to have any say on who plays who in a college football game is just crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT