ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten football head coach buyouts ranked (link)

IlliniHoops91

Team MVP
Mar 9, 2020
https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/l...-head-coach-contract-buyouts-2022-mel-tucker/

This list includes only HCs at public universities so Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern is not on it.

Bret Bielema, Illinois
$10,125,000

Mike Locksley, Maryland
$11,266,667

Greg Schiano, Rutgers
$16,143,750

P.J. Fleck, Minnesota
$19,770,833

Jeff Brohm, Purdue
$24,375,000

Tom Allen, Indiana
$24,900,000

Jim Harbaugh, Michigan
$35,410,651

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
$43,000,000

Ryan Day, Ohio State
$52,416,666

James Franklin, Penn State
$72,666,667

Mel Tucker, Michigan State
$86,687,500

Last edited:
At least we ain't Sparty. Good lord, I can't help but think that MSU has a little bit of buyer's remorse right now.
I agree. OK, someone had posted that he had a 5-7 record at CU, I thought they were joking. I just looked it up, OMG, he got that deal after ONE SEASON + 5-7 record? I thought he had at least a little success. I will admit that CU has been in the toilet for a while, but 5-7?

#gowokegobroke

MSU...

ha-ha-point.gif

The Tucker contract was insane. He had one good season built on transfers, while MSU also allowed the most passing yards in the country, by far. Winning was not in any way sustainable in that manner.
Well, MSU had a good run there for a while and Darth Vader led their program, so maybe its karma.

These contracts are out of control. I don't see any good reason why a coach should ever get any more than 3 years of "sit on your @$$" money if he's fired early.

But apparently the market demands it now, ever since Jimmy Sexton set the bar for the entire CFB universe, in terms of negotiating monstrous fully guaranteed contracts.

Also many of the contracts have a high school-side buyout and a low coach-side buyout (if he leaves).

The candidate can take the "if you won't agree to it, someone else will" position with the ADs. The agents and coaches hold all of the bargaining power now.

Many coaches are paid $8M+, which is essentially "go win us a national championship" money, but only a few are realistic contenders. Many schools are bound to be disappointed and they get a very poor R.O.I.

Last edited:
How much longer does Indiana keep him around? One more year until the buyout reaches under $20M?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT