ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten games tonight, upsets

BeepBeepInMyJeep

HR Legend
Jun 28, 2010
Maryland down by 7 vs Rider
Penn State down by 30 agains Duquesne
OSU down by 8 to UT-Arlington

I know I'm probably making too much out of it but I really hate to see the B1G lose games like this

No chance Maryland loses this one. They're on a tear right now.

But it's Rider for gosh sakes...the Terps are playing at home and they are supposed to be t#3 team in the entire country. Man I do not see this at all. Does Rider have a player over 6'7" inches out there?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Plus...
Wisky lost to Georgetown.
Northwestern losing to Columbia.
Minnesota lost to Temple yesterday and then barely beat Missouri State today.

Big Ten kinda lookin' like dog crap the last couple of nights.

Don't put Iowa in this crap list. In fact, next to the MSU win, I would put Iowa's true road win against a talented team as one the most impressive wins I've seen so far in this early season. UM beating Rider in their friendly confines just doesn't do it for me and here comes Rider back....not going away so easy.

Plus...
Wisky lost to Georgetown.
Northwestern losing to Columbia.
Minnesota lost to Temple yesterday and then barely beat Missouri State today.

Big Ten kinda lookin' like dog crap the last couple of nights.

You know, I was really surprised in the off season when people were saying that Wisconsin would still be a top 25 team. I personally saw nothing from Hayes or Koening last season that made me believe they would be able to lead the Badgers to that status this year (those were the two names I heard often from people high on the Badgers). Still a young season, but I just don't see Wisconsin as anything other than a middle-of-the-pack B1G team this year.

While early season struggles from our conference foes gives me some confidence in our final conference standings, it is concerning in terms of the strength of schedule and how the conference is perceived at the end of the year for tournament seeding. I think teams will probably get on track and the perception won't be a big dea but if severa teams start dropping these non-con games it could be a slight issue.

You know, I was really surprised in the off season when people were saying that Wisconsin would still be a top 25 team. I personally saw nothing from Hayes or Koening last season that made me believe they would be able to lead the Badgers to that status this year (those were the two names I heard often from people high on the Badgers). Still a young season, but I just don't see Wisconsin as anything other than a middle-of-the-pack B1G team this year.
I agree that it will be a tough year for Bo; but Hayes is a real stud. Koenig, not so much; way overated

Our schedule is just brutal this year. We get Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and NW twice. It seems like Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland are the best teams in the conference (along with Iowa) and we have to play 4 out of those 5 teams twice. It's like the opposite of our football schedule. The good news is we have a potential for a ton of quality wins. The bad news is we will probably rack up quite a few losses. I haven't look at other teams schedules, but hard to imagine that anyone is tougher than Iowa's schedule. We could be the second best team in the conference but finish in sixth place because of our schedule.

Our schedule is just brutal this year. We get Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and NW twice. It seems like Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland are the best teams in the conference (along with Iowa) and we have to play 4 out of those 5 teams twice. It's like the opposite of our football schedule. The good news is we have a potential for a ton of quality wins. The bad news is we will probably rack up quite a few losses. I haven't look at other teams schedules, but hard to imagine that anyone is tougher than Iowa's schedule. We could be the second best team in the conference but finish in sixth place because of our schedule.

Check out Wisconsin's schedule. I cannot imagine a more brutal schedule could have been conceived even on purpose.

Twice: Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland, Illinois.

Last edited:
Good. Tough teams play a hard schedule and see they have what it takes. Then come tourney time, we will be ready.

Insert Michigan and you could say the same thing. They were kind of garbage last year, yet they're ranked with the same bunch of guys now and getting schooled again non conference at home.

Mich does look like another average team. Maryland is jekyl and hyde. MSU, PUR, , MD, IN, and IA should be in the upper division. Xavier looks like a Big East version of MSU.

Check out Wisconsin's schedule. I cannot imagine a more brutal schedule could have been conceived even on purpose.

Twice: Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland, Illinois.
I can think of a more difficult schedule just off the top of my head: throw in Iowa twice ;)

I agree that it will be a tough year for Bo; but Hayes is a real stud. Koenig, not so much; way overated

Hayes is really good. Koenig made a of big shots last year. It is more difficult to get the same shots when you don't have two NBA player's drawing attention. .

Wisconsin fans were pretty confident they'd not see a drop off, so it will be nice to see them drop off a lot. Bottom of B1G doesn't look that great, but the top 6 places looks to be really competitive.

Maryland is very overrated. Gottlieb said People have told him "you can pubk Maryland" and questions if everyone on their team will accept their role. Stone played well tonight cause rider but looked bad vs Georgetown. Indiana has looked good. Best backcourt in conference and best freshman in conference in Thomas Bryant.

Maryland is very overrated. Gottlieb said People have told him "you can pubk Maryland" and questions if everyone on their team will accept their role. Stone played well tonight cause rider but looked bad vs Georgetown. Indiana has looked good. Best backcourt in conference and best freshman in conference in Thomas Bryant.

I keep saying this and will continue with every team, IU needs to play a true tough road game away from Assembly Hall and notch a W and then I'll take note. Until then, meh....like a win at Duke on 12/2 in the ACC challenge like our win at North Carolina last year. I think Mike and Sapp and Peter will match up very well with Yogi and the Blackman like they did last year and in Assembly Hall and Bryant will have trouble with our Bigs much like Ellenson had trouble last night.

Watched the Big Blue game and another rated team ahead of the Hawks, not impressed....my lord a 16 point loss at home. Wait until they leave their friendly confines...??

I keep saying this and will continue with every team, IU needs to play a true tough road game away from Assembly Hall and notch a W and then I'll take note. Until then, meh....like a win at Duke on 12/2 in the ACC challenge like our win at North Carolina last year. I think Mike and Sapp and Peter will match up very well with Yogi and the Blackman like they did last year and in Assembly Hall and Bryant will have trouble with our Bigs much like Ellenson had trouble last night.

Watched the Big Blue game and another rated team ahead of the Hawks, not impressed....my lord a 16 point loss at home. Wait until they leave their friendly confines...??
Fair points. Yogi is the only player returning this year that was named first team all big ten by the coaches. Thomas Bryant isn't Cody zeller but he's better than vonleh. Stone and swanigan aren't close to as good as Bryant but our bigs could give him trouble.

Iowa looks as good as anybody in the league so far.(Except for Augustana).

damn, when did Augustana join the Big Ten in basketball?!?! I really gotta start paying more attention, too wrapped up in 11-0 I guess!

Last edited:
Hayes is really good. Koenig made a of big shots last year. It is more difficult to get the same shots when you don't have two NBA player's drawing attention. .

Wisconsin fans were pretty confident they'd not see a drop off, so it will be nice to see them drop off a lot. Bottom of B1G doesn't look that great, but the top 6 places looks to be really competitive.
What Wisco fans were telling you that? A drop off was inevitable Finishing in the top 4 of the B1G is still possible. It is a work in progress at this point, but always been during Bo's tenure..

ADVERTISEMENT