ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Hoops next season..where does Iowa fit in?

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
With Wisconsin playing for the national title tonight, it got me thinking a lot about the Big Ten next year. It's going to be a stronger league than this season and I think on paper in April, there are at least 8 NCAA teams in the Big Ten.

Maryland will be the top team and I think they will be a popular final four pick now that they a verbal commitment from Diamond Stone. They have Layman and Trimble back. They get Robert Carter into the mix after his transfer from Georgia Tech, where he was almost a double-double forward. They lose Dez Wells, but they are deep and their starting lineup is really good.

Provided Troy Williams and Yogi Ferrell return, which I think they will/should, Indiana is going to be right there after the recent commitment from four star big man Thomas Bryant. That was the one missing piece for the Hoosiers, a legit big man. They have basically everyone back. I think Yogi is coming back. Just not completely certain on Williams.

Michigan State will be in the top tier. They lose Trice and Dawson and they will miss them, but they return Valentine, Forbes, Costello, and Narin. They also add in transfer Eron Harris, who sat out this past season after a transfer from W. Virginia where he averaged over 15 a game. Plus they add in five star forward Deyonta Davis and four star shooting guard Matt McQuaid. They also return role guys that showed promise in Clark and Schilling.

Next tier, which I would include Iowa, are teams like Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan, and Ohio State.

Badgers will lose Fran the Tank, Gasser, and Jackson. Dekker is likely gone after his play the last two weeks in the NCAA Tournament. He's a lottery pick now. They do return Koenig and Hayes, so they have those two to build around. Showalter will be a key player and they are going to lean on redshirt freshman Ethan Happ next year. On paper it looks like they will be down, but I'll never count out Bo Ryan.

Purdue's fate could depend on Hammons and his NBA decision. Coin flip right now. But, they still have Haas in the middle and they are still in the mix for five star big man Caleb Swanigan, who is still undecided and MSU is also a possible destination. They return everyone else other than Jon Octeus. They will have to count on PJ Thompson to run the point. Purdue could be very good.

Michigan will be back to the upper part of the Big Ten next season. Caris LeVert is getting mentioned with the NBA, but I've heard he will be back. They also return Derrick Walton and Zak Irvin. Aubrey Dawkins really developed and Ricky Doyle will be good up front. Spike Albrecht is back for his 8th year at Michigan.:) They are in the mix for a grad transfer in Shonn Miller, who would help them up front.

Ohio State will be young, but loaded with potential. Russell is going to leave and they lose a couple of seniors, but they return Loving, Tate, Kam Williams, and Bates-Diop. The big thing is they have a great recruiting class with Daniel Giddens, Austin Grandstaff, five star guard JaQuan Lyle, and A.J. Harris at point. If those young guys gel quick, they can be very good.

Illinois is probably 9th on the list now because they have significant questions up front. Still have great scorers in Hill and Nunn.

Minnesota will need to find some size that can help them with Walker and Ellison gone. But, they have Mason at the point, Morris as a scorer. They will need some young guys to really develop quickly.

Penn State has to find someone to replace Newbill. Garner and Thorpe are good guys to build around and Dickerson gives them a rim protector. Jack and Taylor are good scorers too. They have a chance to be right there and will be tough to beat.

Nebraska, I think, stays down a bit next year. Part of it will depend on what happens with Petteway does. If he goes to the NBA then they have a need for a scorer. Shields is back and will be good. Freshman Morrow and Watson are going to play right away.

Will next year be the year that Northwestern finally makes the NCAA Tournament? Maybe. They played pretty well the second half of the Big Ten and they have a nice young group to build around. Olah is back for his 8th year in Evanston.:) Demps and McIntosh are good streaky scorers who will only get better.

Rutgers will be bad next season.

From the Iowa perspective, I think the Hawkeyes are somewhere in the 4 to 8 range. Remember, Iowa returns four starters, but much will depend on the development of the incoming players from a depth perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News