ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten, Iowa, Nebraska and College Football ....

cidsports

HB King
It has been nearly 50 years for me. Plenty of memories of Thanksgiving and gratitude.
Back in 1970, my first memories of College Football had little to do with Iowa.
TV was limited, as many of you may know.

Ohio State was the preseason #1 entering 1970. Didn't take time to talk football this morning with my Ohio born mom. Her mom was born and raised in Iowa City I will proudly point out. My grandparents were married, and her oldest sister was born in the home of Iowa Football.

College Football has certainly changed over the past 50 years. From Mythical National Champions to the BCS to the College Football Playoff today. Despite the pandemic in 2020, the social and political divide, we do have a lot to be grateful and thankful for this year.

My really beginning as a Hawkeye fan, as many may recall, was the 1974 season.

No Ohio State vs. Michigan this year on Thanksgiving weekend, but we do get thankfully, Iowa vs. Nebraska on Black Friday.

I am grateful to see Nebraska a Big Ten program over the past 10 seasons. Yes, I shared it, since the days of UNL-OU and then Nebraska - Colorado are still vivid, with family and friends back in Nebraska, my second state, where I recall my Nebraska grandfather and the men in our family, around one or more TVs during the holidays watching the game I grew up loving. Yes, grateful and thankful. Wishing you and yours a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.