ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten MBB Preseason Media Poll

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004
Link: https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/...pected-to-win-big-ten-title-according-to-poll

Like football, the Columbus Dispatch polls two beat writers from each of the league's 14 schools to come up with a preseason basketball poll. The results are below:

2019-20 Big Ten MBB Preseason Media Poll
1. Michigan State (27) - 391 pts
2. Maryland (1) - 349
3. Ohio State - 336
4. Purdue - 311
5. Michigan - 255
6. Wisconsin - 241
7. Illinois - 239
8. Iowa - 174
9. Penn State - 164
10. Indiana - 155
11. Minnesota - 127
12. Rutgers - 95
13. Nebraska - 69
14. Northwestern - 34

Preseason Player of the Year
Cassius Winston, Michigan State - 27
Jalen Smith, Maryland - 1

Preseason All-Conference
Cassius Winston, Michigan State (28)
Lamar Stevens, Penn State (26)
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois (18)
Anthony Cowan, Maryland (16)
Kaleb Wesson, Ohio State (14)
------------------------------------------
Zavier Simpson, Michigan (13)
Jalen Smith, Maryland (12)
Joe Weiskamp, Iowa (5)
Nojel Eastern, Purdue (2)
Xavier Tillman, Michigan State (2)
Giorgi Bezhanishvili, Illinois (1)
Matt Haarms, Purdue (1)
Geo Baker, Rutgers (1)
Aaron Henry, Michigan State (1)

Freshman of the Year
D.J. Carton, Ohio State (15)
EJ. Liddell, Ohio State (4)
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (3)
Franz Wagner, Michigan (3)
Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (1)
Jerome Hunter, Indiana (1)
Rocket Watts, Michigan State (1)

Link: Breakdown of votes by voter

Rutgers crushed us at CHA late last year after we beat them on JoeW miracle shot at the buzzer in NJ .
They lost no one,really,while we lost three starters.
Not sure about us staying 3 slots ahead of them.
Mystery team right now.

Rutgers crushed us at CHA late last year after we beat them on JoeW miracle shot at the buzzer in NJ .
They lost no one,really,while we lost three starters.
Not sure about us staying 3 slots ahead of them.
Mystery team right now.

They lost their leading scorer and rebounder to Oregon as a transfer.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal...gene-omoruyi-announces-transfer-decision.html

They had a big guy that came off the bench, played every game, that was a senior last season.

Reactions: skydog0784
They lost their leading scorer and rebounder to Oregon as a transfer.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal...gene-omoruyi-announces-transfer-decision.html

They had a big guy that came off the bench, played every game, that was a senior last season.

Shaq Doorson. A 7 footer and 275 lbs. Rutgers could be solid but Omuruyi will be tough to replace.

I'm not sold on the Illinois love. They lost to a European team ISU blew out this summer. They could not guard the 3 either time they played us.

Garza is getting no love here. Averaged 13 pts as a true sophomore. Probably would have been higher if he didn't get injured. Looked great in the NCAA tournament. He will absolutely be on the 2nd or 3rd all conference team.

Shaq Doorson. A 7 footer and 275 lbs. Rutgers could be solid but Omuruyi will be tough to replace.

I'm not sold on the Illinois love. They lost to a European team ISU blew out this summer. They could not guard the 3 either time they played us.

Garza is getting no love here. Averaged 13 pts as a true sophomore. Probably would have been higher if he didn't get injured. Looked great in the NCAA tournament. He will absolutely be on the 2nd or 3rd all conference team.

They were only voting on 1st team all conference in this poll and listed anybody that received at least one vote for first team.

The guys not on 1st team werent listed on 2nd or 3rd teams with Garza being snubbed. He just didnt get any votes for 1st team preseason all conference.

I don’t think you can put much stock, if any, in a single euro game. Especially when two of Illinois’ feature players didn’t even make the trip.

Illinois should be significantly improved. If they’re not, they’ll be looking for yet another new coach.

Last edited:
I don’t think you can put much stock, if any, in a single euro game. Especially when two of Illinois’ feature players didn’t even make the trip.

Illinois should be significantly improved. If they’re not, they’ll be looking for yet another new coach.

One was Cockburn but the other was a very marginal player. I don't see Illinois in the top 10. Their defense was horrendous.

One was Cockburn but the other was a very marginal player. I don't see Illinois in the top 10. Their defense was horrendous.

Felize. “Very marginal”. No.

22 min/game
8.3 ppg
45% FG
76% FT
3 APG

As a junior...

A significant contributor to a backcourt already loaded with Frazier and Ayo Dosunmu. Also their most experienced, strongest and most physical guard. Would have helped lots against the “grown men” in Europe.

Their defense was indeed “horrendous” but was very young and lacked front court depth which they have remedied with Cockburn. What leads you to believe that their defense won’t improve?

Last edited:
Felize. “Very marginal”. No.

22 min/game
8.3 ppg
45% FG
76% FT
3 APG

As a junior...

A significant contributor to a backcourt already loaded with Frazier and Ayo Dosunmu. Also their most experienced, strongest and most physical guard. Would have helped lots against the “grown men” in Europe.

That loaded backcourt was eaten alive this year by Iowa and ISU both.

Feliz scored a grand total of 6 points in two games against Iowa. They were blown out by 20+ both times. I'll believe they'll be much improved when I see it. They were the worst defensive team we've faced in conference play last year.

I watched them play ISU in Maui. The second half looked like a high school vs a college team. Totally mismatched. Horton-Tucker destroyed Ayo.

That loaded backcourt was eaten alive this year by Iowa and ISU both.

Feliz scored a grand total of 6 points in two games against Iowa. They were blown out by 20+ both times. I'll believe they'll be much improved when I see it. They were the worst defensive team we've faced in conference play last year.

I didn’t realize only stats against Iowa and Iowa state counted.

Meh.. ISU beat them at the beginning of the year. Iowa was a really bad matchup because of front court depth.

They had a few good wins including MSU with a brutal schedule. They’ll all be older with a much easier schedule. They should improve significantly.

If they don’t, Underwood won’t be there long.

Last edited:
An Illinois beat reporter who was on @TomKakert Hawkeye Report podcast a few weeks ago thought Illinois would finish top 3 or 4 in the league but I have my doubts. Rutgers was salty and young last year I didn’t realize they lost their top scorer to transfer. They were definitely a team that had a huge ceiling last year.

I think Hoosier fans have to be losing their damn minds based on this polling. What are they if they cannot even say they’re a basketball school anymore?

Is Maryland really that good to be slotted in at #2?

Reactions: mick82
An Illinois beat reporter who was on @TomKakert Hawkeye Report podcast a few weeks ago thought Illinois would finish top 3 or 4 in the league but I have my doubts. Rutgers was salty and young last year I didn’t realize they lost their top scorer to transfer. They were definitely a team that had a huge ceiling last year.

I think Hoosier fans have to be losing their damn minds based on this polling. What are they if they cannot even say they’re a basketball school anymore?

Is Maryland really that good to be slotted in at #2?

No way Illinois finishes that high but they don’t have to to improve significantly. A seventh place finish would be a huge jump for them.

I didn’t realize only stays against Iowa and Iowa state counted.

Meh.. ISU beat them at the beginning of the year. Iowa was a really bad matchup because of front court depth.

They had a few good wins including MSU with a brutal schedule. They’ll all be older with a much easier schedule. They should improve significantly.

Meanwhile you're holding out some 8 ppg scorer on a bad team as a vital piece.

Cordell Pemsl averaged that on a bad Iowa team as a freshman and he'll be our 4th post option this season.

Feliz is Maishe Dailey.

Meanwhile you're holding out some 8 ppg scorer on a bad team as a vital piece.

Cordell Pemsl averaged that on a bad Iowa team as a freshman and he'll be our 4th post option this season.

Feliz is Maishe Dailey.

I’m not holding him out as anything other than a will-be senior leader that a still quite young team no doubt missed in Europe.

If you recall, you wrote off Illinois because they lost to a euro team that ISU blew out.

Friendly suggestion: the college basketball world is a little bigger than Iowa and ISU. You should check some of it out some time. It might keep you from saying embarrassing things.

Last edited:
Not true. Andres Feliz is one of Illinois’ best players. First team jc all American. Had games last year in the BT as high as 29 points.

Illinois needs to improve on defense, no doubt. The gambling all out pressure produces turnovers but gives up too many easy looks. Also had no rim protector so if the pressure was beaten, easy baskets ensued. Talk is that Underwood may back the defense back some with playing two bigs. Maybe even more zone.

Kofi in the middle should help. 7-0, 285. Giorgi slides to the four. Ayo was just listed as a lottery pick. Needs to play up to that. Trent Frazier is a nice player. Feliz is tough. Need a couple of sophomore jumps from Jones and Griffin.

Part of the defensive problems also had to do with Illinois being the youngest team in the league. Three leading scorers were two freshmen and a sophomore.

One more thing, while Illinois was 14th in scoring defense. Iowa was 13th. Illinois was 14th in field goal percentage defense. Iowa was 13th. Iowa didn’t have extreme youth as an excuse, either.

Illinois was horrible defending the three against Iowa. However, they were middle of the pack (8th) overall in the league.

Will be an interesting year.

Last edited:
I’m not holding him out as anything other than a will-be senior leader that a still quite young team no doubt missed in Europe.

If you recall, you wrote off Illinois because they lost to a team that ISU blew out.

Friendly suggestion: the college basketball world is a little bigger than Iowa and ISU. You should check some of it out some time. It might keep you from saying embarrassing things.

If you want to believe that Kenpom's 2018-19 #84 ranked team will suddenly be top 8 in the conference then suit yourself. I'll believe it when I see it. I saw a poorly coached team last year with limited depth, few scoring options and no team defense.

Complain all you want about anecdotal evidence, it's better than no evidence at all, which is the entire foundation of your argument.

But, but they beat MSU. Yeah and then proceeded to go 4-6 in following games with 2 of the wins coming against a depleted Northwestern and an OT win vs Rutgers.

But they have their backcourt returning. Waaaa! Yeah the same backcourt that was destroyed most of the 12 win season.

Last edited:
Not true. Andres Feliz is one of Illinois’ best players. First team jc all American. Had games last year in the BT as high as 29 points.

Illinois needs to improve on defense, no doubt. The gambling all out pressure produces turnovers but gives up too many easy looks. Also had no rim protector so if the pressure was beaten, easy baskets ensued. Talk is that Underwood may back the defense back some with playing two bigs. Maybe even more zone.

Kofi in the middle should help. 7-0, 285. Giorgi slides to the four. Ayo was just listed as a lottery pick. Needs to play up to that. Trent Frazier is a nice player. Feliz is tough. Need a couple of sophomore jumps from Jones and Griffin.

Part of the defensive problems also had to do with Illinois being the youngest team in the league. Three leading scorers were two freshmen and a sophomore.

One more thing, while Illinois was 14th in scoring defense. Iowa was 13th. Illinois was 14th in field goal percentage defense. Iowa was 13th. Iowa didn’t have extreme youth as an excuse, either.

Illinois was horrible defending the three against Iowa. However, they were middle of the pack (8th) overall in the league.

I agree. It will be.

Every fan base is provincial and knows their own team best but here it seems extreme. Scoffing at a Frazier Dosunmu backcourt is just silly ignorance.

Most prognosticators are picking Illinois as the most improved team in the league and it makes perfect sense when you realize how young they were last year, what they’re returning, who they’ve added, and the less taxing schedule.

I think Tev Jones is going to be gooood. Still trying to figure out how you guys pulled that one off. Griffin is a baller too.

Still not sold on your coach. Your defense doesn’t work in this league (opposing guards are too skilled and well coached) and he seems to be the only one who hasn’t figured it out yet.

Anyway .... I don’t wish you luck because I hate Illinois but I do think you’ll be better.

Last edited:

There are issues when the plan is to change the defense from a pressing system to a packline-ish defense.

1) The hectic style fed into the offense with turnovers. Illinois will likely take a step back offensively if they’re not able to run and gun.

2) Illinois returns a lot and now all those players used to one system will have to adjust. It is going to take time for them to get all of their bad habits out of the way. You also have a coach that is going away from their preferred style. Is Underwood comfortable teaching a conservative system? Can he teach away bad habits that are kind of his fault?

3) Part of what made Illinois tough to play last year was their uniqueness on defense. It was overall inefficient but could confuse someone in a one off game. They’re now trading in that uniqueness to be just like everybody else.

Watched some of BTN coverage today.
Fran and Joe and Luka were upbeat per norm.
Same as every coach they talked to.
Everybody is scary in Oct.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
I didn’t realize only stays against Iowa and Iowa state counted.

Iowa > Illinois

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
If you want to believe that Kenpom's 2018-19 #84 ranked team will suddenly be top 8 in the conference then suit yourself. I'll believe it when I see it. I saw a poorly coached team last year with limited depth, few scoring options and no team defense.

Complain all you want about anecdotal evidence, it's better than no evidence at all, which is the entire foundation of your argument.

But, but they beat MSU. Yeah and then proceeded to go 4-6 in following games with 2 of the wins coming against a depleted Northwestern and an OT win vs Rutgers.

But they have their backcourt returning. Waaaa! Yeah the same backcourt that was destroyed most of the 12 win season.
It is obviously not rocket science as there is a ton of guesswork and extrapolation involved, but here is a site to give you some evidence as to why some may feel Illinois will be improved. I do not really share that belief as I think Underwood is highly overrated, but you can take a look and see what a computer model feels about the potentials here:
http://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=B10&state=All&year=2020&sort=

Iowa went from 88th to 6th in the conference.

Fran is the only coach in college basketball who could pull something like that off.

Except for Eustachy at Iowa State: 1998-99: 15-15
1999-00: 32-5 (NCAA Elite Eight)

Those are the only two college programs in the nation that matter, and freshmen only grow stronger and more experienced in the state of Iowa, so the examples of significant season to season improvements end there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT