ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Officiating

PeoriaHawk

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2021
The Big10 has had the wurst officiating in mens Bball and Fball for decades. We simply take it! Today, while watching the womens Bball team Play Nebraska, It was obvious the women’s officiating has caught up with the mens. I lost count at 5 times the Hawks were on the wrong side of an extremely inept group of officials.
”Caitlyn Clark Doesn’t Run Out Of Bounds On Her Own!”
Sorry, some times I get emotional when thinking about All the times officiating screwed Iowa.

The Big10 has had the wurst officiating in mens Bball and Fball for decades. We simply take it! Today, while watching the womens Bball team Play Nebraska, It was obvious the women’s officiating has caught up with the mens. I lost count at 5 times the Hawks were on the wrong side of an extremely inept group of officials.
Sorry, some times I get emotional when thinking about All the times officiating screwed Iowa.
Do you think after decades of the same thing happening every year it might not just be incompetence, and maybe Iowa isn't the only victim?

Do you think after decades of the same thing happening every year it might not just be incompetence, and maybe Iowa isn't the only victim?
I only know Iowa has seldom, if ever, won a Fball game because of the officiating. Period!
Im sure BBall has won a few but the point here is:
Catlyn Clark doesn’t run out of bounds on her own.
2 time 1st team All-American, best player in the country by far, human high-lite real. On top of that she was on her home court.
The official was in the perfect spot but she decided to gag on her whistle. Incompetence? You bet!

Reactions: perryhawk
So the refs are terrible and so is Brian F. Which one would you like to see gone? Sorry:p

I only know Iowa has seldom, if ever, won a Fball game because of the officiating. Period!
2 time 1st team All-American, best player in the country by far, human high-lite real. On top of that she was on her home court.
The official was in the perfect spot but she decided to gag on her whistle. Incompetence? You bet!
I saw Caitlyn get shoved.

Reactions: hagarwood
And everything you listed doesn't mean she couldn't run out of bounds on her own. By the way, she isn't the best player in the country. She's not even the fiftieth best college basketball player in the country. She may be the best female but she's not the best.

• Haha
Reactions: herkhatescy
And everything you listed doesn't mean she couldn't run out of bounds on her own. By the way, she isn't the best player in the country. She's not even the fiftieth best college basketball player in the country. She may be the best female but she's not the best.
Dealing in technicalities now?

Reactions: littlez
I agree. The officiating yesterday was atrocious. Many times the calls made should have been exactly the opposite. They were bad on Nebraska as well, but more bad calls made on Iowa. I can only hope that the officials review the film to understand how bad their performance was. it was perplexing to say the least. Not sure whether or not it had a major impact on the game -- but hard to figure out how to play when the officials appear to blow the whistle, take control of the game and players cannot understand the violation.

You could Substitute nearly every team in the country from pee wee to professional for that last word. All fan bases think they get screwed by officials.

Since the subject seems to be of interest to you here is an article to read when you have some spare time. Conspiracy Theories

So the refs are terrible and so is Brian F. Which one would you like to see gone? Sorry:p
Can you give it rest on topics that have absolutely nothing to do with Brian Ferentz? Seriously, there are always new threads every day on the football board where the Ferentz obsessed can spew their hate and ridicule. It's getting really ****ing old.

You’re responding to your own post?
I understood your meaning. Can you imagine how utterly obsessed are these Ferentz bitter enders. Dozens of posts from the same group, new threads every day, usually from the same group. It really gets so tiresome. You cannot even avoid them because its on every topic on the football board.

Reactions: perryhawk and WSC72
I will never understand why Courtney Green still is officiating Big Ten games after last years call a foul on Iowa with under a second to go in a tie game that snuffed out a sure OT. This was especially terrible in that they were not calling fouls like the supposed foul he called near the end of the game. Last Thursday at MSU, I was at the game and a rabid MSU fan behind me constantly berated Courtney every and I mean every time a shot was contested at both ends of the court. I agree with his sentiments on Courtney but I guess he is an equally opportunity lousy official, no matter what team you are supporting.

I will never understand why Courtney Green still is officiating Big Ten games after last years call a foul on Iowa with under a second to go in a tie game that snuffed out a sure OT. This was especially terrible in that they were not calling fouls like the supposed foul he called near the end of the game. Last Thursday at MSU, I was at the game and a rabid MSU fan behind me constantly berated Courtney every and I mean every time a shot was contested at both ends of the court. I agree with his sentiments on Courtney but I guess he is an equally opportunity lousy official, no matter what team you are supporting.
Oh ya. "Little" Larry should never call this big mans game. I am quite sure he has a Napoleon complex issue.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
How did Ted Valentine manage to be an official for so long? And Bo Boroski?

It is puzzling how some of these guys are/were allowed to officiate games.

Reactions: perryhawk
Was it a foul on Stokes? We know they called it on Boyle, but he certainly did not foul.
Some say Stokes fouled, but it did not appear to me that he did.

Just as bad was the non-call a few seconds earlier when Kenny Arnold was hammered to the floor going in for a layup. Should have been 2 free throws. Arnold makes those and the Hawks likely win.

Reactions: WSC72 and perryhawk
Oh ya. "Little" Larry should never call this big mans game. I am quite sure he has a Napoleon complex issue.
I don't care how big or small the man is as long as he's accurate and fair and there's far too little of that in B1G officiating these days.

Officiated in the NCAA as a whole is bad. Of the P5, the B1G might have the worst, but it's still better than mid and low majors.

I liken it to comparing refs at a 4A game at Valley or Waukee vs refs at a 1A game at N Tama or N Mahaska. At least the HS refs are trying hard for little money, so I give them a break.

Some say Stokes fouled, but it did not appear to me that he did.

Just as bad was the non-call a few seconds earlier when Kenny Arnold was hammered to the floor going in for a layup. Should have been 2 free throws. Arnold makes those and the Hawks likely win.

What game was it Marble shot a couple of pretty big free throws after someone else was fouled, but they put him on the line

Because, in the course of a season, Courtney Greene consistently produces results that promote the Big Ten business model. How long do you think the Big Ten would last if someone invested the money and enormous amount of time to chase it down a civil RICO rathole? The trial would take 3 months but the Big Ten would come off looking terrible and probably have to pay a ton of money to shut up the plaintiffs, if people with standing could be found.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Men’s refs seem better these days. No grandstanding like Ed Hightower.
Ed was a grandstander, and a real homer, but he wasn't obviously dishonest, just affected by the crowd. The officiating did get better in the first decade of the Century but it is headed downhill and is now almost as bad as the 70s-90s.

I do find it funny that all of the people bitching about the quality of officiating have nobody to blame but themselves.

It starts at 1st grade officiating all the way through the NBA.

I guarantee these same people are the ones yelling at officials during grade school games, Jr high, high school, college, & NBA games.

Officiating would be immensely better at all levels if parents would just shut their mouths.

Then refs wouldn’t be quitting right & left & would grow & get better at all levels.

The answer is to yell at your fellow fans/parents when they get on the officials. Call them out. Shame them into not acting a fool & yelling at the jr high refs every game.

I do.

Reactions: WSC72 and littlez
I think the only way Big Ten refs are really that worse than any other conference is how they officiate dominant men like Kofi, Garza, Edey, etc.. They don't know how to account for their overwhelming size and/or just pure skill (especially with Garza), so they let smaller defenders hack them on most plays ... however, then they try to compensate for that by letting Kofi/Edey/Garza/etc. use their bodies in a way that should really be called a foul, as well, by slamming their hip into defenders (Kofi) or using their elbows in a way that should be a foul (Garza and Edey). At that point, it turns into a chicken-and-the-egg argument of who is fouling whom, lol. From my anecdotal experience, we then get crews in the NCAA Tournament that call a way softer game, and it throws us off.

Part of that is just that the Big Ten has had a disproportionate number of traditional big men vs. more "positionless" guards/forwards the last few years, until this year (sans Edey). This is why I am actually kind of skeptical that the Big Ten is so "down," as our conference's style of play has seemingly shifted toward the type that is more successful in March Madness - fast and athletic guards. We'll see this year, I guess!

ADVERTISEMENT