Big Ten Players of the Week (11/19)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004
MEN

Player of the Week
Ethan Happ, Wisconsin
F – Sr. – 6-10 – Milan, Ill. – Rockridge
  • Averaged 22.5 points, 12.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game while shooting 68.8 percent from the floor in a pair of Badger wins
  • Poured in 30 points, shooting 15-of-23 from the floor, and grabbing 13 rebounds in Wisconsin’s 77-68 victory at Xavier in the Gavitt Tipoff Games
  • Posted his third double-double in as many games to open the 2018-19 season with 15 points and 12 rebounds against Houston Baptist, shooing 7-of-9 from the field
  • Became Wisconsin’s all-time leading rebounder in the Badgers’ 96-59 victory over Houston Baptist
  • Has 34 career double-doubles, third-most in Wisconsin history
  • With season averages of 18.3 ppg, 12.0 rpg and 7.7 apg is only player in the nation averaging at least 18 points, 10 rebounds and six assists per game
  • Earns his fourth career Big Ten Player of the Week honor and second in as many weeks
  • Last Wisconsin Player of the Week: Ethan Happ (Nov. 12, 2018)
Freshmen of the Week
Romeo Langford, Indiana
G – 6-6 – New Albany, Ind. – New Albany
  • Averaged 22.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.5 blocks in two games for the Hoosiers last week
  • Led Indiana with 22 points, five rebounds, three steals, two assists and two blocks in 96-73 win over No. 24 Marquette in the Gavitt Tipoff Games
  • Posted first career double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds to go along with five assists in one-point loss at Arkansas in the Hardwood Showcase
  • Earns his first Freshman of the Week honor
  • Last Indiana Freshman of the Week: Curtis Jones Jr. (Nov. 14, 2016)

WOMEN

Player of the Week
Megan Gustafson, Iowa
F/C – Sr. – Port Wing, Wis. – South Shore
• Averaged 24.5 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game with an .846 field goal percentage and two double-doubles for No. 13/17 Iowa in two wins last week
• Set a Big Ten and Iowa record by going 13-for-13 from the field on Nov. 13 at Western Kentucky, finishing with 29 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks in 25 minutes
• Added 20 points (9-13 FG), 10 rebounds and two blocks in 24 minutes on Nov. 17 against North Carolina Central
• Recognized as an Academic All-Big Ten selection in 2017-18
• Earns her 12th career Player of the Week award and second of the season
• Last Iowa Player of the Week: Megan Gustafson (Nov. 12, 2018)

Freshman of the Week
Shakira Austin, Maryland
F – Fredricksburg, Va. – Riverdale Baptist
• Came off the bench to average 9.0 points, 14.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per game last week, helping No. 9/10 Maryland to road victories at George Washington and No. 10/11 South Carolina
• Played a key role in the Terrapins’ win at top-10 foe South Carolina on Sunday with a double-double, registering 10 points (5-8 FG) and a game-high 16 rebounds, including nine at the offensive end
• Contributed eight points, a game-high 12 rebounds and five blocks in Nov. 14 victory at GW
• Earns her second career Freshman of the Week honor
• Last Maryland Freshman of the Week: Shakira Austin (Nov. 12, 2018)

Reactions: unoHawkeye
lets wait to see how the Wisconsin game goes. again it will be interesting to see Garza matched up against Happ. getting a dbl dbl vs Iowa will not be that easy.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I hate giving praise to any Badger...but Happ is a stud and a handful.

Gonna need Garza, Kriener, and Cook keeping him off the glass and out the paint.

Is he still a terrible FT shooter? We probably need all 15 fouls too from our bigs. Well...10 maybe. No need for foul trouble.

Edit: yes, he’s still awful at the line (45%) on just 11 attempts this year.

I hate giving praise to any Badger...but Happ is a stud and a handful.

Gonna need Garza, Kriener, and Cook keeping him off the glass and out the paint.

Is he still a terrible FT shooter? We probably need all 15 fouls too from our bigs. Well...10 maybe. No need for foul trouble.

Small sample size, but he's currently 5-11 at the FT line (45.5%).

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Happ is an interesting player, he's near the top in scoring and rebounding each year. He has one B10 Steals per game title (and twice led it in total steals) and this year is leading in Assists per game (which shows that Wisconsin's shooters are definitely back this year which makes them very scary). And a block a game, even though it's not near league best average. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that filled up the stat sheet in every category quite like he has, and the Hawks were right there in recruiting him until the end. Guys like Cook can have a three block game or a six assist game like he has already this year, but not average it consistently.

Happ is an interesting player, he's near the top in scoring and rebounding each year. He has one B10 Steals per game title (and twice led it in total steals) and this year is leading in Assists per game (which shows that Wisconsin's shooters are definitely back this year which makes them very scary). And a block a game, even though it's not near league best average. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that filled up the stat sheet in every category quite like he has, and the Hawks were right there in recruiting him until the end. Guys like Cook can have a three block game or a six assist game like he has already this year, but not average it consistently.
He is from a small town near the Ill. quad cities. Redshirted too didn't he?. I have a feeling many on here would not have been excited if we had got him. Just they way they are.

I’m sorry but wins over #13 Oregon and UConn in their backyard, after they just beat #15 Syracuse trump Wisconsin beating a marginal Xavier and Houston Baptist team. The award should of gone to Luka and Tyler as co-winners not Hap. Not a fan of his.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT