ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten session 3 discussion

jrod65

HR All-American
Jan 21, 2019
Day 2 is here. Placement time. All 10 Hawks have qualified for NCAAs, now it's time to try and improve upon seeding for Nationals.

Consolation semis and 7th place matches start at 11am Central on Big Ten+.

Drake Ayala vs. Dylan Shawver for 7th
Max Murin vs Mike Van Brill in conso semis
Kaleb Young vs Peyton Robb in conso semis
Abe Assad vs Isaiah Salazar for 7th
Jacob Warner vs Cam Caffey in conso semis

Day 2 is here. Placement time. All 10 Hawks have qualified for NCAAs, now it's time to try and improve upon seeding for Nationals.

Consolation semis and 7th place matches start at 11am Central on Big Ten+.

Drake Ayala vs. Dylan Shawver for 7th
Max Murin vs Mike Van Brill in conso semis
Kaleb Young vs Peyton Robb in conso semis
Abe Assad vs Isaiah Salazar for 7th
Jacob Warner vs Cam Caffey in conso semis
Hopefully, the Hawks improve today. Go Hawks!!!

Precaution. If it's NCAA's he's wrestling. His seed will take a hit but if you're good enough to win it you have to beat everybody at some point anyway. Even with his injury he's good enough to win it, but that's a hell of a mountain to climb.

An even easier decision with the way 174 is shaping up. You got about 6 guys that are all finalist caliber. That means no matter your seed(as long as 1-8), you are going to have a hell of a battle from quarterfinals on.

Precaution. If it's NCAA's he's wrestling. His seed will take a hit but if you're good enough to win it you have to beat everybody at some point anyway. Even with his injury he's good enough to win it, but that's a hell of a mountain to climb.
This is what I’m curious about. Where will he be seeded?

An even easier decision with the way 174 is shaping up. You got about 6 guys that are all finalist caliber. That means no matter your seed(as long as 1-8), you are going to have a hell of a battle from quarterfinals on.
You ain't wrong my man. 🙂

Reactions: jrod65
This is what I’m curious about. Where will he be seeded?
Current top 10 coaches ranking (prior to conf tourneys this weekend)

Kem will definitely be behind Starocci, Massa, and winner of ACC (most likely Hidlay vs Lewis). If Labriola takes 3rd at Big 10’s with his HTH win over Kem he will be seeded higher. I’m thinking 5-7. Would rather have 6 or 7 so he is on the opposite side of Starocci.

1Carter StarocciPenn St.Big Ten
2Logan MassaMichiganBig Ten
3Mikey LabriolaNebraskaBig Ten
4Hayden HidlayNC StateACC
5Michael KemererIowaBig Ten
6Mekhi LewisVirginia TechACC
7Ethan SmithOhio St.Big Ten
8Clay LauttNorth CarolinaACC
9Dustin PlottOklahoma St.Big 12
10Michael O`MalleyDrexelEIWA

Kem will definitely be behind Starocci, Massa, and winner of ACC (most likely Hidlay vs Lewis). If Labriola takes 3rd at Big 10’s with his HTH win over Kem he will be seeded higher. I’m thinking 5-7. Would rather have 6 or 7 so he is on the opposite side of Starocci.

Yeah, l'd say 6 or 7.

Honestly, with his injury situation I'd rather he see Starocci early. Several of these other cats are formidable too, and unfortunately they're not going to get the real Michael Kemerer, but when he's on his game it's "different" if you haven't wrestled him previously, IMO. (not sure off the top of my head how many of those haven't faced him)

I was too busy paying attention to Iowa results to notice, but are any Penn State wrestlers in danger of not qualifying for nationals automatically?

Reactions: meatloaf55
tenor.gif

That #2 would be the PSU 125 :cool:
Thats what I thought. Outside of Iowa guys I havent been able to follow other teams since I'm also following the combine this weekend and wall to wall Kentucky Derby preps yesterday.

Because everyone get a trophy!!! But seriously, I have no idea. Doesn’t make a ton of sense to me.
Just my guess but maybe since the Big Ten auto-qualifies eight, they want to determine who the ninth place guy is in the conference as another data point for a possible wild card depending on how other conference tournaments shake out at the weight.

ADVERTISEMENT