ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten signs $7 billion media rights deal with Fox, CBS, NBC

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Big Ten just signed its biggest media rights deal ever.
The league announced on Thursday and agreement with Fox, CBS and NBC to carry its football and college basketball games. Big Ten Network, partially owned by Fox, will retain its inventory, too. Media reports put the seven-year deal around $7 billion, although the per-team payouts, which could eventually reach $100 million, are likely to be slightly smaller at the beginning of the contract, which starts July 1, 2023.

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren said the deal is about more than money, as the Big Ten will have marquee, over-the-air games at 11 a.m. (Fox), 2:30 p.m. (CBS) and in primetime (NBC). NBC’s streaming service, Peacock, also gets eight football games per year for broadcast.

The three networks will even divvy up future Big Ten football title games. Fox gets the game in 2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029. CBS broadcasts the game in 2024 and 2028. NBC gets it in 2026.

“We are very grateful to our world-class media partners for recognizing the strength of the Big Ten Conference brand and providing the incredible resources we need for our student-athletes to compete at the very highest levels, and to achieve their academic and athletics goals,” Warren said.

The deal leaves behind the Big Ten’s longtime media partner, ABC/ESPN. Many of the league’s biggest games, over the last 25 years, have aired on Disney’s sports division. No longer. CBS and NBC will split what ESPN used to televise.

>>As it completes its obligation to the SEC in 2023, CBS will broadcast seven games that season before televising as many as 15 games starting in 2024. CBS agreed to broadcast an annual Black Friday game, as well; Nebraska and Iowa have been playing on Black Friday since 2011.
>>NBC will televise 14-to-16 “Big Ten Saturday Night” games per year on its broadcast network, plus eight on Peacock. The streaming service will have as many as 47 men’s regular season basketball games and 30 women’s regular season basketball games.

>>Fox and BTN will continue to have the same robust inventory of football and basketball games.

Yeah, the Peacock thing is disappointing….because I’m sure we will be on it and that’s the one streaming service I don’t pay for…we will see if it ends up like the Cubs for me…my fanaticism for Cubs baseball took a big hit with the move to Marquee when I couldn’t get it.

I will probably just have to pay for peacock for a few months a year. Because I’m a lot bigger Iowa fan than Cubs.

Everything else in the deal sounds nice though…

But hey, if the game is on Peacock can we ditch TV timeouts?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yeah, the Peacock thing is disappointing….because I’m sure we will be on it and that’s the one streaming service I don’t pay for…we will see if it ends up like the Cubs for me…my fanaticism for Cubs baseball took a big hit with the move to Marquee when I couldn’t get it.

I will probably just have to pay for peacock for a few months a year. Because I’m a lot bigger Iowa fan than Cubs.

Everything else in the deal sounds nice though…
I agree to an extent but the quality of Peacock will surely put the BTN+ product to shame. And I think when the next deal comes up in the 2030s, there will be some combination of Amazon and Apple involved anyway.

I agree to an extent but the quality of Peacock will surely put the BTN+ product to shame. And I think when the next deal comes up in the 2030s, there will be some combination of Amazon and Apple involved anyway.
Yeah, I agree…like I said…it’s not streaming I dislike…just wish it was Amazon or Apple….which I already subscribe to…

Nearly 2x what SEC will be paid and also renegotiating earlier then the SEC. Tremendous deal.

FadFzSyVQAAOFz4

Last edited:
"NBC’s streaming service, Peacock, also gets eight football games per year for broadcast."

Goddamit, I knew it.

Just watch, Iowa will be 2-3 of those games every damn season. Yes, it's only (I believe) $5/month...but still.

I watch peacock nearly every weekend for soccer. You can’t even tell the difference between that and nbc. Most cable boxes have peacock already added.

How much of this money is earmarked for reducing tuition and expenses at the UI?
Just to put it in perspective, I believe total revenue from tuition, undergrad and graduate, is $460M/year. They are getting $100M to televise the football team if I am reading this correctly.

Just to put it in perspective, I believe total revenue from tuition, undergrad and graduate, is $460M/year. They are getting $100M to televise the football team if I am reading this correctly.

Seems like a good chunk of that should go back to the academic side of the university since that football team doesn't exist without the university, as visible as the football team is

Kids and coaches can’t all play in the big 2.

a lot of money hasn’t really created different national champions.

I like winning, beating my chest over how much money the school makes is about as exciting as bragging about how much money the Dallas Cowboys are worth.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
I hope all the posters that were bashing Kevin Warren mercilessly 2 years ago will be okay with this
Like selling water in the desert to. I doubt it was difficult.

you think Roger Goodell is using Jedi Mind tricks to get his NFL broadcast fees also?

I imagine cable TV costs to subscribers will increase substantially in coming years.

There's always long range ramifications.

Oh well...

Some of you need to become familiar with the following sites for free streaming...

Sportsurge
Buffstream
Bilasport

Reactions: pink shizzle
Some of you need to become familiar with the following sites for free streaming...

Sportsurge
Buffstream
Bilasport
DoFuSports app for iPhone worked great for out of market NFL games last year. Fired it up, cast to TV and wouldn’t know the difference.

that's a lot of $
And does not include what we get from BTN... Per the thread in the lounge, we get 70M-100M for the new agreement (think it is backloaded and not a constant rate), plus the BTN. If that remains at $52M, that is $122 to $152M per year. Not too shabby.

Will be interesting to see if ESPN gives the Big10 the NHL treatment after they lost that TV deal.

Sportsurge
Buffstream
Bilasport
I'm surprised more people haven't said this. I use sportssurge when a game is on and I don't have a particular channel or streaming app.

ADVERTISEMENT