ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Big Ten Teleconference with Austin Blythe

Apr 8, 2003
Rough quotes and notes from Austin Blythe

Q: What was the biggest difference going from 4.1 ypc last year to 4.8 this year?

BLYTHE: Just a mentality and being physical. Coach Brian Ferentz really instilled that in us and we take it to the field every Saturday.

Q: Underdogs again this week. Do you feel like people are counting you out this week?

BLYTHE: It is what it is. We're going to go out and play to the best of our ability and see what happens.

Q: MSU kind of gets overlooked in the East Division playing alongside Michigan and Ohio State. Is there kind of a mutual respect because of that?

BLYTHE: Yeah, there is, but I don't know it's because of that. More because we both play a tough, physical brand of football I think.

Q: What did you guys think when the QB job opened up last year and CJ beat out Jake? Did that take you by surprise?

BLYTHE: It didn't really take us by surprise. We have total faith in the coaches. We knew CJ would do a great job and he's stepped up to the plate obviously. He's the kind of guy that make his teammates want to play 10% harder.

Q: The TD run at Indiana, can you take us through that?

BLYTHE: That's just who CJ is as a competitor. Dealing with the injuries he's had this year and to do that just opened our eyes to that even more.

Q: You talked about Coach Ferentz's emotions after the win on Friday. Can you expand on that a little bit and how this senior class has created that for him this season?

BLYTHE: Coach Ferentz is the kind of coach that wants you to do well on and off the field, so to be able to do that for him is really special.

Q: Does that work both ways after the disappointment of last year?

BLYTHE: Yeah, absolutely. That's not the standard he set around here, so to be able to do this this year with this group of people is really satisfying.

Q: You played in the 2013 game against MSU. What have you seen on tape since then?

BLYTHE: Different guys, but the same mentality. They play hard on every down. They're going to rush the passer and try to stop the run.

Q: As you watched MSU on Saturday, did you see Jack Allen get a carry? Were you jealous?

BLYTHE: I was definitely a little jealous. I told Coach Brian in our first meeting this week that we better install that play. I don't think that will happen. I'll have to share my glory with the running backs.

Q: Biggest challenge on the DL?

BLYTHE: Big, athletic guys. Really good players, really good athletes, and they're going to get after it.

Q: Strength on OL and DL, classic Big Ten game?

BLYTHE: Yeah, I think so. That's what both programs pride themselves on.

Q: You mentioned CJ makes you want to play 10% harder. What is it about him?

BLYTHE: I think it's just the way he carries himself on the field and the way he plays. You'd never guess that he's hurting. He's going to scramble or take a hit and make big throws. That makes you want to play for him and give him the extra effort needed.

Q: His poise, did you know he had that?

BLYTHE: I don't think it was a surprise, but with him not starting much before, it came out more this year. He's going to play lights out for you every game.

Q: It seems like CJ's background, he kind of likes the stage and performing in stadiums. Have you caught yourself at all having to talk him down? Or does he have the right sort of vibe for this?

BLYTHE: He definitely has the right sort of vibe.

Q: He seems to have a connection with everyone on the team. Have you guys ever hung out?

BLYTHE: Yeah, we've hung out a little bit. Nothing too big, but just talking about the season and things like that.

Q: On Saturday night, this is going to be a different experience for you and the Hawkeyes. MSU has played in 3 of these. What do you expect in terms of nerves?

BLYTHE: I don't think anybody associated with this program has played in a true championship game like this. We're just continuing with the one game at a time mindset. Just have to do your job to the best of your ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkFan59
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.