ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Tourney Location Change

JStandefer

HR MVP
Apr 9, 2015
The B1G has released location for the next couple years. There are so many great basketball cities in the B1G footprint. I hope the keep rotating.
BTT Locations

The problem with Minneapolis is that it could be spring or snowing during the tourney.
Could be that in Indianapolis or Chicago, too. More likely to have snow in Minneapolis in March BUT they are way more apt at handling it than either Chicago or Indianapolis.

I am in the camp that would like to see more variety in BTT locations. Not that I'll ever go, mind you. I just like the idea of moving it around. Seems like there are plenty of worthy options within the Big Ten's footprint.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
The Big Ten Tournament should be at a neutral location. While Chicago and Indy favor certain teams over others, they’re the only two locations that can routinely draw large crowds from 5 or more schools.

The Big Ten Tournament should be at a neutral location. While Chicago and Indy favor certain teams over others, they’re the only two locations that can routinely draw large crowds from 5 or more schools.
Probably best to see if that's true by trial. Otherwise the location does favor certain teams. I still think that fans will travel to about anywhere if they really want to watch the games.

Probably best to see if that's true by trial. Otherwise the location does favor certain teams. I still think that fans will travel to about anywhere if they really want to watch the games.
The thing is, we kind of have seen that. Attendance in DC was awful besides Maryland, and NYC wasn’t great. Anyone think Des Moines continues to sell out if Iowa loses on Friday? Or Minneapolis if Minnesota loses early? Detroit if Michigan or MSU lose?

Even in Indy, attendance drops off big time if Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, etc. lose. Chicago is the only place with enough B1G alumni to get several fan bases literally living close by. Only thing that sucks is the UC’s location.

The thing is, we kind of have seen that. Attendance in DC was awful besides Maryland, and NYC wasn’t great. Anyone think Des Moines continues to sell out if Iowa loses on Friday? Or Minneapolis if Minnesota loses early? Detroit if Michigan or MSU lose?

Even in Indy, attendance drops off big time if Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, etc. lose. Chicago is the only place with enough B1G alumni to get several fan bases literally living close by. Only thing that sucks is the UC’s location.
I think that Minneapolis is different than the others mentioned. It's more af a destination place than Des Moines, and it is closer to the traditional B1G states than DC or Maryland. And frankly, I think it deserves a chance to host as much as anywhere west of Indianapolis does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT