ADVERTISEMENT

Big time donors for the Iowa program

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
I think if this shit show keeps up you’re going to see some big time generous donors of Iowa Athletics will drop - and the fact ticket sales will drop next year if not this year I see so many tickets for sale online… This is all about being to stubborn to make a change and that’s not going to change … if Nebraska can afford to let go Frostickles I am sure Iowa has a somewhat of a budget to get someone new on the helm ….

I think our future coach is already in the sidelines with Levar Woods … just my opinion but for gods sake make the change at QB! Make the dans who pay and pave the way for Iowa football!

I think if this shit show keeps up you’re going to see some big time generous donors of Iowa Athletics will drop - and the fact ticket sales will drop next year if not this year I see so many tickets for sale online… This is all about being to stubborn to make a change and that’s not going to change … if Nebraska can afford to let go Frostickles I am sure Iowa has a somewhat of a budget to get someone new on the helm ….

I think our future coach is already in the sidelines with Levar Woods … just my opinion but for gods sake make the change at QB! Make the dans who pay and pave the way for Iowa football!
Do they even attend the games?

I don’t see the love for Woods as HC or even OC at this time. Not yet, anyway.

He’s done a great job to be sure, but not ready for HC.

I think you are way wrong about the donors. They love them Kirk Ferentz. He has an account like he talked about with Spencer. all the past matters and they love Kirk. He rides til he don't want to ride no more.

How many big time generous donors of Iowa Athletics do you know personally, and what would you say is their biggest motivation for the donations they make?
Absolutely no one…. Just saying if Iowa keeps shatting their pants the cries will become louder and louder and they will stop donating- again I don’t sheet about who’s a big donor or not but watching Iowa football the last 40 years this could definitely happen… I hope to GOD it doesn’t and the ship is turned right

I remember when Brian was named OC. A LOT of posters on this board were excited and predicting he would take over for Kirk. The words Patriots and Belichick came up a lot.

Agree totally on Woods. The guy has only worked for one HC ever- that's Ferentz. You can't ever have a HC one day who has lived in a cocoon. If the guy ever wants to be a HC one day here or anywhere, then he needs to go out and expand his horizons.

Reactions: 83Hawk
I remember when Brian was named OC. A LOT of posters on this board were excited and predicting he would take over for Kirk. The words Patriots and Belichick came up a lot.
That was 5 years ago and yes, many were already penciling him as Kirk's heir apparent and I believe without doubt Kirk was setting him up to be that by moving him to OC at age 32.

That experiment has failed miserably. Brian is a good coach-- he's just not meant to be an OC. He's meant to be a position coach.

"I think" 😆 🤣 😂

Considering the media deals I think donating money is pretty stupid.

donations to athletic departments should not be deductible when they are getting hundreds of millions from TV.

at some point donating to tuition relief would be more beneficial.
Donations for seating isn’t deductible anymore. Why would anyone donate to pay somebody else’s debt? Plus we’re all donating to tuition relief already.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Absolutely no one…. Just saying if Iowa keeps shatting their pants the cries will become louder and louder and they will stop donating- again I don’t sheet about who’s a big donor or not but watching Iowa football the last 40 years this could definitely happen… I hope to GOD it doesn’t and the ship is turned right
My point is that you really have no clue if this would happen or not. You're assuming the "big-time donors' are like the average fan you see in the stands and on this board that get extremely passionate over game results. My guess is that if you look back on the past 40 years of Iowa football, there would be essentially no correlation between team performance and donor collections. These donors you're talking about are much more interested in having the ability to host gameday parties in the McCord Indoor Club than they are game results.

You misunderstand 'boosters'. Believe it or not it's not a transactional relationship for the vast, vast majority. They support to support. They will continue to support because they are alumni, or supporters, and have been through good and bad years.

Most are highly successful, sure some inherited their wealth. Most understand the their support doesn't entitle them to get into operations.

The 'major donors' ( a level most of you wouldn't understand) aren't out there waving around millions of dollars they earned working hard, to pay a guy millions not to work, all just to make your Saturdays a bit more enjoyable. CFB isn't the center of their universe..

It is highly unlikely Barta is receiving pressure, or pledged financial support from major supporters to make the moves that might on the surface seem obvious. Barta is probably getting some emails, he undoubtedly has heard from some - because there are reasons to talk to them besides just recent game results.... but people talk about recent games, old games, and future games.

Sorry to burst your bubble of hope that someone is coming to the rescue for you.

Reactions: Ladell-hawk
This and I'm concerned about the growing number of people calling for Woods to be the next head coach.......seemingly out of nowhere.

Actually, the prospect of LeVar being the next head coach has not really come out of nowhere.

Woods has been on two ESPN lists for future head coaching vacancies. On Aug 11 ESPN’s Pete Thamel included Woods among his top assistants as a name to know for the next wave of head coaching jobs.

Thamel wrote this about when the Iowa job comes open:

He has coached on both sides of the ball during his time at Iowa, along with being the special teams coordinator since 2017. Woods would be considered the staff member most likely to replace Kirk Ferentz, as he’s from Iowa, served as a captain there and has been a linchpin since 2008.

And in June, ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg tabbed Woods as one of his 45 minority coaches under the age of 45 to watch as candidates for future Division I head coaching jobs.

In addition, Chad Leistikow of the Register has repeated stated on HawkCentral podcasts that LeVar would make an excellent HC.

And in the Aug 18 article linked at the end of this post, it says that Woods is certainly among the fan favorites to replace Kirk Ferentz after the longtime coach steps away.

And on top of all of this, LeVar bleeds black and gold. He was an Iowa administrative assistant from 2008-11. He then was linebackers coach from 2012-14. From 2015-17, he was Iowa’s tight ends coach. He's been special teams coordinator since 2018.

You misunderstand 'boosters'. Believe it or not it's not a transactional relationship for the vast, vast majority. They support to support. They will continue to support because they are alumni, or supporters, and have been through good and bad years.

Most are highly successful, sure some inherited their wealth. Most understand the their support doesn't entitle them to get into operations.

The 'major donors' ( a level most of you wouldn't understand) aren't out there waving around millions of dollars they earned working hard, to pay a guy millions not to work, all just to make your Saturdays a bit more enjoyable. CFB isn't the center of their universe..

It is highly unlikely Barta is receiving pressure, or pledged financial support from major supporters to make the moves that might on the surface seem obvious. Barta is probably getting some emails, he undoubtedly has heard from some - because there are reasons to talk to them besides just recent game results.... but people talk about recent games, old games, and future games.

Sorry to burst your bubble of hope that someone is coming to the rescue for you.
All good - got your point

I think you are way wrong about the donors. They love them Kirk Ferentz. He has an account like he talked about with Spencer. all the past matters and they love Kirk. He rides til he don't want to ride no more.
As long as they get their winter vacation to a warm weather bowl game, they’re happy. And they almost always get it.

The old line of ‘it’s that way until it’s not that way’ applies a little.
Iowa isn’t like some schools but the recent example at Nebraska shows that it can happen if the proverbial ‘line’ is crossed.

Iowa isn’t like some schools but the recent example at Nebraska shows that it can happen if the proverbial ‘line’ is crossed.
And booster did what- nothing beyond the few that are a personal confidant of the AD and pres

And booster did what- nothing beyond the few that are a personal confidant of the AD and pres
Allegedly a booster paid the difference on Frosts buyout to get it done now rather than waiting. I don’t believe Iowa would operate that way.

Frost sucked since the start. How is that comparable to Kirk and starting a season 1-1 after winning the Big Ten West last season?

Frost sucked since the start. How is that comparable to Kirk and starting a season 1-1 after winning the Big Ten West last season?
“I don’t believe Iowa would operate that way”
Just shared where a booster worried more about results than just supporting.

He’s done a great job to be sure, but not ready for
Agree totally on Woods. The guy has only worked for one HC ever- that's Ferentz. You can't ever have a HC one day who has lived in a cocoon. If the guy ever wants to be a HC one day here or anywhere, then he needs to go out and expand his horizons.
While I agree with you, Brian needs to take this into consideration as well!

Reactions: frydaze
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT