ADVERTISEMENT

Big time project to help the Everglades and S Fl water supply is moving along

billanole

HB Legend
Mar 5, 2005
and it makes me wonder what Marjorie Stoneman Douglas would think. I also wonder if Big Sugar is helping to fund this undertaking.

Florida is embarking on an ambitious ecological restoration project in the Everglades: building a reservoir large enough to secure the state's water supply.
In February 2023, a large digger broke ground on a multi-billion dollar project that has been decades in the making: building a reservoir the size of Manhattan Island.
The reservoir, which is part of an historic restoration of the Everglades ecosystem, is intended to help bring a secure, long-term supply of clean drinking water to Florida's residents.
The Everglades Agricultural Area (EAA) reservoir will be located south of Lake Okeechobee, the largest freshwater lake in Florida, and conservationists have dubbed the project "the crown jewel" of the Everglades' restoration.
"It is the single most important project to store, clean and send water from Lake Okeechobee to nourish the Everglades and supply clean drinking water to millions in South Florida," Meenakshi Chabba tells BBC Future Planet. Chabba is an ecosystem scientist at the Everglades Foundation, one of the non-profit organisations that advocated for the project.

When I read the cost that Israel has gotten desal down to I want to see the laws shift to requiring it for human sourced / human consumed water.

Save the rivers and aquifers from tragedy of the commons.

Figure out a way to use the leftover salt to make thermal batteries or beach castles for tourists to gawk at or something.

This state has a lot of free power available that can be tapped to help keep the cost down.

We should take advantage of the Chinese overproduction of solar.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
and it makes me wonder what Marjorie Stoneman Douglas would think. I also wonder if Big Sugar is helping to fund this undertaking.

Florida is embarking on an ambitious ecological restoration project in the Everglades: building a reservoir large enough to secure the state's water supply.
In February 2023, a large digger broke ground on a multi-billion dollar project that has been decades in the making: building a reservoir the size of Manhattan Island.
The reservoir, which is part of an historic restoration of the Everglades ecosystem, is intended to help bring a secure, long-term supply of clean drinking water to Florida's residents.
The Everglades Agricultural Area (EAA) reservoir will be located south of Lake Okeechobee, the largest freshwater lake in Florida, and conservationists have dubbed the project "the crown jewel" of the Everglades' restoration.
"It is the single most important project to store, clean and send water from Lake Okeechobee to nourish the Everglades and supply clean drinking water to millions in South Florida," Meenakshi Chabba tells BBC Future Planet. Chabba is an ecosystem scientist at the Everglades Foundation, one of the non-profit organisations that advocated for the project.
Looks like big sugar is fighting it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT