ADVERTISEMENT

Big Weekend

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
It would be fantastic to have a couple of commitments come from this weekend's visitors! Toussaint, Foster, Jackson-Davis & PMac are a great group of players. Just having them on campus together for official visits is Frantastic!

This is probably the highest rated group to ever visit at one time. Or would there have been more higher rated groups in the last 10 years??

The lowest rated player is still ranked in the top 25 for PGs in the country (per 247). And has about 20 offers. Not too shabby! Reel him in Fran!

Really good article on Hawk Central about Jackson-Davis. From the sounds of it Iowa has a decent shot.

Reactions: perryhawk
Really good article on Hawk Central about Jackson-Davis. From the sounds of it Iowa has a decent shot.

The article is quite good. I like the tone. He seems fairly open minded to where he wants to go. And interested in the Hawks and how he can contribute. Plus the combination of players would make him look good...

If they play a scrimmage, those in the know better share!

Hawkcentral:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...michigan-state-wake-forest-purdue/1205489002/

The staff does not feel very confident about getting Jackson-Davis, but they are going to push for a Toussaint commitment this weekend as he is their current 1st choice and they feel they are in the lead with him. The possibility of “first one to accept the offer” may happen after the weekend if Toussaint doesn’t commit.

Great recruiting weekend for Fran and the Hawkeyes! Tracye Jackson-Davis says he will probably make his decision after his season. Most likely Joe Toussaint is going to take some more visits before his decision. Xavier Foster is a 2020 recruit so still early in his recruiting. But you never know what can happen when a recruit finds a home. How bout those Hawkyes!

The staff does not feel very confident about getting Jackson-Davis, but they are going to push for a Toussaint commitment this weekend as he is their current 1st choice and they feel they are in the lead with him. The possibility of “first one to accept the offer” may happen after the weekend if Toussaint doesn’t commit.
One has nothing to do with the other. Link or source of your info?

One has nothing to do with the other. Link or source of your info?

There won't be a link to anything stated there, it doesn't mean it's not true. With Jackson-Davis, I'd still put Iowa's chances at < 20%, given they are competing against home-state Indiana, Sparty and UCLA among others. But kudos to Iowa for getting an official. Jackson-Davis is worth waiting until the spring for and keeping a scholarship open if he wants to come.
Iowa does need to move on a PG and while Toussaint seems to be drawing the most interest of the PG prospects Iowa is in on from other schools, it makes total sense for Iowa to push for a commitment and if they don't get it it becomes first one to commit gets the scholarship.

Makes sense to me. They don't want to wait until the spring to find a PG, and I expect Toussaint to be very impressed by his visit.

Reactions: HawkLogic
Maybe TJD has a great visit and bonds with the players and recruits. Maybe he comes away impressed enough to keep Iowa among his final schools. And maybe Iowa goes on a tear early in the year and shows signs of a huge turnaround. We'd have a shot.

And if he doesn't pick Iowa, as most expect, it still looks good to have 5-star players taking officials to Iowa City. And maybe his presence will help encourage Toussaint to pull the trigger, and build Iowa's relationship with Foster. I like the approach.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69

That could suck for Collins.

If you had a 1 in 5 shot at winning Powerball this weekend, are you buying a ticket?

Yes. But this really isnt that open of a recruitment. What was he going to say? "Yes, I'm probably going to Indiana, but I just figured I'd come out here and waste your time."

Reactions: CyberJJ
I like that Fran is at least getting some of these kids to visit the campus ... The reality of it is the only one we may get is the PG ...

Yes. But this really isnt that open of a recruitment. What was he going to say? "Yes, I'm probably going to Indiana, but I just figured I'd come out here and waste your time."
LOL, so he's coming to visit Iowa with 0% interest and just to waste some time. Iowa has a chance no matter how small it may be or he would be going to one of many other locations to "waste time".

Reactions: kceasthawk

I only know what he said...

"I’m not a lock to Indiana. I think people just assume that because where I am, being south of Indianapolis. Indiana has done a great job of recruiting me, but I’m nowhere near a lock to them. I wouldn't be wasting everyone’s time going on all these visits if I was just going to commit there."

This is the quote from the article that got my attention. Sounds very promising.
What is Iowa’s main recruiting pitch to you?

"I think that it’s (my role), and I feel like with me and Patrick (McCaffery), we might be able to land a few other guys. I feel like we’d have a really good shot at winning a championship."

what I find amusing is a clown fan on a msg board that tells people that a ecruit that is on a official vist has no interest in the team and the coaches know they have no chance at said recruit.

What i don't find amusing if the fact that you are still alive and come to this site even though you've been banned no less than 6 times because like in real life, everyone on this site hates you.

I don’t think TJD is coming here, but I didn’t think Cook was coming here either. We were playing good ball when Cook committed though.

Indiana just literally got a commitment from his best friend. Also in the 19 class. Its pretty obvious where TJD is going. Dont get me wrong, Iowa should be good the next few years. You guys will get some talent. But trying to recruit in Indiana against Archie Miller is becoming about impossible.

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
There won't be a link to anything stated there, it doesn't mean it's not true. With Jackson-Davis, I'd still put Iowa's chances at < 20%, given they are competing against home-state Indiana, Sparty and UCLA among others. But kudos to Iowa for getting an official. Jackson-Davis is worth waiting until the spring for and keeping a scholarship open if he wants to come.
Iowa does need to move on a PG and while Toussaint seems to be drawing the most interest of the PG prospects Iowa is in on from other schools, it makes total sense for Iowa to push for a commitment and if they don't get it it becomes first one to commit gets the scholarship.
I just hope we don't miss a really good player if it becomes a first to commit situation. Back when Lute was coach we landed Johnny Fort, when IIRC Tim McCalister was also really interested. McCalister went on to score 2200+ points at Okla State, and would have made a much bigger impact as a Hawkeye than Fort ever did.

what I find amusing is a clown fan on a msg board that tells people that a ecruit that is on a official vist has no interest in the team and the coaches know they have no chance at said recruit.
Yep, "staff does not feel very confident" certainly = absolutely no shot.

Yep, "staff does not feel very confident" certainly = absolutely no shot.
lol but the staff still paid for his visit. if this is how the coaches treat a player they have no confidence in getting, wonder what they do with players they do feel confident in. :eek:

I just hope we don't miss a really good player if it becomes a first to commit situation. Back when Lute was coach we landed Johnny Fort, when IIRC Tim McCalister was also really interested. McCalister went on to score 2200+ points at Okla State, and would have made a much bigger impact as a Hawkeye than Fort ever did.
Good point, but I think Lute thought he was getting a great PG in Johnny Fort. Recruiting news wasn't as available back then, so I don't know how Fort stacked up versus McCalister coming out of HS... Let's hope Fran chooses wisely, because we need a quality PG in this class.

I left Iowa City the next year, so I am not clear all that happened, but I get the impression that Fort wasn't nearly as good a person off the court, as he was a BB player. I know he transferred and barely played, but I can't remember the details. Honestly, I never understood how George Raveling could take the players, who Lute had left behind (Stokes, Payne, Lohaus, Carfino, Banks..), and screw the pooch so badly. In preseason, they were a top 10 team, yet they finished near the bottom of the Big Ten.

Ravelling just was not that good of a coach. also he was getting recruits because of Lute's success. keep wondering where Fran would be sitting if he took over a team coming off a sweet 16 vs 11 seasons where Iowa had just 3 .500 or better BT seasons.

Fran had 5 straight .500 or better BT season and only Izzo of MSU can make that claim.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Thanks.

Davis had already had an unofficial visit. I don’t think he’d be returning to Iowa if he weren’t seriously considering us.

Yep. You don't make a player's Top 5 if there's zero interest. And TJD wouldn't be wasting the staff's time, or his own, with an official visit if his mind is already made up.

If the visit is just so-so, Iowa will probably get cut. But a great visit could keep Iowa in the picture, and since all these recruits are coming in for one big weekend it sounds like the staff is going to pull out all the stops. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: perryhawk
Yep. You don't make a player's Top 5 if there's zero interest. And TJD wouldn't be wasting the staff's time, or his own, with an official visit if his mind is already made up.

If the visit is just so-so, Iowa will probably get cut. But a great visit could keep Iowa in the picture, and since all these recruits are coming in for one big weekend it sounds like the staff is going to pull out all the stops. We'll see what happens.
the fact he has been here several times on his dime, sound foolish to think he is not interested. players at this level don't visit teams on their dime then come in on a official visit. playing with Patrick and Fran's style of play is the biggest draw.

I heard he may be shopping around ... ;)

ShortResponsibleIsopod-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Rustys Dad
ADVERTISEMENT