ADVERTISEMENT

BIG20

I would think if you are adding 2 teams from the Pac 10 you might as well go all the way and add 4 more. But which 4? Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal? Colorado?

I would think if you are adding 2 teams from the Pac 10 you might as well go all the way and add 4 more. But which 4? Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal? Colorado?
I don't think Colorado or Stanford would add much, both have had some good seasons at times, but nothing that tips the scale. I would rather go after Florida State and Miami, especially before the SEC does.

Reactions: iowaflash
Maybe add USC and UCLA to the West, and North Carolina and Duke to the East. Might even out the divisions a little more….
A couple years ago their was some talk of north carolina and ga tech to the big 10. Acc then had everyone commit to 2036 or something like that ( or have large buyout).
This was to avoid sec stealing.

I live in Florida, but no where near Miami. LOL I am closest to UCF
Guess we both enjoy the Hawks, and warm Winters. Now, I gotta travel from AZ to SoCal to watch the Hawks in the Coliseum & Rose Bowl every few years.

I've always liked FSU, hate the Gators, and The "U." I'm okay with UCF & USF.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Guess we both enjoy the Hawks, and warm Winters. Now, I gotta travel from AZ to SoCal to watch the Hawks in the Coliseum & Rose Bowl every few years.

I've always liked FSU, hate the Gators, and The "U." I'm okay with UCF & USF.
I'm not really a fan of any Florida school, however my father was a Gator fan after my parents moved to Jacksonville in 1990 from Iowa. I will probably only be a Florida resident till the end of the year when I am planning on retiring and moving to the Philippines. My late wife was Filipina, and it is so much cheaper to live there then the US. However, I will have to get used to either recording Iowa games or watching them at odd times. I hate the U as well, but both the U and Florida State are big names when it comes to college football, and if were going to be playing games in LA, we might as well go to Florida as well. Plus, adding FSU and the U would greatly enhance recruiting in Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: bumpstock
I bet they add Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame and North Carolina and have (4) 5 team divisions within the conference. Winner of each division plays a conference “final four” winner of that plays the SEC winner of the same set up for the Natty

I bet they add Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame and North Carolina and have (4) 5 team divisions within the conference. Winner of each division plays a conference “final four” winner of that plays the SEC winner of the same set up for the Natty
In your scenario, who is the 5th team out west? Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA and somebody. Is it nebraska at that point?

Reactions: Niko13
I believe there is already a secret agreement in place for both the SEC and B1G to go to 24 teams.

These two super conferences will be the equivalent of NFC/AFC and a whole new CFB world with actual playoffs will unfold before our eyes.

Unfortunately, the remaining ~80 schools in FBS will be left out of this new 'premiere' championship level. They will still play for a mid-tier NCAA championship...one that falls between the new 'premiere' championship and the FCS level championship.

Call me crazy ...I dare you.

*see my post here regarding who could/should end up in the B1G.

Reactions: amahawk
I'm not really a fan of any Florida school, however my father was a Gator fan after my parents moved to Jacksonville in 1990 from Iowa. I will probably only be a Florida resident till the end of the year when I am planning on retiring and moving to the Philippines. My late wife was Filipina, and it is so much cheaper to live there then the US. However, I will have to get used to either recording Iowa games or watching them at odd times. I hate the U as well, but both the U and Florida State are big names when it comes to college football, and if were going to be playing games in LA, we might as well go to Florida as well. Plus, adding FSU and the U would greatly enhance recruiting in Florida.
Are there Hawkeye bars in the Philippines? :)

I don't think Colorado or Stanford would add much, both have had some good seasons at times, but nothing that tips the scale. I would rather go after Florida State and Miami, especially before the SEC does.
Miami? If you’re looking East, Virginia and NC would be more attractive. Miami has not drawn well in recent years.

Washington brings the Seattle market
Arizona State brings Phoenix
ND brings everywhere
Who is the fourth? Texas school? Miami? This is all about the eyes.

I believe there is already a secret agreement in place for both the SEC and B1G to go to 24 teams.

These two super conferences will be the equivalent of NFC/AFC and a whole new CFB world with actual playoffs will unfold before our eyes.

Unfortunately, the remaining ~80 schools in FBS will be left out of this new 'premiere' championship level. They will still play for a mid-tier NCAA championship...one that falls between the new 'premiere' championship and the FCS level championship.

I don’t think it’s crazy at all, but the new media deal is the biggest sticking point.

In your 48 team scenario, I think ISU would get in, but there would be a lot of nervous folks in Ames. Forbes has them as the 43rd most valuable football program. Above more marketable programs like UNC.

Now I’m curious.

Sure things:
1 Texas
2 Ohio State
3 Michigan
4 Alabama
5 Georgia
6 Notre Dame
7 Oklahoma
8 USC
9 LSU
10 Auburn
11 Tennessee
12 Penn State
13 Florida
14 A&M
15 Wisconsin
16 Nebraska
17 South Carolina
18 Arkansas
19 Iowa
20 Washington
21 Michigan State
22 Oregon
23 Mississippi
24 Clemson
25 UCLA

Likely In:
26 Arizona State
27 Florida State
28 Virginia Tech
29 Kansas State
30 Oklahoma State
31 Texas Tech
32 Kentucky
33 Minnesota
34 Stanford
35 Mississippi State
36 Georgia Tech
37 Utah
38 Colorado
39 Cal
40 Miami
41 UNC

Should be nervous:

TCU, ISU, Indiana, NW, Kansas, NC State, Louisville, Arizona, Illinois, Maryland, Washington State, Virginia, Purdue, Rutgers, Oregon State, Pitt, Mizzou, Baylor, BYU, Vandy, BC, West Virginia, Houston, Wake, Boise, CFU, Duke

I would add Oregon (Nike), Washington (Seattle market), Stanford (Bay Area) & ND. 4 pods of 5 teams each. Put the 5 west coast teams in a pod to reduce travel.

Reactions: Ree4 and amahawk
I would add Oregon (Nike), Washington (Seattle market), Stanford (Bay Area) & ND. 4 pods of 5 teams each. Put the 5 west coast teams in a pod to reduce travel.
Stanford has a bigger following for sure, but they don’t own the Bay Area. Cal has a sizable chunk.

Been there many times...well, Subic. I miss the food, and the people, but hate the wet heat. Damn long flight from Florida, but if it's one-way it's worth it. Let me know if you have a room to rent in a few years, I'm game ~ Go Hawks!

• Haha
I don’t think it’s crazy at all, but the new media deal is the biggest sticking point.

In your 48 team scenario, I think ISU would get in, but there would be a lot of nervous folks in Ames. Forbes has them as the 43rd most valuable football program. Above more marketable programs like UNC.

Now I’m curious.

Sure things:
1 Texas
2 Ohio State
3 Michigan
4 Alabama
5 Georgia
6 Notre Dame
7 Oklahoma
8 USC
9 LSU
10 Auburn
11 Tennessee
12 Penn State
13 Florida
14 A&M
15 Wisconsin
16 Nebraska
17 South Carolina
18 Arkansas
19 Iowa
20 Washington
21 Michigan State
22 Oregon
23 Mississippi
24 Clemson
25 UCLA

Likely In:
26 Arizona State
27 Florida State
28 Virginia Tech
29 Kansas State
30 Oklahoma State
31 Texas Tech
32 Kentucky
33 Minnesota
34 Stanford
35 Mississippi State
36 Georgia Tech
37 Utah
38 Colorado
39 Cal
40 Miami
41 UNC

Should be nervous:

TCU, ISU, Indiana, NW, Kansas, NC State, Louisville, Arizona, Illinois, Maryland, Washington State, Virginia, Purdue, Rutgers, Oregon State, Pitt, Mizzou, Baylor, BYU, Vandy, BC, West Virginia, Houston, Wake, Boise, CFU, Duke
You can add the Big 10 and SEC teams from “Should be nervous “ to “Sure thing” because they will not be kicked out. If the Big 10 and SEC are the 2 superconferences, all existing teams in those conferences will stay.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Stanford adds the San Fran tv area which right now according to Nielsen is the #6 market, the only market the BIG is really missing right now is Texas.

You can add the Big 10 and SEC teams from “Should be nervous “ to “Sure thing” because they will not be kicked out. If the Big 10 and SEC are the 2 superconferences, all existing teams in those conferences will stay.
I thought about that, but the reality is they might not be getting kicked out of anything. Rather left for dead for a new super conference.

I am thinking Oregon and Washington get added after Notre dame makes up its mind. I can see it get to 20 teams easily. The ACC deal really looks bad right now.

Been there many times...well, Subic. I miss the food, and the people, but hate the wet heat. Damn long flight from Florida, but if it's one-way it's worth it. Let me know if you have a room to rent in a few years, I'm game ~ Go Hawks!
I spent 26 days in Puerta Princesa Palawan in April, had a great time, and my hotel cost me $484 for 26 nights. It was a nice hotel for what it was. And the great thing is, I'm 58, but being American still draws looks from most of the Filipina, young and old. They like older men there, especially American men. So, if I move, get in touch sometime, I can show you around. ;) My wife was from Lipa City which is about 45 minutes drive south of Manila, right next to the Taal Lake and Taal Volcano which has been erupting the past couple years. Our house was 9.5 miles from the Volcano, and since I cannot own land, it went to her parents. I figure I can move there and live like a king for a grand or less a month.

Reactions: bumpstock
It'll always be the Big Ten and make more sense when the league ends up with a pair of 10-team divisions . . . let's call 'em East and West.
If they're still gonna do CCGs, then yes that's the way to go.

Whether that's by adding 2 more Pac 12 schools (which would make more sense geographically) or Notre Dame and say.....Pittsburgh.

Then they can go to pod scheduling to keep some semblance of traditional rivals.

My question is, will these superconferences actually do anything to fix Iowa's perceived weak scheduling?

I spent 26 days in Puerta Princesa Palawan in April, had a great time, and my hotel cost me $484 for 26 nights. It was a nice hotel for what it was. And the great thing is, I'm 58, but being American still draws looks from most of the Filipina, young and old. They like older men there, especially American men. So, if I move, get in touch sometime, I can show you around. ;) My wife was from Lipa City which is about 45 minutes drive south of Manila, right next to the Taal Lake and Taal Volcano which has been erupting the past couple years. Our house was 9.5 miles from the Volcano, and since I cannot own land, it went to her parents. I figure I can move there and live like a king for a grand or less a month.
Ten years older, and feeing great. Love the hotel you picked, right up my alley. Simple diet (seafood, rice, chicken, eggs (no Balut), and San Miguel. I was aware about the lack of land ownership because I was interested in buying some there, and my wife wasn't a Filipina. They sure love their Chess there. Is the area where your father-in-law lives too rural for internet? I would think you could stream games, but with the time delay you could wait until the next day without knowing the results, too.

1K per month should do it fine; average Social Security monthly payment at 62. Nice Peso exchange rate, too!

Ten years older, and feeing great. Love the hotel you picked, right up my alley. Simple diet (seafood, rice, chicken, eggs (no Balut), and San Miguel. I was aware about the lack of land ownership because I was interested in buying some there, and my wife wasn't a Filipina. They sure love their Chess there. Is the area where your father-in-law lives too rural for internet? I would think you could stream games, but with the time delay you could wait until the next day without knowing the results, too.

1K per month should do it fine; average Social Security monthly payment at 62. Nice Peso exchange rate, too!
Internet is good. Lipa City I think has around 300k people, and overall area is roughly the size of Des Moines, without the suburbs of course. I have Youtube Tv and a VPN, which is the only way I can watch my streaming channels, and it works fine. The Philippines is exactly 12 hours a head of me here in Florida, so an Iowa game at 3pm would be 3 am their. I am not sure where I want to live, my wifes family wants me to move to their city, whild I liked Palawan. Palawan is more traditional Philippines, far less people and cheaper then Luzon. Plus, El Nido is one of the biggest tourist places, and the country side there is beautiful. The internet in my hotel was not great, but it was free, and they had AC and a hot shower, both are musts for me. Screw that Tabo crap. LOL

Internet is good. Lipa City I think has around 300k people, and overall area is roughly the size of Des Moines, without the suburbs of course. I have Youtube Tv and a VPN, which is the only way I can watch my streaming channels, and it works fine. The Philippines is exactly 12 hours a head of me here in Florida, so an Iowa game at 3pm would be 3 am their. I am not sure where I want to live, my wifes family wants me to move to their city, whild I liked Palawan. Palawan is more traditional Philippines, far less people and cheaper then Luzon. Plus, El Nido is one of the biggest tourist places, and the country side there is beautiful. The internet in my hotel was not great, but it was free, and they had AC and a hot shower, both are musts for me. Screw that Tabo crap. LOL
I might need to take some Tagalog lessons; there are a lot of Ex-Pats living there (and, Thailand). Thailand is a great place to consider, too. Last time I was in The Phillippines, Marcos was President; now his son is.

zany-irish-braveheart.gif

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I might need to take some Tagalog lessons; there are a lot of Ex-Pats living there (and, Thailand). Thailand is a great place to consider, too. Last time I was in The Phillippines, Marcos was President; now his son is.
I was married for over ten years till she passed away last year, and I still don't speak a lot of Tagalog, but the good thing about the Philippines is that almost everyone speaks English. I could consider a Thai women, but I don't think they speak as much english.

ADVERTISEMENT