ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Blunder by Kirk in his tenure

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Your offense is one of the worst in the country. Your QB coach and right arm of the OC retires. Do you go out and hire a young creative QB coach? Noooooo, you have your son be QB coach along with OC duties and hire a QB consultant who really wasn't that good when he played.

While I'm on a roll, I question Barnett as our OL coach. Our OL has looked poor. Rushed for a little over 50 yards today, not going to cut it.

Too late this year to overhaul the offense.

Bottom line, Kirk really messed up. All in an effort to make his son look good. Iowa fans deserve better.

Your offense is one of the worst in the country. Your QB coach and right arm of the OC retires. Do you go out and hire a young creative QB coach? Noooooo, you have your son be QB coach along with OC duties and hire a QB consultant who really wasn't that good when he played.

While I'm on a roll, I question Barnett as our OL coach. Our OL has looked poor. Rushed for a little over 50 yards today, not going to cut it.

Bottom line, Kirk really messed up. All in an effort to make his son look good. Iowa fans deserve better.
Thank you for this post.

And you are absolutely right. The problem is this is not fixable because Kirk will never demote Brian. And that’s why Kirk retiring is the only viable option.

His biggest failure BY FAR is being deathly afraid of mobile QB's, and large black athletic WR's...yeah, I said it. Dominique Douglas scarred Ferments for life at the WR position...and it's a damn shame that he let ONE player do that to him....criminal and fireable!!!

His biggest failure BY FAR is being deathly afraid of mobile QB's, and large black athletic WR's...yeah, I said it. Dominique Douglas scarred Ferments for life at the WR position...and it's a damn shame that he let ONE player do that to him....criminal and fireable!!!
Yep between that and djk...

DJK as the follow up WR to Douglass= Doom

I’ve seen it said on this site several times that they tried to get Martinez, but he chose K-State over us.

I just don’t buy that for a second, if they truly wanted a QB out of the portal, they would’ve gotten one. There’s something like 40 transfer portal QBs that earned starting jobs this year. And every single one of them would be an upgrade over Petras.

His master plan to ride off into the sunset and hand the whistle over to Brian ain't happening.

When he rides off, his fingers need to STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE PIE.....period!!!! The AD....whoever it is...does NOT need to be looking to him for guidance....it is a NEW ERA and he clearly has NOT adapted....he should have been gone 8 years ago!!!

I am black and tall - sign me up

I am more of a wrestling guy and I think of how different the mentalities of our coaches are in both sports. A few years ago in 2020, Brands had a decision to make between 3 guys at 184: He had a guy in Cash Wilcke who was in his last year and just missed being an All America the year prior. Then he had his undersized but solid wrestler in his nephew, Nelson Brands who lost to Cash at Midlands by two points. Finally, he had a true freshman in Abe Assad who had a decent showing at Midlands but had some head scratchers early on in the season.

Brands is known as a coach who redshirts everybody but between the three, he chose to go with Assad. He also did this with Spencer Lee 9 months out from ACL surgery his freshman year which was a huge gamble. Brands has also shown a willingness to go out into the portal and get guys. He has overruled wrestle off results and went with the guy who lost (Ramos). If a guy doesn't wrestle or put in the work to their standards, he'll give other guys shots (Clark and Gilman). I know for certain that if a wrestler is going to post season with the Hawks, he's the best guy they have. I don't know this with Iowa football.

I am more of a wrestling guy and I think of how different the mentalities of our coaches are in both sports. A few years ago in 2020, Brands had a decision to make between 3 guys at 184: He had a guy in Cash Wilcke who was in his last year and just missed being an All America the year prior. Then he had his undersized but solid wrestler in his nephew, Nelson Brands who lost to Cash at Midlands by two points. Finally, he had a true freshman in Abe Assad who had a decent showing at Midlands but had some head scratchers early on in the season.

Brands is known as a coach who redshirts everybody but between the three, he chose to go with Assad. He also did this with Spencer Lee 9 months out from ACL surgery his freshman year which was a huge gamble. Brands has also shown a willingness to go out into the portal and get guys. He has overruled wrestle off results and went with the guy who lost (Ramos). If a guy doesn't wrestle or put in the work to their standards, he'll give other guys shots (Clark and Gilman). I know for certain that if a wrestler is going to post season with the Hawks, he's the best guy they have. I don't know this with Iowa football.
And I bet Brands values those guys as individuals that he doesn’t select for post season off the matt too! KF and BF like Spencer as a person so they play him due to that fact to heck with the the rest of TEAM.. “we like you so you get to play” consistent winners aren’t wired like that they play the best players because they would like to win

Absolutely criminal they didn’t pick up a QB in the transfer portal

Petras and Padillo....any sane guy sends at least one of those guys packing his bags to open the schollie and bring in a QB transfer with more talent.

Tracey dropped a lot of passes...I didn't mind him leaving so much. Jones was a key player and losing him to portal was big. KF/BF may have failed to make concessions to him on how he would be used and lost him to Purdue...or Jones just had enough sense to get out of dodge and go to a place that knows how to move the ball.

OL ---one doesn't find elite Tackles in the portal. If a Tackle is good and upperclassman, they just go to NFL early. Guards are a dime a dozen in Portal. Iowa has plenty of guards...lack of athletic OTs is the issue.

Reactions: littlez
Petras and Padillo....any sane guy sends at least one of those guys packing his bags to open the schollie and bring in a QB transfer with more talent.

Tracey dropped a lot of passes...I didn't mind him leaving so much. Jones was a key player and losing him to portal was big. KF/BF may have failed to make concessions to him on how he would be used and lost him to Purdue...or Jones just had enough sense to get out of dodge and go to a place that knows how to move the ball.

OL ---one doesn't find elite Tackles in the portal. If a Tackle is good and upperclassman, they just go to NFL early. Guards are a dime a dozen in Portal. Iowa has plenty of guards...lack of athletic OTs is the issue.
I agree that OL was the biggest head scratcher as far as the portal goes. We should be able to get OL recruits to come to Iowa, especially some talented kid that was overlooked out of high school and is playing in the MAC or something. Our C and OT are bad. The idea that we didn't get any help there is crazy.

KF's biggest blunder is micromanaging the offense.

Hire someone and let them run things the way they want. Very obvious over the past 20 plus years that the philosophy hasn't changed and there is only one common denominator.

Very little of what we're doing on offense right now resembles the NFL.

I don't get it. I have have been watching Hawkeye football since 1981 in person. Moved to Iowa from Tennessee. This is is the absolute most horsecrap offense since 82 when we got smoked by Nebraska and beaten at home against Silo Tech 19-7. Kirk was on the that staff and watched the transformation at Arizona with a 17-14 win starting freshman Chuck Long. Kirk does not believe in Fry's off offense or he is an inept judge of QB talent. Just unbelievable.

Reactions: intrepodor
KFs brand of ball doesn't work with out physical domination in the trenches and a time eating offense capable of putting up some level of points. Right now we have neither.

Not having the punt team in fake punt protect in 2010, really feel that was a watershed moment for both programs where our trajectories crossed.

"
Ferentz took full blame after the loss to Wisconsin in 2010. He regretted not calling for safer coverage on the punt.

“Had we gone punt safe, it wouldn’t have been an issue,” Ferentz said. “We blew that one. That’s my job.”

The team came unraveled a bit after that game, next season was rhabdo, never really the same since.

Kicking the FG up two scores late at home against Purdue at home in 2004. Blocked, returned a long ways, Purdue TD, and now we have a ballgame. We pull it out, but better to go for the Fourth and (I dunno) 2. If you don’t get it, Purdue is like 90 yards merely from the first of two scores they need.

Biggest Kirk blunder.

Well said Gunner! You are most definitely one of the brightest fans on this forum (no sarcasm intended) always love reading your posts my man!

ADVERTISEMENT