ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Blunder by Kirk in his tenure

His biggest failure BY FAR is being deathly afraid of mobile QB's, and large black athletic WR's...yeah, I said it. Dominique Douglas scarred Ferments for life at the WR position...and it's a damn shame that he let ONE player do that to him....criminal and fireable!!!
Neither DJK or DD were large.

Your offense is one of the worst in the country. Your QB coach and right arm of the OC retires. Do you go out and hire a young creative QB coach? Noooooo, you have your son be QB coach along with OC duties and hire a QB consultant who really wasn't that good when he played.

While I'm on a roll, I question Barnett as our OL coach. Our OL has looked poor. Rushed for a little over 50 yards today, not going to cut it.

Too late this year to overhaul the offense.

Bottom line, Kirk really messed up. All in an effort to make his son look good. Iowa fans deserve better.
BS ! Pretty easy to pile on now. Brian has proven he's a good coach. I'm sure he will keep working hard to get our offense going. Kirk has done great things for our program , you have a short memory.

To the OPs point, who is all in the offensive room? We have lost 2 good offensive minds and former OCs in recent years(Polesak and KOK), and haven’t exactly brought in offensive minds to replace them.

Reactions: littlez
I thought hiring Greg Davis was the worst blunder, but the current OL coach may be it.

Runners-up - only because it would be more difficult to predict - would be signing the some of the knucklehead players who brought down the 2006 team (e.g., D. Douglass) and the rapists (e.g., Everson). He dodged a bullet with Bonecrusher transferring out and going to Purdue.

I thought hiring Greg Davis was the worst blunder, but the current OL coach may be it.

Runners-up - only because it would be more difficult to predict - would be signing the some of the knucklehead players who brought down the 2006 team (e.g., D. Douglass) and the rapists (e.g., Everson). He dodged a bullet with Bonecrusher transferring out and going to Purdue.
DL coach Kaz is an honorable mention.

Reactions: burkyhawk
Your offense is one of the worst in the country. Your QB coach and right arm of the OC retires. Do you go out and hire a young creative QB coach? Noooooo, you have your son be QB coach along with OC duties and hire a QB consultant who really wasn't that good when he played.

While I'm on a roll, I question Barnett as our OL coach. Our OL has looked poor. Rushed for a little over 50 yards today, not going to cut it.

Bottom line, Kirk really messed up. All in an effort to make his son look good. Iowa fans deserve better.
I think it was not calling a time out on the play that resulted in the bomb caught by warren Holloway

Reactions: Bruceman44
Well said Gunner! You are most definitely one of the brightest fans on this forum (no sarcasm intended) always love reading your posts my man!
Thanks Jersey. I try to be optimistic but even a neophyte would recognize PPP (piss poor passing) by Petras. Continues to throw high, poor footwork getting set, I'm going to start calling him twinkle toes.

Kid has a great arm but I remember a California QB named McGuire who could launch it but he never could sustain a drive. After a couple games Hayden inserted Hartlieb, eventually became a All Big Ten QB. The rest is history.

Kirk needs to make a change.

BS ! Pretty easy to pile on now. Brian has proven he's a good coach. I'm sure he will keep working hard to get our offense going. Kirk has done great things for our program , you have a short memory.
You can’t possibly believe that, right? I mean, this is satire that we’re all just missing, correct?

KF's biggest blunder is micromanaging the offense.

Hire someone and let them run things the way they want. Very obvious over the past 20 plus years that the philosophy hasn't changed and there is only one common denominator.

Very little of what we're doing on offense right now resembles the NFL.
Was discussing this the other day with some fellow Hawk fans. It seems that our archaic offensive scheme has traditionally been supported by KF as "pro-style". Well, there are a whole lot of NFL teams running offenses that hardly resemble what Iowa continues to try.

I've heard it said that we run this outdated offensive scheme because we don't have the athletes to run more innovative ones. This argument holds no water, as there are lesser programs with less athletic players across the nation running other schemes and having a whole lot more success than we've had offensively over the past decade or so.

We're way overdue for a new O-coordinator with a fresh philosophy. We literally can't do any worse than we're doing currently, and it's hard to believe we could do any worse offensively than we've done since BF took over. It's way past time for KF to allow some innovation on the offensive side or move on and let LeVar or some other up-and-coming coach do the job.

Was discussing this the other day with some fellow Hawk fans. It seems that our archaic offensive scheme has traditionally been supported by KF as "pro-style". Well, there are a whole lot of NFL teams running offenses that hardly resemble what Iowa continues to try.

I've heard it said that we run this outdated offensive scheme because we don't have the athletes to run more innovative ones. This argument holds no water, as there are lesser programs with less athletic players across the nation running other schemes and having a whole lot more success than we've had offensively over the past decade or so.

We're way overdue for a new O-coordinator with a fresh philosophy. We literally can't do any worse than we're doing currently, and it's hard to believe we could do any worse offensively than we've done since BF took over. It's way past time for KF to allow some innovation on the offensive side or move on and let LeVar or some other up-and-coming coach do the job.
100% this. There’s tons of RPO’s and all kind of things that used to only be done in college now being run in the NFL. It’s an absolute joke what we’re running. Or attempting to run.

To the OPs point, who is all in the offensive room? We have lost 2 good offensive minds and former OCs in recent years(Polesak and KOK), and haven’t exactly brought in offensive minds to replace them.
Glad you brought up Polesak.
Glad someone mentions Polasek. Why was he hired in the first place if his experience as an OC along as a HC we’re not going to be utilized? Likely why he left in the first place as once he was here, realized there was no future here!

Kirk isn’t going to make any changes. Better execution will be the focus this off-season.

KF will run the program into the ground before admitting he is wrong. I’ve accepted that and will still watch.

As a 12 year old, I attended the 1973 home finale versus Michigan State. Iowa was 0-10 and Frank Lauterbur had been fired earlier in the week.

In the 55 years of following Iowa football, this year’s offense has a chance to surpass the ineptitude of Hawkeye offenses I watched in 1971, 1973, 1978, 1998, and 2012. At least this will be a historic season.

• Sad
Reactions: drew_hawk

Kirk knew exactly what he was doing with the Davis hire. KOK resigned for Dolphins job and Kirk gets a guy no one else wanted anymore as OC who was out of coaching for a year. But it was a perfect fit because Davis wasn't the long term fix and was close to retirement. That meant Kirk could give Brian some time, who was hired that off season as well as OL coach, to be at Iowa and promote his son. Just like when Brian got the OC job we bring KOK back as highest paid QB coach to hold his hand and try and teach him how to be an OC.

Last edited:
2009 @ OSU was the most gutless thing Kirk has done as head coach. A chance for a Big Ten title and the Rose Bowl and he decides to kneel on the ball for overtime. Sure we had a freshman QB making the first start of his career. But damn it, take a chance. We had Daniel Murray at kicker, 35 seconds left with one timeout, McNutt and DJK at wide receiver plus Moeaki at TE, and needed about 40 yards in the middle of the field(where it is easier to move the ball downfield than at the end of the field in OT) for a reasonable shot at a game winner.

Some guys are practice players. They look great when they know there is no real pressure on them even if the OL fails. On the other hand, some players are gamers. When the light goes on, they perform under fire. Now we don't even know if we have such a player this season. Maybe they've coached the spirit out of Padilla, just as they obviously have Petras. But you never know if you don't give them a chance. And if ever there was a program that screamed QB change, it's Iowa. C'mon Kirk, you surely aren't willing to flush the season down the toilet just to prove your stubborn point that YOU make all the decisions, are you?

Last edited:
Reactions: NI hawk
all that matters is getting 6 wins and getting to a bowl. that's it. nothing more and nothing less. heck, even winning the bowl does not matter. if you get really lucky and get a championship game twice every ten years, and lose that, even THAT doesn't matter. see the bowl game and champ game last year.

I think mediocrity is the goal here.

Reactions: DewHawk
Some guys are practice players. They look great when they know there is no real pressure on them even if the OL fails. On the other hand, some players are gamers. When the light goes on, they perform under fire. Now we don't even know if we have such a player this season. Maybe they've coached the spirit out of Padillo, just as they obviously have Petras. But you never know if you don't give them a chance. And if ever there was a program that screamed QB change, it's Iowa. C'mon Kirk, you surely aren't willing to flush the season down the toilet just to prove your stubborn point that YOU make all the decisions, are you?
zig ziglar used to say something like "practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. "

If you were ever in band and played an instrument, you had to practice the piece of music that you play, and execute it perfectly every single time, over and over, in practice, in order to play it live perfectly.

tennis is like this as well: practice over and over, the serve, the forehand , the backhand. practice perfection. if you are missing, hit it till it makes it in. I have heard tom brady practices like this. probably so.

I believe Barta has set the bar at seven wins a year. Hard to imagine we reach that pathetic goal this season, no matter what Ferentz does now. But any HC that has watched his QB struggle all season, and refuses to replace him is just sabotaging his own program.

Reactions: NI hawk
I believe Barta has set the bar at seven wins a year. Hard to imagine we reach that pathetic goal this season, no matter what Ferentz does now. But any HC that has watched his QB struggle all season, and refuses to replace him is just sabotaging his own program.
After the Kentucky game last year everyone could see the offensive problems ahead.
Kirk did nothing about it. Arrogance and stubbornness.

I was there and screaming for a TO. That was pure unadulterated luck, then total disbelief, then euphoria. One of the greatest Hawkeye moments of all time.
Sometimes you trip over a frozen turd and land in a pot of gold. But a lot more often you land on another turd.

2009 @ OSU was the most gutless thing Kirk has done as head coach. A chance for a Big Ten title and the Rose Bowl and he decides to kneel on the ball for overtime. Sure we had a freshman QB making the first start of his career. But damn it, take a chance. We had Daniel Murray at kicker, 35 seconds left with one timeout, McNutt and DJK at wide receiver plus Moeaki at TE, and needed about 40 yards in the middle of the field(where it is easier to move the ball downfield than at the end of the field in OT) for a reasonable shot at a game winner.
Yeah, that one still bothers me. No other coach in the country plays for overtime in that situation. It was the perfect example of playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

Excuse me, I was a big KF and BF supporter but our offense was 123 nationally last year and worse this year. Not sure BF can turn this ship around.

Remember the excitement we all felt in October of 2017 as our Hawkeyes came out of the locker room throwing it against Ohio State? We all thought Brian had talked Kirk into opening things up and bringing the offense into the 21st Century?

Reactions: littlez
Sometimes I watch highlights of the 2002 season and am just dumbfounded that this is the same head coach running things today. WTF is wrong with having a dynamic offense in addition to a high-quality defense? Did KF just not enjoy having a dual-threat Heisman candidate QB, kick-arse offensive line and exciting skill position players all over the field? WTF are we doing paying a guy $7 million/year who has clearly just given up on trying to compete? JFC.

Starting and continuing to start Herb "more suspensions than touchdowns" Grigsby
Adam "pass interference" shada
city boyz inc

Last edited:

Nope. Biggest mistake was not recommending that BF reboot his career somewhere else and hire a new OC.

I see no reason to have a QB coach in CF. There just simply isn't enough time for 2 coaches to be in the ear of a young QB. The OC should be the QB coach.

BF might have a decent future in football, but only if he takes a job someone where else. OL coach in the NFL, for example. Or, HC at some D2 program. BF has money, and his parents have LOTS of money. He should have left and started over.

Edit - KF has done a disservice to his son. He's still young and needs to build his own resume.

Biggest blunder is to hire family...BF has done nothing with the offense and needs to go. Perhaps he can start over at an FCS, starting as an OL coach and then work his way back to being an OC if he learns much along the way. He's horrible.

I hate that doing great things for our program is a .610 winning percentage. If he was .650+ Iowa probably has 2 more Big Ten titles under Ferentz. And all that would have taken was a slightly better offense over the last 2/3 of his career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT