ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest difference between Iowa & Wisconsin Football: RB position?

Jul 30, 2004
Many words have been typed on this forum since 2010 about what has enabled Wisconsin to experience far greater success than Iowa (head-to-head and overall) in football over the last 10-11 years. For starters, it is obvious that Wisconsin's larger state population and the lack of an Iowa State equivalent is a huge advantage to the Badgers from a resource standpoint.

But is the primary difference in on-field results due to the fact that Wisconsin has been substantially better than Iowa at running back? Both programs have excellent coaching staffs and fanbases. Both put a multitude of OL and defensive players in the NFL. Both are generally pedestrian at QB -- Iowa produces better TE's, while Wisconsin has been better at WR.

But since 2010 (Shonn Greene's final game was Jan 1, 2009), Iowa has had the following guys play running back:

Adam Robinson, Marcus Coker, Marc Weisman, Damon Bullock, Jordan Canzeri, LeShun Daniels, Akrum Wadley, Ivory Kelly-Martin, Toren Young, Tyler Goodson.

On the other hand, Wisconsin has had the following:

James White, Montee Ball, Melvin Gordon, Corey Clement, Jonathan Taylor, Braelon Allen.

Other than Ball and Allen (current freshman phenom at UW), the others are all still active NFL players, with Taylor being the most productive RB in in the NFL. Only two of these players (Gordon and Allen) are Wisconsin natives.

I have long believed that the worst recruiting loss of the KF Era was Melvin Gordon flipping from Iowa to Wisconsin, as I believe a healthy MG would have been worth 5 more wins during the 2013-2014 seasons alone.

Obviously, every program tries to recruit the best that it possibly can, but I believe that Wisconsin's excellence at RB is the primary difference for their edge over Iowa in the last decade.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News