ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Question in the CyHawk Series..

Does Iowa State Finally score a TD under MC at Kinnick this year?

• Yes

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 45 70.3%

• Total voters
A storm is brewing…….
Well played.

Seriously, the reaction will be sickening and over the top whenever ISU finally beats Iowa under Campbell. Hosannas will be lifted to the heavens to honor the best coach to ever walk the earth. Or maybe KF will never lost to Campbell in his career, but that seems unlikely.

It is quite amazing that Fleck and Campbell are a combined 0-12 or something similar against KF. The old stodgy no-nothing has dominated the hot hires in an incredible way.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I think the game will be closer than last year but I do think Iowa will pull it off. It will be hard to replicate all the TOs from last year but I don't see them scoring much. I think the problem for ISU is that Campbell has the same kind of mindset as Kirk in terms of ball control, good defense etc except that Iowa is just better at that style than ISU is. Brock is not Hall, their TEs are worse and I don't expect their OL to be great. Plus, Dekkar's first start true road start is in Kinnick against a very good defense. I would imagine they try to play pretty conservatively on offense.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
The series is a great thing for the state, but damn do I always dread this game. ISU could be a 30 point dog, and it will still be a close game. McDonald will probably have a decent game unless Iowa finds an OT. Dekker's looked decent in mop up duty, but the lost a lot at the skill positions.

The series is a great thing for the state, but damn do I always dread this game. ISU could be a 30 point dog, and it will still be a close game. McDonald will probably have a decent game unless Iowa finds an OT. Dekker's looked decent in mop up duty, but the lost a lot at the skill positions.
This is a bit of a misconception in the CY-Hawk series. When Iowa has been the superior team, it's typically taken care of business and won comfortably in this series. (2003, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2016).

When this game is close it usually indicates that Iowa just isn't very good or Iowa State has a pretty good team.

I expect Iowa to be far superior to Iowa State on paper this year and we're not going to be sweating things in the 4th qtr.

Last edited:
This is a bit of a misconception in the CY-Hawk series. When Iowa has been the superior team, it's typically taken care of business and won comfortably in this series. (2003, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2016).

When this game is close it usually indicates that Iowa just isn't very good or Iowa State has a pretty good team.

I expect Iowa to be far superior to Iowa State on paper this year and we're not going to be sweating things in the 4th qtr.
I would agree with you, but nothing "on paper" states we will be better on offense. They don't have Purdy back there throwing picks anymore.

Well played.

Seriously, the reaction will be sickening and over the top whenever ISU finally beats Iowa under Campbell. Hosannas will be lifted to the heavens to honor the best coach to ever walk the earth. Or maybe KF will never lost to Campbell in his career, but that seems unlikely.

It is quite amazing that Fleck and Campbell are a combined 0-12 or something similar against KF. The old stodgy no-nothing has dominated the hot hires in an incredible way.
Dont forget to include the messiah himself, Scott Frost, on this list. 0-16!

I would agree with you, but nothing "on paper" states we will be better on offense. They don't have Purdy back there throwing picks anymore.
I forgot to add 2013 in there as well.

That's a good point. I think Iowa will struggle again offensively, but pending another disaster on the OL injury wise, the offense should be a bit better.

The defense should be elite (top 5-10 in college football elite). Plus kick return/punt return should be great and Iowa has the best punter in college football.

I expect Iowa puts Dekkers in some bad spots and Iowa controls this game early. Maybe not a 45-0 like score, but I think something like a 28-10ish type score is a very realistic expectation for this game.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I expect Iowa puts Dekkers in some bad spots and Iowa controls this game early. Maybe not a 45-0 like score, but I think something like a 28-10ish type score is a very realistic expectation for this game.

ISU's had some really great running backs the last 6-7 years but they just cannot get a good running game going against Iowa's strong, very good technique defensive players. Even Iowa's cornerbacks have been great tacklers. Iowa has just showed that the ISU passing game is very average when they are in a lot of 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

I agree with you that ISU and their qb could be in a lot of tough 3rd down situations.

And I would take 28-10ish all the time against these guys especially in Ames as this isn't Fry's high powered teams going against some really trashy clown teams back in the 80's and 90's.

I think the game will be closer than last year but I do think Iowa will pull it off. It will be hard to replicate all the TOs from last year but I don't see them scoring much. I think the problem for ISU is that Campbell has the same kind of mindset as Kirk in terms of ball control, good defense etc except that Iowa is just better at that style than ISU is. Brock is not Hall, their TEs are worse and I don't expect their OL to be great. Plus, Dekkar's first start true road start is in Kinnick against a very good defense. I would imagine they try to play pretty conservatively on offense.
I think it's more Campbell's style to pull out the trickery against Iowa. KF doesn't use those types of plays often and never suspects them. Matt's had some success with them in the past and it may be their best shot to put points on the board against what looks to be a pretty formidable defense.

Trick plays are the only thing that would give the Fightin Campballs a chance.

28-10...the good guys.

This is a bit of a misconception in the CY-Hawk series. When Iowa has been the superior team, it's typically taken care of business and won comfortably in this series. (2003, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2016).

We will be doing the I O W A chant for the last 8 minutes of the game like the last time they came to Kinnick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT