ADVERTISEMENT

BigTens Big Dogs of The West Division

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
I think this is going to be a 2 horse race here between Iowa and Whisky... I don't think Northwestern is going to do much this year as when the goals are loftly the mildcats seem to bow down early.. besides for last year they haven't been that great over the last 5 years and a few dumpster seasons out of nowhere..

Wisconsin has been nothing but great as their record shows in the BTW division they have been to Indy too many times for me to not want to barf .. I just hope one of these seasons they take a bad nose dive AKA.. MSU last year as history tells you they will begin to have some down years as Iowa has and MSU.. I really compare Iowa, Wis and MSU as they're similar in a lot of ways.. obviously Wis has had the best run out of the 3 programs in the past 10 years but they haven't come close to the recent playoff game like how Iowa and MSU have (Iowa being a yard away from making it) and MSU has made it..

Not to rant and rave but I am.. has anyone recall Wisconsin being in the top 5 in the country the past 10 years? Or even #1 in the polls? I don't recall.. not that means a ton but a way of measuring a program I guess

Anyways- I think the Iowa-Wisconsin winner will claim the west and I like our chances at these cheese turds.. we have won something like 5/6 or 4/5 games on the road and I hope this year we can actually put a pasting on them.. but it will probably be a very close game as usual

Although I think Iowa will be a better team this year then last, I think the schedule will give Wisconsin the Big West title. For Iowa to win the West, not only are they going to have to beat the Badgers but either Penn State or Ohio State and no slip-ups. Can they do it , sure. I think they'll have to go through the conference season with only one loss, cuz the Badgers schedule is not near as tough this year.

W
Although I think Iowa will be a better team this year then last, I think the schedule will give Wisconsin the Big West title. For Iowa to win the West, not only are they going to have to beat the Badgers but either Penn State or Ohio State and no slip-ups. Can they do it , sure. I think they'll have to go through the conference season with only one loss, cuz the Badgers schedule is not near as tough this year.
Why Penn state or OSU? They're both in East. I think @ Wis & @ Neb for the west will be tough.

Reactions: Hwy6Hawk
WI plays MI after IA. There is no reason to think we can't win the west if we lose to OSU and PSU...though it will be tough if we lose any more.
Wiscy lost clement watt and more, so they're looking to fill at least as many holes as we are!

Reactions: Herkmeister
there's no reason to think we can't beat Ohio State.
our biggest game will be against Wisconsin...
our biggest challenge will be Penn State.
our biggest revenge will be against Michigan State.

2 losses could win either division... but keep in mind.
Iowa lost 3 games last season....
2 were to the two teams that played in the Championship game... the other being a shady game against Northwestern.

in other words.... we're not that far off from a perfect 9-0...
and we're not that far removed from the 8-0 we had in '15.

to me... I think too many people are writing off the Ohio State game as a loss.
I don't think its fair to the players on this year's team.
and quite frankly.. its a little disrespectful.

That and all of the other teams that give Iowa trouble are a**holes enough to never beat Wisconsin either (looking at you Nebraska, Northwestern and especially Minnesota).

2 were to the two teams that played in the Championship game... the other being a shady game against Northwestern.

Well we're beating Ohio State this year anyway. That's already been worked out.

Why, you the fan, may ask?......

Don't worry about it. :cool:

the way KF teams play against good teams/bad teams, I'm not writing off any game as a win or loss lol

The West has been/will be between Iowa & Wis for years to come. I don't see NW or Minn being a contender anytime soon.

As stated above, that's why winning the Wis game will be so important in the future. Winner of that game will almost always take the West.

This is a real opportunity for Iowa to become a "big dog" similar to what Wisconsin has been the last 6-7 years. Combine the rose bowl year with what we do the next 4 years we have a legit chance of being that team in the west. But Wisconsin is still that team, until knocked off, and I always feel Northwestern could be a wild card every year. Their offense can be gimmicky, high risk high reward, pair it with a good defense who knows. It's also be interesting to see Nebraska, post Tommy Armstrong. Minnesota is going to take 2-3 years to get it going. I feel a change of philosophy and culture will take a recruiting class or two. Illinois, I like Lovie from his Bear days, with that said I just don't believe in them. Same goes for Purdue. If Brian can get the offense going(hopefully this year but I'll settle for next year), the defense should continue to be a stength, the Hawkeyes have a legit chance to be that team.

Well we're beating Ohio State this year anyway. That's already been worked out.

Why, you the fan, may ask?......

Don't worry about it. :cool:

That would be fantastic. I've seen Iowa lose to Ohio State so many times, and in games they probably should have won. I was a kid at the time but I still remember that 1990 Rose Bowl season vividly. Iowa had that game won vs Ohio State that year. Every time Ohio State comes up, lol, I still think about that 1990 game.

Of course, then I try to remember the ass kicking we put on them at Kinnick in 2004. I was there and will never forget it. After being on the receiving end of those types of games so many times, you have to relish games like the 2004 Ohio State game. They don't come around too often.

As far as Iowa winning the West is concerned, I've always said Iowa typically does pretty well under Ferentz when 1) they aren't expected to do much 2) have an outstanding offensive line and 3) a solid defense. I do agree with those who say Wisconsin is the favorite, though. But, you never know.

I think this is going to be a 2 horse race here between Iowa and Whisky... I don't think Northwestern is going to do much this year as when the goals are loftly the mildcats seem to bow down early.. besides for last year they haven't been that great over the last 5 years and a few dumpster seasons out of nowhere..

Wisconsin has been nothing but great as their record shows in the BTW division they have been to Indy too many times for me to not want to barf .. I just hope one of these seasons they take a bad nose dive AKA.. MSU last year as history tells you they will begin to have some down years as Iowa has and MSU.. I really compare Iowa, Wis and MSU as they're similar in a lot of ways.. obviously Wis has had the best run out of the 3 programs in the past 10 years but they haven't come close to the recent playoff game like how Iowa and MSU have (Iowa being a yard away from making it) and MSU has made it..

Not to rant and rave but I am.. has anyone recall Wisconsin being in the top 5 in the country the past 10 years? Or even #1 in the polls? I don't recall.. not that means a ton but a way of measuring a program I guess

Anyways- I think the Iowa-Wisconsin winner will claim the west and I like our chances at these cheese turds.. we have won something like 5/6 or 4/5 games on the road and I hope this year we can actually put a pasting on them.. but it will probably be a very close game as usual
The Hawks are going to have to show they can move the ball and put points on the board against Wisconsin's 3-4. To date, they have not been able to do so. Now this year, they will see if from Nebraska as well. Throw in the fact that we are really unsettled at the QB position. BF & KOK have their work cut out for them.

Reactions: kcgolfer
wisky as the front runners.
Iowa in the mix with nw and nebby in the second group.

What of the rest?
Can illanoy improve?
Does minny fall back?
Does pu continue to be as PUtrid as they have been?

Reactions: kimaniismyffriend
I absolutely agree that all Iowa has to do is win all their Division games...
but I really think this is the year we beat Ohio State.

Ohio State ain't looked that impressive.... and Bourban ain't got it in him to continue having the suckcess he's had.

think about it... Ohio State has not won the East in the past 2 seasons...

but... in the West, I don't consider Northwestern a serious contender...
a potential disruptor for sure... but until they win a Division Title... they are right there with Illinois Purdue and Minnesota.

Wisconsin and Penn State are Iowa's 2 biggest contenders this season.

and... just a side note here... Mike Riley was never won a Big Ten Division Title.

Iowa just has to go 6-0 in the West, the cross division games don't matter as far as the title game is concerned.

Course let's win those too!

Sedge
Nope. It's overall conference record...unless there was rule change this year I am unaware of?

If Iowa goes 6-0 v the West, but 6-3 overall, and Wisconsin goes 7-2 overall, Wisconsin would represent the West in the B1G Championship game.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
I absolutely agree that all Iowa has to do is win all their Division games...
but I really think this is the year we beat Ohio State.

Ohio State ain't looked that impressive.... and Bourban ain't got it in him to continue having the suckcess he's had.

think about it... Ohio State has not won the East in the past 2 seasons...

but... in the West, I don't consider Northwestern a serious contender...
a potential disruptor for sure... but until they win a Division Title... they are right there with Illinois Purdue and Minnesota.

Wisconsin and Penn State are Iowa's 2 biggest contenders this season.

and... just a side note here... Mike Riley was never won a Big Ten Division Title.
You do realize Urban is 39-2 against the big 10? Like them or hate them, don't be delusional.

Ohio St=very accomplished senior QB with freak athletes all around. Iowa=new starter at QB. Yes, I know the QBs don't literally line up against each other. The Hawks will be underdogs in the tOSU game, and rightly so. Lots of "ifs" for the Hawks to keep it close. But they did manage to keep it close against Mich last year;)

You do realize Urban is 39-2 against the big 10? Like them or hate them, don't be delusional.
yah... I realize that... he's a cheat also...
remember the 2006 game against Florida when he paid off the refs?
I remember it.
not only that... its his 6th season... his 6th season at Florida was an absolute failure.... Bourban is gonna fail... whether you love him or hate him.

I remember it.
not only that... its his 6th season... his 6th season at Florida was an absolute failure.... Bourban is gonna fail... whether you love him or hate him.
Meyer was 8-5 that year. KF was 8-5 last year. Are you ok? Are you dangerous? Is anyone in your immediate circle in danger? Should I call 911?

I remember it.
Better get to Vegas. Last I saw OSU was +125 at the best odds to win the Big 10. Iowa was +2800 so plenty of money to be made on the Hawks.

overalll w-l is irrelevant... its all about winning the Division and competing for the Conference Championship.

but your man in Florida was ranked #3 in the nation going into his 6th season... and his team failed expectations.

the point I am making in all this is.... this is Bourban's 6th season at Ohio State... and again, his team has high expectations...

and therefore what I am saying... he's going to fail.
I know this hurts your butt an awful lot... but I don't like Bourban Meyer... I never have... and I don't like Ohio State... I never will..

the biggest problem I have with Ohio State in general is that they cheat... they get caught cheating... and they continue to cheat... and they continue to get caught cheating.

it must be because they have a lot of money... but regardless... they are what you might call a powerhouse program.

as for me... I've always been a big fan of the Underdog.
and the Iowa Hawkeyes are your classic case of the Underdog.

so when it comes to Iowa vs Ohio State...
I'm all in on the Iowa Hawkeyes.

your butt love for Ohio State has worked out well for you in the past... Ohio State has beaten Iowa a number of times.... I don't deny this.

however... its a new season.... and I have high hopes for my Iowa Hawkeyes... and I'm just warning folks about Ohio State.... I know ESPN and Johnsoda loves the Ohio State Buckeyes....

but I remember that Florida Iowa game when Bourban paid the refs... and they cheated... and they won... I haven't forgotten that.

those days of cheating and winning are coming to a close for Bourban and the Buckeyes... watch for it.

Better get to Vegas. Last I saw OSU was +125 at the best odds to win the Big 10. Iowa was +2800 so plenty of money to be made on the Hawks.
I have a very low opinion about people who gamble... and an even lower opinion of those who gamble on sports.

it is because of these people we saw Ronnie Harmon fumble 4 times in the first half of the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: nychawkeyes
New QB, new offense, 1 proven WR that's broke his foot twice. I just don't think the passing game has enough to help the running game out. Rarely does a team have success the first year installing a new offense. I'm going with 6-6. Sorry kool-aid drinkers!

overalll w-l is irrelevant... its all about winning the Division and competing for the Conference Championship.

but your man in Florida was ranked #3 in the nation going into his 6th season... and his team failed expectations.

the point I am making in all this is.... this is Bourban's 6th season at Ohio State... and again, his team has high expectations...

I know this hurts your butt an awful lot... but I don't like Bourban Meyer... I never have... and I don't like Ohio State... I never will..

the biggest problem I have with Ohio State in general is that they cheat... they get caught cheating... and they continue to cheat... and they continue to get caught cheating.

it must be because they have a lot of money... but regardless... they are what you might call a powerhouse program.

your butt love for Ohio State has worked out well for you in the past... Ohio State has beaten Iowa a number of times.... I don't deny this.

however... its a new season.... and I have high hopes for my Iowa Hawkeyes... and I'm just warning folks about Ohio State.... I know ESPN and Johnsoda loves the Ohio State Buckeyes....

but I remember that Florida Iowa game when Bourban paid the refs... and they cheated... and they won... I haven't forgotten that.

those days of cheating and winning are coming to a close for Bourban and the Buckeyes... watch for it.
I hear Dueling Banjos from Deliverance when you speak.

No love for Nebraska here, it is what it is. I would say that Wishy seems to be very overrrated, and I'll stick by that. It'll be, per preseason rankings, Wisky, and then Iowa/Northwestern/Nebraska (homer pick) for the west. I don't trust Northwestern one bit to be consistently good this year. Iowa, without a known QB, will be a unknown team. Just as Nebraska with a new QB and system will also be an unknown team. It's gonna be fun.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life

I hate Osu and thought refs were awful in the game vs Florida. But can you please show us the evidence the refs were paid off in that game or that he is cheating?

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT