ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Cosby faces new sexual assault lawsuit from five accusers

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Five women filed a lawsuit on Monday against NBC and Bill Cosby under a New York state law that temporarily suspends the statute of limitations for older sexual assault claims.

The women allege that Cosby either raped them or forced them into sexual acts. Four of the allegations date from the late 1980s or 1990, when the actor was at the height of his fame as the star of “The Cosby Show” on NBC. The fifth allegation involves Cindra Ladd, a former Hollywood executive who has accused Cosby of raping her in 1969.

One of the plaintiffs is Lili Bernard, an actress who guest starred on “The Cosby Show,” and who first came forward with her allegation at a press conference with Gloria Allred in 2015. Bernard filed a separate suit against Cosby in New Jersey in 2021.

Bernard also attended the civil trial in Santa Monica, Calif., in June 2022, at which a jury ordered Cosby to pay $500,000 to Judy Huth for sexually assaulting her when she was 16 years old, in 1975.

Bernard, Ladd, Eden Tirl, Jewel Gittens, and Jennifer Thompson filed the New York lawsuit under the Adult Survivors Act, which opens a one-year “lookback window” for accusers to file civil claims of sexual assault, regardless of the statute of limitations. The window opened on Nov. 24, six months after Gov. Kathy Hochul signed the law. Unlike similar statutes in New York and other states, the law applies to accusers who were adults at the time of the alleged assaults.

Cosby’s spokesman, Andrew Wyatt, called the lawsuit “frivolous” and said the five women were part of a “parade of accusers” who had come forward between 2014 and 2016.

“As we have always stated, and now America can see, this isn’t about justice for victims of alleged sexual assault, it’s ALL ABOUT MONEY,” Wyatt said. “We believe that the courts, as well as the court of public opinion, will follow the rules of law and relieve Mr. Cosby of these alleged accusations. Mr. Cosby continues to vehemently deny all allegations waged against him and looks forward to defending himself in court.”

Cosby, now 85, was convicted in Pennsylvania in April 2018 of a criminal sex assault charge. But in 2021, he was released after spending nearly three years in prison after the conviction was overturned by the state Supreme Court.

Reactions: h-hawk
Wasn't he let out because some DA promised him immunity for his testimony or something like that?

IDK how the lawyer can say what she did with a straight face.

Is it possible that any of these new accusers could put him back in prison?

I have mixed feelings on this. If Cosby assaulted women, he should be punished for that.

The other side of the coin is that he could be innocent, and how does a person possibly defend themselves against allegations of something that may have happened 50 or 40 or 30 years ago?

All the guys of HORT, how would you feel if someone you had a fling with in college came forth many years later and accused you of sexual assault?

I have mixed feelings on this. If Cosby assaulted women, he should be punished for that.

The other side of the coin is that he could be innocent, and how does a person possibly defend themselves against allegations of something that may have happened 50 or 40 or 30 years ago?

All the guys of HORT, how would you feel if someone you had a fling with in college came forth many years later and accused you of sexual assault?
Dude...Not even close.

It wasn't a single woman coming forward from 40 years ago. It was SIXTY women coming forward. 60 women who he drugged and raped, including a 16 year old. He is a convicted rapist. He is not innocent. I think you might want to read more about this.

You're comparing apples to bowling balls.

You can't be serious. Bill Cosby is a predator. He's a serial rapist and he should have never been released from prison. End of story.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Okay, so how many white celebrities from his era did the same thing?

I bet the Rat Pack was absolutely killing it.

Yes, I know the Rat Pack had a black guy in their posse.

He's a harmless old blind man today. No statue of limitations is BS.

Plenty of very old white criminals with a book of egregious crimes have walked away from prison. That doesn't mean I agree with Bill Cosby not being in prison, because he absolutely should be locked up. But, society is soft on very old criminals. Not very old black or white criminals, specifically. Just the very old.

Okay, so how many white celebrities from his era did the same thing?

I bet the Rat Pack was absolutely killing it.

Yes, I know the Rat Pack had a black guy in their posse.
Weinstein is currently in prison, so, I guess one, at least.
Which member of the Rat Pack do you think prosecutors should go after first?

Weinstein is currently in prison, so, I guess one, at least.
Which member of the Rat Pack do you think prosecutors should go after first?

Well, unfortunately for prosecutors and #MeToo victims, all the Rat Pack guys are dead.

Dude...Not even close.

It wasn't a single woman coming forward from 40 years ago. It was SIXTY women coming forward. 60 women who he drugged and raped, including a 16 year old. He is a convicted rapist. He is not innocent. I think you might want to read more about this.

You're comparing apples to bowling balls.
I think you need to understand my point. It isn't about Cosby, it's about the notion of being able to defend yourself decades after an alleged event.

ADVERTISEMENT