ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Maher dodged a potential cancelling of his career on Black Reparations!

strummingram

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2010
Good job, Bill!

Charlemagne Tha God is convinced that all black people just need a check so they are no longer feel oppressed. Bill does a great job of confronting him without being a candidate for cancellation. Why would "Tha God" need money? (I'm keeding)

The problem with a simple check is that you are treating it like money owed for labor performed. The problem is that there is no accurate way of determining that.

There is no accurate way of determining who should pay. . . I mean if none of my ancestor's owned slaves than why should I have to pay?

Than you get to the people being paid and it's impossible to tell who should be paid and how much. If you come from 10 generations of slaves do you get more money than someone who comes from 3? What if you are black and your ancestors were never slaves?

What if you are mixed race and you have both slave holder ancestors and enslaved ancestors???

The only way this works out is if people get checks simply for being black and then you still have the question of "how black" does one have to be to get a check?

The problem with a simple check is that you are treating it like money owed for labor performed. The problem is that there is no accurate way of determining that.

There is no accurate way of determining who should pay. . . I mean if none of my ancestor's owned slaves than why should I have to pay?

Than you get to the people being paid and it's impossible to tell who should be paid and how much. If you come from 10 generations of slaves do you get more money than someone who comes from 3? What if you are black and your ancestors were never slaves?

What if you are mixed race and you have both slave holder ancestors and enslaved ancestors???

The only way this works out is if people get checks simply for being black and then you still have the question of "how black" does one have to be to get a check?
Max Cady puts perspective on how "money" can never compensate for loss.

I’ve yet to hear a good argument for how money reparations alone will address the many barriers blacks face. It’s a bit like wiping out student loan debt—then what? Now, if it’s a small part of a more complete package to fix the problem, that’s a bit different. As the commentator said, reparations can come in different forms.

Prefer they just add more funds to organizations that help Blacks. More for education, small businesses, housing etc.

Prefer they just add more funds to organizations that help Blacks. More for education, small businesses, housing etc.
These programs should be targeted for all poor not one particular race. Breaking the cycle of no quality parents to emphasize education is the biggest problem. I am just talking about a high school education.

Good job, Bill!

Charlemagne Tha God is convinced that all black people just need a check so they are no longer feel oppressed. Bill does a great job of confronting him without being a candidate for cancellation. Why would "Tha God" need money? (I'm keeding)

I like the confused audience that claps like a Pavlovian response to any random stuff being said by a minority, regardless of how crazy it is.

Reactions: strummingram
In my opinion, the worst thing that could happen on the issue of black oppression is cutting everyone a check. A check does nothing to correct the systemic issues that will still be there after those checks are spent. Very few of the people receiving those checks will invest them and turn them into generational wealth type of money (and the ones that do probably already do that).

So, when people start saying that something needs to be done about the consequences of 500 years of oppression or whatever, the response from many will be, "You got your checks, quit complaining." I'd rather see programs that are designed to help deal with the consequences of system racism, not ust the check thing.

Reactions: srams21
I’ve yet to hear a good argument for how money reparations alone will address the many barriers blacks face. It’s a bit like wiping out student loan debt—then what? Now, if it’s a small part of a more complete package to fix the problem, that’s a bit different. As the commentator said, reparations can come in different forms.
I kind of liked what the guy was getting at in the Maher clip. Build infrastructure in neighborhoods which are predominantly black. Invest in THOSE schools. Fix their homes. Improve where they live. Invest in making these neighborhoods nice, and if they don't have to pay for rent/mortgages that would be a huge weight off of their backs. More money they can put back into the economy. Just typing off the top of my head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT