ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Phillips (Body For Life author) contracts COVID variant - lost 70 pounds.

JupiterHawk

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Jupiter, FL
He already had it back in January and thought he wouldn't need the vaccine. Spent 47 days in the hospital and dropped 70 pounds. I followed his program way back when and bought his EAS products. Really good guy from what I know - very very scary.

edit - worth noting:
Phillips had three family members get COVID-19 after getting vaccinated, including his 91-year-old stepfather. Unlike him, they had mild systems and were not hospitalized, said Maria Phillips, who has since gotten inoculated.

Former Broncos fitness and nutrition guru Bill Phillips’ message for Coloradans is to the point: Get vaccinated against COVID-19.

“If it could happen to me, it could happen to anybody,” said Phillips, who worked as the performance nutrition and supplementation expert for the Denver Broncos in the late 1990s during their Super Bowl championships and is the author of Body-for-LIFE.

“It’s not a political issue,” he added. “It’s a public health issue.”

A little more than two weeks ago, the 56-year-old was in a medically induced coma and hooked up to a ventilator to help him to breathe because of the coronavirus. He spent 47 days intubated and lost 70 pounds during his time at St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood.

Phillips said he chose not to get a COVID-19 vaccine because he had the virus before and thought the antibodies would be enough to protect him from reinfection.

“I did not get vaccinated because I made a mistake,” he said during an interview at the hospital. “I thought since I had COVID in January 2020, I was immune to it.”

He added, “That mistake came…close to costing my life.”

When Phillips was admitted to the hospital — which is operated by Centura Health — on June 25 he already had pneumonia. He was healthy and active before his second infection. Now, he’s had to relearn how to walk and other skills, said his wife, Maria Phillips.

Phillips expects to be discharged on Wednesday.

“It’s a misconception that you need to have pre-existing condition to get sick and die from COVID,” said Dr. Alex Benson, a critical care physician with St. Anthony’s Hospital, adding, “If you had (COVID) that doesn’t mean you are fully protected, and you should get vaccinated.”

Colorado is experiencing another wave in COVID-19 infections as the more transmissible delta variant spreads across the nation. The increase is not yet as bad as other states, but hospitalizations reached their third-highest point Monday since the crisis began with 734 patients. That’s up from 324 hospitalizations a month ago.

The state also reported 10,277 new cases last week, which is up 2,525 cases from the previous week, according to data from the state health department.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
2021-08-25-10-24-10.jpg

E9o-7-iX0AUS0Wh

Last edited:
Phillips story is kind of sketchy: he caught it in January of 2020? Ok, that’s believable (even though there were no tests then) but it doesn’t say when he tested positive for AB’s. Was it after he was admitted to the hospital two months ago?

As long as anecdotes are acceptable now I’ll just drop this here.

Phillips story is kind of sketchy: he caught it in January of 2020? Ok, that’s believable (even though there were no tests then) but it doesn’t say when he tested positive for AB’s. Was it after he was admitted to the hospital two months ago?

What is sketchy? Whether or not he actually had it back then, he wasn’t vaccinated and got it for sure in 2021.

Last edited:

shank hawk gonna shank hawk

Here is a news story with an interview with Bill and his wife. Incredibly sad and horrific. I hope he can get back to his prior level of fitness but you have to wonder about the damage to his lungs.

#AnecdotesForMeNotForThee

Eh?

What’s the anecdote?
The guy had COVID, he almost died.
What is your point about his story being sketchy? You don’t believe he had Covid in 2020? Ok, assume he didn’t - who cares?
You don’t believe he had Covid this summer?

Anyone who made claims last spring that they had caught the corona in late ‘19 or early ‘20 were dismissed as sketchy.

When it fits your agenda all of a sudden it’s the holy gospel.

Sketchy.

Anyone who made claims last spring that they had caught the corona in late ‘19 or early ‘20 were dismissed as sketchy.

Sketchy.
It's weird how over the last 18 months, we've learned things and our knowledge about Covid has advanced.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk

Sketchy.
Funny reading this from you…in this thread.

Shit, I had covid a few weeks ago and all I got was a snotty nose for a couple days. I want my weight loss!!!

Sketchy.

I assume he tested for antibodies like a lot of people who experienced COVID-like symptoms in early 2020.

From article:

Bill Phillips, 56, from Colorado, first caught Covid in January 2020, with a test showing that he had antibodies convincing him that he didn’t need the vaccine, according to 9News.

And if you are questioning motive/integrity:

Phillips has been honored by Paul Newman and by John F. Kennedy Jr. as one of America's most generous business leaders when EAS was honored in 1999 with a Newman's Own/George Award.[18][31]

The United States Junior Chamber of Commerce honored Phillips in January 2000 as one of the Ten Outstanding Young Americans.[18]

Phillips was also chosen to help carry the Olympic torch on its relay across the United States for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.[18]

Bill Phillips has donated over $5 million to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.[32] Over the past 20 years Bill Phillips has granted over 600 wishes to kids facing life-threatening medical conditions through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. All the proceeds that would have gone to Phillips from the sale of his book Body-for-LIFE were donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Phillips was awarded with The Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award in 1997.

On June 24, 2014, Bill Phillips was inducted into the Fitness Hall of Fame along with Jack LaLanne, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jillian Michaels.[33]

Conclusions: This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity. Individuals who were both previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 and given a single dose of the vaccine gained additional protection against the Delta variant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT