ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Snyder put the kibosh on Jim Leavitt

For some reason I don't believe the parting of Bill is going to be a pretty one.

I bet he sticks around to just before one of the next seasons start and leaves so Sean gets an interim crack at it.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
I usually don’t agree with HC’s naming their replacement. In Bill Snyder’s case I do. That place was beyond a shit storm when he got there. Similar to Alvarez at Wisconsin. Barry took over a shitstorm too and got it turned. Barry earned that right and Snyder has as well.

I usually don’t agree with HC’s naming their replacement. In Bill Snyder’s case I do. That place was beyond a shit storm when he got there. Similar to Alvarez at Wisconsin. Barry took over a shitstorm too and got it turned. Barry earned that right and Snyder has as well.

Disagree. Barry "earned his right" by taking the job that hires the next guy. Snyder is set to be "special assistant to the AD", but it will be the AD's role to hire. If Snyder wants that position he should go for it, not try and be a puppet-master using his legacy as the noose.

I say hire the best candidate ... If it's his son ... great ... if not ... hire someone with more qualifications ...

It appears Iowa will be following the same path in a few years with Kirk wanted to hand the wheel to Brian ... but just because Kirk has been here 20 years doesn't mean Brian should get the job "just because." Brian will have a lot to prove in the next few seasons if he wants to be a legit candidate ... As in the real world ... you want the best person for the job ...

I say hire the best candidate ... If it's his son ... great ... if not ... hire someone with more qualifications ...

It appears Iowa will be following the same path in a few years with Kirk wanted to hand the wheel to Brian ... but just because Kirk has been here 20 years doesn't mean Brian should get the job "just because." Brian will have a lot to prove in the next few seasons if he wants to be a legit candidate ... As in the real world ... you want the best person for the job ...

I really think this idea of Brian becoming the next head coach at Iowa is made up on internet forums. Unless Kirk is outright lying, he said in an interview that Brian's first head coaching job should not be at Iowa and he can't see it being at Iowa. He advised him to leave and get experience elsewhere, and if he then had the opportunity to come home he could take it. I don't think the timeline will work out for Kirk to continue coaching, Brian to become a successful O coordinator and take a head job elsewhere, and then turn around and come back to Iowa when Kirk retires. Brian might end up the head coach at Iowa, but I don't see him being the next head coach at Iowa.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
I really think this idea of Brian becoming the next head coach at Iowa is made up on internet forums. Unless Kirk is outright lying, he said in an interview that Brian's first head coaching job should not be at Iowa and he can't see it being at Iowa. He advised him to leave and get experience elsewhere, and if he then had the opportunity to come home he could take it. I don't think the timeline will work out for Kirk to continue coaching, Brian to become a successful O coordinator and take a head job elsewhere, and then turn around and come back to Iowa when Kirk retires. Brian might end up the head coach at Iowa, but I don't see him being the next head coach at Iowa.
Good point ... A lot, too, will ride on how long Kirk continues to coach ... Kirk is 62 years old ... Let's say he coaches 3 more years ... that really wouldn't give Brian much time to go out on his own ... I do think Brian moving to OC was a strong indicator he may be in line to be the next head coach ... or at least a strong candidate ... I doubt Kirk sticks around too much longer ...

It absolutely would not surprise me if after next season Brian takes a mid-major head job for a year maybe two and then Kirk retires and Brian applies for the Iowa job.

I think the real key will be the impact Brian has as a head coach in a short time. So it's probably really dependent on the kind of job that he actually takes and how those 2 short years go.

Lastly, I was a little bit surprised by the way Brian acted in the spring during interviews when asked about becoming a offensive coordinator. He said he hadn't really considered it before and hadn't necessarily had that on his long-range plans. That really caught me off-guard and was not the answer I was looking for. Most of the time these guys have that as their lifelong goal on the road to being a head coach. That's a bit concerning to me

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed in Snyder. It's not like he's leaving the family business to his son. Of course, I have no problem if he told the AD he thought his son was ready, but the school must make the decision.

Good point ... A lot, too, will ride on how long Kirk continues to coach ... Kirk is 62 years old ... Let's say he coaches 3 more years ... that really wouldn't give Brian much time to go out on his own ... I do think Brian moving to OC was a strong indicator he may be in line to be the next head coach ... or at least a strong candidate ... I doubt Kirk sticks around too much longer ...
If BF can produce a more consistent offense over the next few year and Iowa performs well on the field any logical fan would be fine with BF being our next coach. Now I am sure I will get replys with the anti Ferentz crowd but IMO they are generally illogical so there is that

If BF wants the job, he's going to have to improve by leaps and bounds to make hiring him as the next HC a slam dunk.

I agree that Brian needs to show alot more than what we have seen if he wants to keep his job let alone get a promotion. That being said I hope he crushes it. Brian isn't an "Iowa type" hire. He is loud, brash, aggressive and very focused on winning. He is NOT the type of guy that would get through the interview process if his last name was Smith and for that I hope he gets grandfathered in to change the dynamics of the program, again assuming the largest variable.. He shows he can successfully run an offense and win games without relying on the D. If Brian doesn't get it figured out, a very "Iowa like" hire would be Craig bohl. If KF rides into the sunset around 2020 and Bohl has not been scooped up by a p5 the BoR needs to throw the sink at Bohl.

Last edited:

Hardly an objective decision maker

Looking at Leavitt's history he's essentially the father of USF football and seemed to pretty consistent with getting them bowl eligible but obviously not taken them to greater heights. The fact that he was productive at a school that at best is the 4th best team within the state and probably the 10th or worse team at recruiting Florida his teams still won more then they lost. The fact he was part of the Colorado team from last year is a good sign as well. He may have actually been the right guy for the K State job as he has won in places where recruiting may be difficult. Who knows maybe he'd be a better fit at Missouri considering he played there.

It absolutely would not surprise me if after next season Brian takes a mid-major head job for a year maybe two and then Kirk retires and Brian applies for the Iowa job.

I think the real key will be the impact Brian has as a head coach in a short time. So it's probably really dependent on the kind of job that he actually takes and how those 2 short years go.
r

I say send him to ISU. If he can replicate what Campbell has done fine otherwise it is all b/c of his last name and our AD is a dolt.

If BF can produce a more consistent offense over the next few year and Iowa performs well on the field any logical fan would be fine with BF being our next coach. Now I am sure I will get replys with the anti Ferentz crowd but IMO they are generally illogical so there is that
I think Brian is going to be a very good coach. Has NFL experience, Bellichick experience and learned from his dad. The offense will be better the next couple years as the QB, WR's and O line have a year under there belts, and it seem apparent that Brian has more fire in his belly then dad.

Reactions: RogerKint
I agree he shouldn't be anointed just because....but disagree that he won't be as long as Barta is still the AD. Too many years with a very close personal relationship with Barta and donors. If/when the job opens, not sure we'll even be told who showed an interest in the job.

Agree and I would even go so far as to say he's earned it far more than Barry did (with all due respect). As you point out KSU was--as you accurately put it--a shitstorm and he turned it in to what it is now. They've expanded their stadium in a big way, twice thanks to Bill, have conference championships and even sniffed a chance at National a few years back.

Agree and I would even go so far as to say he's earned it far more than Barry did (with all due respect). As you point out KSU was--as you accurately put it--a shitstorm and he turned it in to what it is now. They've expanded their stadium in a big way, twice thanks to Bill, have conference championships and even sniffed a chance at National a few years back.

They owe a lot to Bill Snyder, but he shouldn't be allowed to burn down what he built. Sean Snyder is a special teams coach with an Associate Head Coach tag who has only worked at KSU. I'm guessing most other Power 5 schools would have little interest in him being on the staff, much less being head coach.

Back to the Wisconsin example, Beilema was an assistant coach at 3 different schools and worked for 4 different coaches. He was a successful DC who was probably going to have other head coaching opportunities. Plus, as others have mentioned, Alvarez was the AD at the time. Hiring the next coach was literally his job.

I know the pro-Ferentz crowd will be all over me for this (I don’t consider myself pro-Ferentz or anti-Ferentz.....I am pro-Iowa), but.......

I am firmly against Brian being given the head coaching job when Kirk retires. Take a look at all the sons who have taken over for their dad as head football coach, and tell me how often it has worked out.

Brian should not be handed the job because his name is Ferentz. That is beyond stupid. Now.....if Brian can pick up a few years as head coach at a mid major, show he can recruit and have success....by all means give him a shot.

But in spite of the “We’re just Iowa, no big name coach would ever come here” crowd, the Iowa football program is good enough that we should be able to hire someone who is a proven, successful head coach. We should NEVER hire a head coach who will have to learn on the job. That is a recipe for disaster.

I know the pro-Ferentz crowd will be all over me for this (I don’t consider myself pro-Ferentz or anti-Ferentz.....I am pro-Iowa), but.......

I am firmly against Brian being given the head coaching job when Kirk retires. Take a look at all the sons who have taken over for their dad as head football coach, and tell me how often it has worked out.

Brian should not be handed the job because his name is Ferentz. That is beyond stupid. Now.....if Brian can pick up a few years as head coach at a mid major, show he can recruit and have success....by all means give him a shot.

But in spite of the “We’re just Iowa, no big name coach would ever come here” crowd, the Iowa football program is good enough that we should be able to hire someone who is a proven, successful head coach. We should NEVER hire a head coach who will have to learn on the job. That is a recipe for disaster.
I agree with everything you said except I do support KF I my mine he has earn everything he has but BF reminds me of a spoil brat raise by a multi millionaire and has so much to learn on his own.JMO

I agree with everything you said except I do support KF I my mine he has earn everything he has but BF reminds me of a spoil brat raise by a multi millionaire and has so much to learn on his own.JMO
I don’t mean to imply I don’t support Kirk. I do. I want him to continue to do well. But if he starts putting together a string of losing seasons, he should go. The program itself is more important than any coach.

Don’t trust Snyder. He only looks out for himself. Trying to have his son step in after bringing in JL sums up what I️ have heard first hand from previous employees at KSU.

Vastly worse than Wisky pre-Alvarez. VASTLY.

I think Brian is going to be a very good coach. Has NFL experience, Bellichick experience and learned from his dad. The offense will be better the next couple years as the QB, WR's and O line have a year under there belts, and it seem apparent that Brian has more fire in his belly then dad.
Respectfully, can't say I agree. While its clear that Brian wears his emotions on his sleeve, (something he did not get from dad), I have never believed that KF doesn't have that fire. Just rarely puts in out in full view. Don't believe you could coach at this level, for this long, if you weren't extremely driven.

our AD is a dolt.

Yup. I hope Barta steps down before Captain Kirk. Iowa's got a better chance to get the best candidate possible for the head coaching gig with an AD with fresh eyes. Barta has a man-crush on the Ferentz family as evidenced by the ridiculous contract he gave Kirk after 2015. Ten year contract with a punitive buyout clause to a 60-year-old man who produced mostly mediocre or below average results in the five years prior to 2015? Dumb and blind are not good qualities for ADs--or anyone else, for that matter.

Lastly, I was a little bit surprised by the way Brian acted in the spring during interviews when asked about becoming a offensive coordinator. He said he hadn't really considered it before and hadn't necessarily had that on his long-range plans. That really caught me off-guard and was not the answer I was looking for. Most of the time these guys have that as their lifelong goal on the road to being a head coach. That's a bit concerning to me
I have a question- who is the last Ferentz assistant that left to take a higher position? Not a flame, I am genuinely curious.

I remember my first beer.

Could have sworn this was SUPPOSED to be about Bill Snyder?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT