ADVERTISEMENT

Bipartisan Safer Communities Act Revealed and Finalized (Vote in the Senate coming ASAP) — FIRST BIPARTISAN GUN LEGISLATION IN 30 YEARS

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

View the full thread (it’s 9 tweets) for the full breakdown

• Funds red flag laws for every state that allow courts to take guns away from people who are a danger to themselves
  • Closing the boyfriend loophole: if you assault your girlfriend or ex girlfriend, you lose your right to own a gun
  • For under 21 year old gun buyers: enhanced background checks including calling the local police department to see if kid is in mental crisis. This check has a 3-10 day cool off period for young people before they’re allowed to purchase the gun.
  • Banning straw purchases
  • Bill clarifies who needs to register as a federal firearms dealer to make sure every commercial gun seller is doing background checks
  • $11 billion investment in mental healthcare reform building nationwide mental clinics
  • $2 billion in community safety by funding community anti-violence programs in our cities, and school safety initiatives, by increasing funds for the existing bipartisan STOP School Violence program.

I feel like closing the boyfriend loop could be great if utilized properly. But that’s a big if.

I see we have some strong red-state Republicans supporting this move. I guess it's fair to expect California or Massachusetts Democrats to get on board with expanding oil exploration and increased penalties for criminals in the near future?

I see we have some strong red-state Republicans supporting this move. I guess it's fair to expect California or Massachusetts Democrats to get on board with expanding oil exploration and increased penalties for criminals in the near future?
Wtf are you talking about oil in the second post in this thread? Get a hint, and get lost. You don’t add anything meaningful.

Stay on topic or get out.

lol

What the fvck is the "boyfriend loophole"? Why do you lose your right to own a gun under such a specific situation? Assault on a male is ok, but not a female? If a female assualts her significant other is she losing her right to own a weapon? This seems like a ridiculous law to enforce unless there's more to it.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
What the fvck is the "boyfriend loophole"? Why do you lose your right to own a gun under such a specific situation? Assault on a male is ok, but not a female? If a female assualts her significant other is she losing her right to own a weapon? This seems like a ridiculous law to enforce unless there's more to it.

The "boyfriend loophole" deals with whether unmarried partners can have guns if they were found guilty of violence against a dating partner.

Federal law currently only bars people from purchasing a firearm if they are convicted of domestic violence while:

• Living with their partner
  • Married to their partner
  • Have a child with their partner
Democratic lawmakers have long sought to expand the law to extend that coverage to dating partners, convicted stalkers and any individual under a protective order. But as of now, it doesn't apply to other types of dating partners, hence the label "boyfriend loophole."
Here's what you need to know about the 'boyfriend loophole' holding up gun safety negotiations

The "boyfriend loophole" deals with whether unmarried partners can have guns if they were found guilty of violence against a dating partner.

Federal law currently only bars people from purchasing a firearm if they are convicted of domestic violence while:

• Living with their partner
  • Married to their partner
  • Have a child with their partner
Democratic lawmakers have long sought to expand the law to extend that coverage to dating partners, convicted stalkers and any individual under a protective order. But as of now, it doesn't apply to other types of dating partners, hence the label "boyfriend loophole."
Here's what you need to know about the 'boyfriend loophole' holding up gun safety negotiations
Thanks for explanation.

Reactions: ferentzin04
It will never be read
Joni Ernst gave it a trigger finger up. To me that means it’s watered down, but I will take this win.
There are a few hurdles left, but this was a big step.

Last edited:
I think it’s worth noting there is a study that says 40% of cops experience domestic violence. Even if you don’t buy that number I could very easily see it in the 20-40% range, who is going to enforce the boyfriend loop on them?

It will never be read
It’s already essentially passed in the senate. It has 64 votes and has cleared the filibuster threshold for debate. Once you’ve passed that, you technically only need 51 votes to become law, so even if the 14 Republicans supporting it now suddenly reverse themselves in the next couple days, Dems can still pass it themselves.

Reactions: lucas80
Looks like a lot of redundancy - straw purchases are already illegal, assaults of any sort should be reported to NICS, theres already an "intimate partner" qualifier on the 4473, and its already clear who is an FFL holder and they know to sell, they need to run a NICS checks.
More laws that will have no effect - its the american way i supposed.

ADVERTISEMENT