ADVERTISEMENT

Births in Iowa drop to lowest level in over 100 years

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

DES MOINES — Iowa couples delivered the fewest babies last year since the state began keeping track in 1915 — a disturbing decline brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic that also pushed deaths to a yearly high.
According to preliminary numbers issued by the state Department of Public Health, live births in 2020 totaled 36,054, marking only the third time in more than a century that the number of babies born in a single year fell below 37,000 — 36,790 in 1995 and 36,641 in 1997. Iowa’s high year for births was 66,123 in 1951.

The pandemic has had profound impacts on pregnancy and birth rates in Iowa. Live births in Iowa in 2020 totaled 36,054, marking only the third time in more than a century that the number of babies born in a single year fell below 37,000.
Dreamstime
“Iowa is following the national pattern, for sure,” said Susan Stewart, a professor of sociology and demographer at Iowa State University who studies family patterns. “Fertility has been in decline for decades, since the Baby Boom. The decline is not unexpected for demographers because we’ve been watching it.”

The downward fertility trend likely was exacerbated by the prolonged COVID-19 pandemic that stunted dating opportunities and saw couples delay wedding plans as well as face economic stress and future uncertainty in a volatile job market. Those factors may have influenced the timing and elements of family planning for Iowans in childbearing age ranges to wait or forgo having kids, Stewart noted, and countered expectations for a mini-baby boom during the months of sheltering at home.
Concerns over having a high-risk pregnancy, being in a hospital during the pandemic and issues related to COVID-19 vaccinations possibly also came into play, said Stewart. And societal advancements for women in the workplace, education and other roles also came into play — given it is difficult to manage outside commitments and family obligations with only limited incentives like subsidized day care and paid family leave, let alone having to temporarily provide children with their schooling and work from home due to the pandemic.

“The biggest issue is whether after COVID those couples will have the children that they would have had, or are they just going to forego children at all or not have the number of children that they had planned?” she said. “That’s hundreds of thousands of kids who would have been born who may not be born.”

Last decade’s recession caused a decline in the rates of births, marriages and divorces “but they never bounced back,” the ISU demographer noted, in part because children can be financially challenging. The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates the cost of raising a child born in 2015 until age 18 averages $233,610.

Iowa’s rate of live births per 1,000 population fell to 11.4 in 2020 compared with 11.9 for each of the previous two years, while deaths rose to 11.4 per 1,000 as well, compared with 9.8 in 2019 and 9.1 in 2015, according to preliminary state data.

The pandemic, which hit Iowa in March 2020, caused illnesses associated with the coronavirus to make COVID-19 the third-leading cause of death last year at 4,299, trailing only heart-related problems (7,441) and cancer illnesses (6,268) in a year that saw overall deaths to spike to 35,953 — topping 2019’s previous record by nearly 5,100.
Also, Iowa reported a record number of suicides with 549 in 2020, up from 487 the previous year — a development Stewart said was not surprising with so-called “deaths of despair” due to alcohol and drugs on the rise among adults and adolescents who could have only limited interaction with their peers as stress rose in the pandemic.

Despite that, Iowa’s overall population estimated at 3,163,561 last year grew by nearly 8,500, according to health agency preliminary data.

“At lot of that has to do with our international migration numbers being higher than we have seen over the past couple of decades. That has helped to offset any decreases in the birthrate,” said Gary Krob, who tracks U.S. census data as coordinator of the state library’s State Data Center. “The state of Iowa is not unique in this situation.”
State data also indicate Iowa’s 15,499 marriages in 2020 were the lowest since 1943, while the number of divorces were down for the first time since 2017 at 6,756 — which Stewart said also could have been influenced by the pandemic beyond just the normal expense in setting up a new household in a challenging housing market and disruptions besetting Iowa’s legal system.

The only “feel good” data in the state’s preliminary snapshot of vital statistics was the most-popular baby names, with Olivia topping the girls as the choice of 169 Iowa parents and Oliver for boys for the second straight year at 212.

This was certainly one of the goals of ZPG and the leftists when I was in college. I guess they've succeeded...

In the late 1960s ZPG became a prominent political movement in the U.S. and parts of Europe, with strong links to environmentalism and feminism. Yale University was a stronghold of the ZPG activists who believed "that a constantly increasing population is responsible for many of our problems: pollution, violence, loss of values and of individual privacy."[10] Founding fathers of the movement were Paul Ehrlich, author of The Population Bomb, Richard Bowers, a Connecticut lawyer, and Professor Charles Lee Remington.[11] Ehrlich stated: "The mother of the year should be a sterilized woman with two adopted children."

• Haha
Reactions: Chishawk1425
This was certainly one of the goals of ZPG and the leftists when I was in college. I guess they've succeeded...

In the late 1960s ZPG became a prominent political movement in the U.S. and parts of Europe, with strong links to environmentalism and feminism. Yale University was a stronghold of the ZPG activists who believed "that a constantly increasing population is responsible for many of our problems: pollution, violence, loss of values and of individual privacy."[10] Founding fathers of the movement were Paul Ehrlich, author of The Population Bomb, Richard Bowers, a Connecticut lawyer, and Professor Charles Lee Remington.[11] Ehrlich stated: "The mother of the year should be a sterilized woman with two adopted children."
Western countries have seen declining birth rates for quite a while. The future work force is going to require immigration in order to be able to handle our needs. Sure, automation and AI will handle many future tasks, but it likely will not wipe butts in nursing homes.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Doesn't bode well for the Ponzi scheme known as Social Security does it? Add a little Medicare for all in the and you're looking at the collapse of the US economic system...
Not if “Medicare for all” is appropriately funded though...and it will still be cheaper than most private options out there now...

" Appropriately funded " means what? Obviously more government subsidization to lower premiums below market prices. With ZPG there are more at the end of the line taking than beginning paying into the system...
I think letting folks die on the street is perhaps the solution James....phuque’m all...just keep cutting my taxes and services...and who needs drinking water...we can buy it from Kum N Go!

Pro birthers are now triggered because the womenfolk are just bypassing the womb completely and they haven’t put together an agenda to gain control of a womans choice to procreate.

would not be surprised if some righty lunatics look at the Handmaids Tale model of procreating as a viable means to populate

Last edited:
Wait for one of the MAGAtS to come one here and delcare

iW_xhCOCjqshpI9zmMbr9ZmY8wv0CAg-zB7UfHuVtFc.jpg

Reactions: cigaretteman
So you jumped from a discussion to your usual horseshit. Enjoy your Blue Danube Waltz. I think you need to be paying more taxes myself...
I do to...this next year I’m looking at a 5.4% rate on my Federal...although I got it on good authority I will get a 6.1% increase on my SS next year...The MediCare /Social Security answer is pretty simple...raise the contribution, lift the cap and see what happens. My MediCare is already higher than most for at least another 5 months (has been for the previous 1 1/2 years, too)... but looks like my fixed income and script and save lifestyle will get my MediCare fee back to normal next year...if I can just hang on. James..I gladly pay every friggin’ cent I legitimately owe Uncle Sam and Auntie Kim. But the tax code is just stupid...and you know it is, too.

The t
I do to...this next year I’m looking at a 5.4% rate on my Federal...although I got it on good authority I will get a 6.1% increase on my SS next year...The MediCare /Social Security answer is pretty simple...raise the contribution, lift the cap and see what happens. My MediCare is already higher than most for at least another 5 months (has been for the previous 1 1/2 years, too)... but looks like my fixed income and script and save lifestyle will get my MediCare fee back to normal next year...if I can just hang on. James..I gladly pay every friggin’ cent I legitimately owe Uncle Sam and Auntie Kim. But the tax code is just stupid...and you know it is, too.
The tax code is written by a bunch of piglets that have consumed too much crap and spewed more crap out to the world then they consumed.

Beyond stupid.

Billionaires flying to space paying no taxes and middle class families paying for the roads and utilities to provide for billionaires.

Is everything political these days?

Our adult children can’t leave Iowa fast enough after graduation. Wanna guess which demographic has the most live births?

raise the contribution, lift the cap and see what happens.
What happens is income redistribution. Some people will pay more in than they can ever get out. I know you're OK with this but just tell it like it is. " We are raising your taxes to pay for those who never saved for a rainy day. You will receive a fraction of what you paid in."

Is everything political these days?

Our adult children can’t leave Iowa fast enough after graduation. Wanna guess which demographic has the most live births?
It seems to be on this board is and ZPG was a legitimate entity in the late 60's. Iowa City West brought some of their disciples into school to spout their doctrine along with NOW, SDS and Black Panthers, Ed Mezvinsky and other leftist politicians. Check the ICW yearbook 1970 if you don't believe me...

What happens is income redistribution. Some people will pay more in than they can ever get out. I know you're OK with this but just tell it like it is. " We are raising your taxes to pay for those who never saved for a rainy day. You will receive a fraction of what you paid in."

It seems to be on this board is and ZPG was a legitimate entity in the late 60's. Iowa City West brought some of their disciples into school to spout their doctrine along with NOW, SDS and Black Panthers, Ed Mezvinsky and other leftist politicians. Check the ICW yearbook 1970 if you don't believe me...
We can never go back to the days of the work houses and debter prisons, James. You are ok with throwing folks out on the street and letting them rob, steal, maim and kill to get by day by day?
We are always gonna have those folks James....what is your solution? More prisons and more cops? What does your religion tell you the solution might be?
Your taxes need to be collected...I don’t care who the hell you are....the tax code allows a guy to finance a trip to outer space with “his money” he earned...and this same guy brags that he pays no income tax? Income is getting to easy to hide and manipulate from the IRS....maybe America Needs to look at a “wealth tax” that might be assessed say every 5-10 years from everyone. The details can be worked out...and maybe the truth needs to be told about the Republicans big lie regarding “ the death tax”?

We can never go back to the days of the work houses and debter prisons, James. You are ok with throwing folks out on the street and letting them rob, steal, maim and kill to get by day by day?
We are always gonna have those folks James....what is your solution? More prisons and more cops? What does your religion tell you the solution might be?
Your taxes need to be collected...I don’t care who the hell you are....the tax code allows a guy to finance a trip to outer space with “his money” he earned...and this same guy brags that he pays no income tax? Income is getting to easy to hide and manipulate from the IRS....maybe America Needs to look at a “wealth tax” that might be assessed say every 5-10 years from everyone. The details can be worked out...and maybe the truth needs to be told about the Republicans big lie regarding “ the death tax”?
Gave to the Catholic church for many years in addition to your church - the Federal Government.

The Catholic Church is more than a spiritual institution. Apparently using “the strategy of non-coercive power” (Deus Vult: The Geopolitics of the Catholic Church, 2010), the Church runs 5,500 hospitals, 18,000 clinics, 16,000 homes for the elderly and those with special needs, with 65 percent of them located in underdeveloped and developing countries.

Of course income tax law is shitty since the Democrats have controlled all 3 branches of government 4 times as much as Republicans since 1932, when most of the tax code has been enacted. Let's just do away with income tax and do a national sales tax at whatever % it takes to generate the 6 trillion dollars Joe's budget demands. Deal?

Gave to the Catholic church for many years in addition to your church - the Federal Government.

The Catholic Church is more than a spiritual institution. Apparently using “the strategy of non-coercive power” (Deus Vult: The Geopolitics of the Catholic Church, 2010), the Church runs 5,500 hospitals, 18,000 clinics, 16,000 homes for the elderly and those with special needs, with 65 percent of them located in underdeveloped and developing countries.

Of course income tax law is shitty since the Democrats have controlled all 3 branches of government 4 times as much as Republicans since 1932, when most of the tax code has been enacted. Let's just do away with income tax and do a national sales tax at whatever % it takes to generate the 6 trillion dollars Joe's budget demands. Deal?
No faster way to make the richer even richer than to do away with the income tax. A sales tax only system would crush the working class.

Reactions: billanole

It got shitty in 1984 with the stupid “ capital gains” rate...and especially since the turn of the century and the GOP “ tax cuts” for the rich. Don’t blame this shit legislation on Dems...this was the invention and design of the GOP. Yeah...a national sales tax...that’s fair...tax those poor bastards an in ordinate share of their income....I say what might be fair, is that every American making more than $200k be taxed a minimum of 10% of their income over that amount...No was out of it...and of course, you can always be taxed more based on your income.,But every person pays that % and no way out. You have a seat in the Ioway Legislature James? That’s what Repubbers want.....higher sales taxes and no personal income taxes...let the poor folks pay..the way it should be. We can also pass a special deduction for folks to but their bottled water.

No faster way to make the richer even richer than to do away with the income tax. A sales tax only system would crush the working class.
Well which is it? @joelbc1 says income tax allows the rich loopholes to avoid tax, that it is " stupid ". Sales tax is kind of " uncheatable" solving @joelbc1 s issue.

It got shitty in 1984 with the stupid “ capital gains” rate...and especially since the turn of the century and the GOP “ tax cuts” for the rich.
The Rs never controlled the House in any of Reagans years, you know. The Ds did, however have control of all three during Clinton, Obama and now Biden. I guess they could change this anytime they have the balls. Of course you're only talking about kicking around that 4.6% ( 39.6 down to 35%, back to 39.6% plus the 3.8% ACA back down to 37% plus 3,8% ) football back and forth between the 1990s and now. Don't forget the ACA added another 3.8% so the top rate sits at 40.8% now. Biden promised to raise the corporate taxes 20 fold to cover the new budget, so we'll see when that is implemented soon, I guess...

Well which is it? @joelbc1 says income tax allows the rich loopholes to avoid tax, that it is " stupid ". Sales tax is kind of " uncheatable" solving @joelbc1 s issue.

The Rs never controlled the House in any of Reagans years, you know. The Ds did, however have control of all three during Clinton, Obama and now Biden. I guess they could change this anytime they have the balls. Of course you're only talking about kicking around that 4.6% ( 39.6 down to 35%, back to 39.6% plus the 3.8% ACA back down to 37% plus 3,8% ) football back and forth between the 1990s and now. Don't forget the ACA added another 3.8% so the top rate sits at 40.8% now. Biden promised to raise the corporate taxes 20 fold to cover the new budget, so we'll see when that is implemented soon, I guess...
No offense, but your rebuttals suck.

No offense, but your rebuttals suck.
So your reply is that the Ds have not been in a position to change the tax code more often than the Rs, despite controlling both the legislative and executive branches for 42 years to 18 since the income tax was enacted in 1916. If this rebuttal sucks it's because you can't grasp reality. Just keep whining about shit like @joelbc1 while vacationing in Europe. Keep feeling sorry for the little guy from your 20K river cruise, phuking hypocrites that you are...

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
sorry Iowa but Im 48 and it was past time to get clipped. Some young buck will take my place eventually

So what you are saying is if we raise minimum wage we will have plenty of people to fill all the jobs in America? Or should we import some ready made from our southern neighbors?

Iowa will be taking in a few thousand more refugees in August. We need them. Our rural employers are dependent on them.

Last edited:

Everyone, including every business, needs to $$ based on income. Everyone. Sales tax is effective but it is regressive. Perhaps I would agree to a higher sales tax if there was a “wealth tax” attached to it, also. And there can be no exceptions to whose “wealth” is taxed...personal, business, corporate...and taxed at “current value” rates...Require this “tax” be paid every 5 years and stagger payments... and then if course....all estates are due for a final taxation upon one’s final check out. We can no longer allow the tax code to hide income.

I guess the wives in Iowa got a good look at their husbands during lockdown and decided they didn't want to do the nasty with them after all.

• Haha
Reactions: Huey Grey
I guess the wives in Iowa got a good look at their husbands during lockdown and decided they didn't want to do the nasty with them after all.
If you saw the size of many of these Iowans, you would understand that coitus as you may understand it, is not possible. Plus, coitus is difficult unless one puts down the turkey leg they are eating.

• Haha
Reactions: NoleATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT