ADVERTISEMENT

Bison Gores a Woman Who Approached in Yellowstone National Park

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A woman who approached a bison at Yellowstone National Park was gored by the animal on Monday, according to park officials.
The woman, who was not named, suffered a puncture wound and other injuries and was taken to the Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center. Her condition was not released and it was unclear whether she had survived. Park officials did not immediately respond to requests for more details on Wednesday, and a representative for the medical center said it did not have additional information to provide.
Park officials said in a news release on Tuesday that this was the first reported episode in 2022 involving a park visitor “threatening a bison” and that the animal responded by goring the person.
The incident began on Monday when a bison walked near a boardwalk at Black Sand Basin, about two miles northwest of Old Faithful, and the woman, described as 25 and from Ohio, approached it. She came within 10 feet of the animal, and two other people were within 25 yards of it, park officials said.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

The bison gored the woman and tossed her 10 feet into the air, officials said, adding that they were still investigating what happened.
Park officials repeated warnings that animals should be given a wide berth, an advisory they frequently issue about bison, bears and wolves.
“Wildlife in Yellowstone National Park are wild and can be dangerous when approached,” the park said. “When an animal is near a campsite, trail, boardwalk, parking lot, or in a developed area, give it space.”
Yellowstone recommends that visitors stay more than 25 yards away from large animals, including bison, elk, bighorn sheep and deer and at least 100 yards from bears and wolves.
Bison, which can stand six feet tall, weigh more than 2,000 pounds and run three times faster than a person, have injured more people in Yellowstone than any other animal, the park said.

In recent years, a series of people have been seriously injured by bison and other animals in and around Yellowstone.
In an incident captured on video in 2019, a bison charged and head-butted a 9-year-old girl as she tried to run away. The following year, a woman who approached a bison was knocked to the ground and injured by the animal. Last April, a backcountry guide who was fishing near the park was fatally attacked by a large grizzly bear that officials said may have been protecting a food source.
And several months later a woman was sentenced to four days in jail and barred for a year from the park for not moving out of the way of a grizzly bear and its cubs.
Bison have become subject to debate around Yellowstone out of concerns that they were overgrazing. There were more than 5,000 bison roaming the park last year, and wildlife officials and tribal entities agreed in December that as many as 900 bison from the park would be slaughtered, shot by hunters or placed in quarantine at the service’s Stephens Creek Capture Facility.

Last edited:
Granola, MAGA, or just plain stupid?

Post is worthless w/o video.

EDIT: I'm going with "granola". Grove City, OH seems to be a heavily Blue county.

Last edited:
If I stab a woman to death for getting too close to me, I’m an ‘asshole’ and I have to go to jail.

A bison does the exact same thing and the government makes excuses for him and warns people to stay away from him and respect his space.
bullshit-see-now-thats-some-bullshit.gif

I wonder how many others besides me have been to Yellowstone and have NOT seen the warnings about all wildlife - but especially the bison?
It’s hard to muster one ounce of sympathy for those who insist on getting near a 2000 pound wild animal like a bison and not know what might happen.

If I stab a woman to death for getting too close to me, I’m an ‘asshole’ and I have to go to jail.

A bison does the exact same thing and the government makes excuses for him and warns people to stay away from him and respect his space.

So tell me you don’t know the difference here. 🙄🤔

Bison be fightin' back, yo...

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
We were just in Yellowstone last week and stopped by a bison grazing alongside the road. My wife could have reached out and touched it due to it's proximity to the road. She did open the window as we were a little past it and took a head on photo.

Reactions: goldmom
We were just in Yellowstone last week and stopped by a bison grazing alongside the road. My wife could have reached out and touched it due to it's proximity to the road. She did open the window as we were a little past it and took a head on photo.
I did something similar when we pulled into the parking lot overlooking Yellowstone Lake. Big guy walked up off the shoreline and stopped about two parking spaces away. I didn’t say a word just lowered the window and took a picture. Then we backed out and drove off. I would never have gotten out of the car though.

What do you do to a bison? Put him in jail (aka - a zoo)?

What do you do to a bison? Put him in jail (aka - a zoo)?
The ranger at Custer state park said when the herd gets too large, they sell off a few. So, I assume the bison in question might end up as bison burger.

The ranger at Custer state park said when the herd gets too large, they sell off a few. So, I assume the bison in question might end up as bison burger.
It's unlikely. Unless the animal was acting in an unusually aggressive manner they probably won't cull it. It was just being a bison. Tourist just effed around and found out. Sad but not uncommon.

pic of Bison goring a Carr…
bison.jpeg
I knew Bison Dele had a screw loose before he changed his name and was Brian Williams on the Magic. Was always making weird faces and noises after fouls and even just sitting by himself on the bench. Then I saw the news and the Dateline special after he went missing. WTF.

You’re disappointed that you don’t get to watch a woman being gored to death?
She didn't die on the scene. So, technically, it's watching someone being an idiot and severely injured on-scene.

Well yeah but you're an asshole who should go to jail on general principle whether you stab a woman or not.

ADVERTISEMENT