ADVERTISEMENT

Bizarre coaches in 1987

CleteyColgate

HR Heisman
Nov 12, 2012
Iowa should have been playing in this game against Indiana in 1987, but my goodness can you think of two weirder coaches than Tark and Knight? One is sucking a towel and the other can't pull his sweater down over his belly button or stop pacing like a loon while ready to erupt at any moment.

Had Iowa not choked away a 16 point halftime lead they would have played IU.
No ifs, ands, or buts, they completely blew it so your premise makes no sense whatsoever.

Had Iowa not choked away a 16 point halftime lead they would have played IU.
No ifs, ands, or buts, they completely blew it so your premise makes no sense whatsoever.
giphy.gif

Iowa should have been playing in this game against Indiana in 1987, but my goodness can you think of two weirder coaches than Tark and Knight? One is sucking a towel and the other can't pull his sweater down over his belly button or stop pacing like a loon while ready to erupt at any moment.

You posting this gave me the laugh I needed today. When Tark was king, I was young enough that when I saw him sucking a towel, I thought, "That's weird...whatever." But now that I look back it's super weird. I did some googling on the interwebs and found an article where he claimed he did it out of superstition. It started because once as a high school coach he got tired of walking to a drinking fountain, and instead soaked a towel to suck on. Perhaps his part of the country hadn't been introduced to cups at that point...

Reactions: dirt33
ADVERTISEMENT