ADVERTISEMENT

Black anthem to be played before National anthem in week one of NFL.

Herky5

Scout Team
Jul 26, 2018
We are the land of the free, so this is okay. This is not happing at Iowa football games yet, but could be soon. I enjoy being at all home games, and one away game each year. I think we would be better off playing the pledge of allegiance before games. One Nation Under God! We are not entitled to anything, and we only learn by understanding through our own failures. Here is my question... I need to know if I am supposed to kneel or have my hand over heart? Just trying to understand.

We are the land of the free, so this is okay. This is not happing at Iowa football games yet, but could be soon. I enjoy being at all home games, and one away game each year. I think we would be better off playing the pledge of allegiance before games. One Nation Under God! We are not entitled to anything, and we only learn by understanding through our own failures. Here is my question... I need to know if I am supposed to kneel or have my hand over heart? Just trying to understand.
How old are you?

What is the Black Anthem?

I always loved this. Separating church and state by just one word.

Not terrible. I believe Nelson Mandela implemented a similar tactic upon becoming South African president, in an effort to unite majority blacks and minority whites. My only qualm with this is both should be stood for and respected. If efforts are made to include the Black anthem, all should stand for it as they do the Canadian anthem when played at sporting events involving those teams. In return, all should stand for the traditional U.S. Anthem. If not, it seems like it could dramatically backfire and divide people more than ever. Maybe it's time to also consider Ray Charles' rendition of America the Beautiful as a new national anthem, because it still remains the most inspiring patriotic song I've ever heard.

Reactions: TS568
Not terrible. I believe Nelson Mandela implemented a similar tactic upon becoming South African president, in an effort to unite majority blacks and minority whites. My only qualm with this is both should be stood for and respected. If efforts are made to include the Black anthem, all should stand for it as they do the Canadian anthem when played at sporting events involving those teams. In return, all should stand for the traditional U.S. Anthem. If not, it seems like it could dramatically backfire and divide people more than ever. Maybe it's time to also consider Ray Charles' rendition of America the Beautiful as a new national anthem, because it still remains the most inspiring patriotic song I've ever heard.
A little long, lots of words but it ok.

Not terrible. I believe Nelson Mandela implemented a similar tactic upon becoming South African president...
South Africa is a different situation. In South Africa, there's blacks and whites. That's pretty much it. In the US, what about Hispanics, Asians, American Indians, etc. We're a melting pot of many races/ethnicities. I don't much like the idea of an anthem for Blacks only and then one for the rest of us. It feels divisive to me. But I'm a middle aged white guy, so what do I know?

South Africa is a different situation. In South Africa, there's blacks and whites. That's pretty much it. In the US, what about Hispanics, Asians, American Indians, etc. We're a melting pot of many races/ethnicities. I don't much like the idea of an anthem for Blacks only and then one for the rest of us. It feels divisive to me. But I'm a middle aged white guy, so what do I know?

Not exactly. There's many different types of 'black' in South Africa - Xhosa, Zulu, Swazi, and quite a few other different ethnicities. That's not even counting "coloured", which is what Americans call "biracial". Finally, there's quite a few South Asians in South Africa (even Gandhi spent some time in South Africa).

Come on now! Maybe once.

It’s for one week. They aren’t planning on recognizing this week after week. I agree that long term this promotes segregation. It could be unifying in sentimentality for a week if both anthems are honored by standing in silence or singing along while performed.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
I can’t get behind this at all and it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with observing a non-unifying anthem. This is so similar to the discussion on taking a deeper look at how we can make all lives, including black lives, better but we were told no it can only be black lives matter. Now it’s about a black only anthem with no regards to white, hispanic, Asian, Native American and anyone else. How is that going to bring greater equality &’inclusion to this country which is supposedly what the black community is protesting for? It does not seem to line up with truly making things better for all.

Although I may still disagree, I could at least respect a call for a new anthem for today that is unifying and everyone can get behind. That would make a lot more sense from a societal change movement standpoint than a black only anthem.

I can’t get behind this at all and it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with observing a non-unifying anthem. This is so similar to the discussion on taking a deeper look at how we can make all lives, including black lives, better but we were told no it can only be black lives matter. Now it’s about a black only anthem with no regards to white, hispanic, Asian, Native American and anyone else. How is that going to bring greater equality &’inclusion to this country which is supposedly what the black community is protesting for? It does not seem to line up with truly making things better for all.

Although I may still disagree, I could at least respect a call for a new anthem for today that is unifying and everyone can get behind. That would make a lot more sense from a societal change movement standpoint than a black only anthem.
Have you noticed more and more people seeming to think "minority" and black are interchangable like they're America's only minority?

You should send a tweet to Steve Deace

Don’t do twitter, you are more than welcome to.

Sounds like you're a smart person. Nothing good on those brain cell destroying platforms. Recent local high school poll claimed over 80% of teenagers are blaming social media for depression. However they can't give it up or they will become uninformed and communication cutoff with their peers. So glad I grew up in a different time.

This exactly. This goes to the very core of the real problem. The National anthem is for ALL AMERICANS, of every color. Its not the white guys national anthem. Needing a special anthem for blacks is not equality, its by its very definition racism. Isn't that what we're trying to get rid of?

Agree 100% And1, this will do nothing but drive a greater wedge between the races...

And just like that, Hispanics no longer matter. Anyone with an ounce of logic can see this is a horrible idea with more feelings of division created.
Who cares about Hispanics and especially Mexicans.

it's not like we went around murdering them and stealing their land or anything like that.....

It's not like some of our most valuable land was stolen from them or anything!

Reactions: hawkosx
In my (unpopular) opinion, we should go back to playing no anthem at all. It should be reserved for military events, military holidays, and international competition. I don't know why patriotism can only be proven via repeating the anthem thousands of times in your life at ballgames. Should we do it at halftime too? Maybe mealtime prayers should be extended to grocery shopping.

I guess the George Carlin in me is just a bit weirded out by it. I've always stood, I'm registered for the draft in case we're attacked, but I forgot to take off my hat once and some guy behind me pestered me about it like I just killed his dog.

We can't start acting like we are more than one country or we have lost all we have striven for for all these years.

This exactly. This goes to the very core of the real problem. The National anthem is for ALL AMERICANS, of every color. Its not the white guys national anthem. Needing a special anthem for blacks is not equality, its by its very definition racism. Isn't that what we're trying to get rid of?
I would go a step further and call a separate anthem for a specific race as "tribalism"

it's not like we went around murdering them and stealing their land or anything like that.....

How do you think most countries were formed? By taking lands from other people.

“Stolen from them”

How did they gain control of said lands? This is common woke nonsense that needs to be debunked. Natives murdered and terrorized and “stole land” from each other long before “evil” Europeans came. Then many owned slaves after that.

Are we changing the name of Washington’s NFL franchise because the name is racist or because many Native Americans owned slaves as well? I can’t keep track anymore. Hopefully someone creates a Woke app soon to help keep track of the Up to the minute Leftist Standings on which groups are evil because of their DNA and which aren’t, I’m having trouble keeping track.

Reactions: Pete in LA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT