ADVERTISEMENT

Black baseball player from Charles City gets racist taunts from Waverly fans

"After the inning, Chapman told his coaches what happened, and they told the umpire. Then, on his way out to the field for the next inning, Chapman said the umpire said to let him know if any more fans made racist comments and that, if they did, he would kick them out of the game. Chapman didn't hear any more racist comments."

A good umpire.

"After the inning, Chapman told his coaches what happened, and they told the umpire. Then, on his way out to the field for the next inning, Chapman said the umpire said to let him know if any more fans made racist comments and that, if they did, he would kick them out of the game. Chapman didn't hear any more racist comments."

A good umpire.
what a bunch of idiots

Dang. Makes me sad to read that.
Feels like society is regressing quickly. Poor kid.

“At first, he didn't want to go back out to center field. And, on the way home from the game, Chapman, who plays baseball, basketball, football and track for Charles City, told his mom he didn't know if he wanted to keep playing baseball.

"At the time, I just didn’t because I just didn't know why that stuff was said," Chapman said. "I’m a nice kid. I’m not a troublemaker. I keep my grades up. ... I don’t do anything wrong. So that’s what made me really hurt about it.

"I’m a 17-year-old kid just trying to play baseball."

You'd think others in the stands would tell them to STFU....but apparently no one else was bothered by it.
It sounds like it was coming from beyond the outfield fence. Likely no stands in that area, maybe just a few people in lawn chairs or sitting on blankets isolated from most of the fans.

Anyone who heckles high schoolers should be punched in the face. Heckling in a deserves to die.

Who sits in the outfield at a hs baseball game? Cheap bastards.
Yes they need to be punched in the face. But first social distancing. Also I went to a game this year and had a better view there. I paid the 5 bucks.

Dang. Makes me sad to read that.
Feels like society is regressing quickly. Poor kid.

“At first, he didn't want to go back out to center field. And, on the way home from the game, Chapman, who plays baseball, basketball, football and track for Charles City, told his mom he didn't know if he wanted to keep playing baseball.

"At the time, I just didn’t because I just didn't know why that stuff was said," Chapman said. "I’m a nice kid. I’m not a troublemaker. I keep my grades up. ... I don’t do anything wrong. So that’s what made me really hurt about it.

"I’m a 17-year-old kid just trying to play baseball."

I was always proud for what I perceived to be in Iowa being a relatively non racist state. I was a kid in a small Iowa city in the 80s and don’t ever recall seeing or hearing anybody - kids or adults - acting racist. Seems Iowa (and much of the US) has gone backward in this respect. Or maybe I was just naive. Probably both.

I was always proud for what I perceived to be in Iowa being a relatively non racist state. I was a kid in a small Iowa city in the 80s and don’t ever recall seeing or hearing anybody - kids or adults - acting racist. Seems Iowa (and much of the US) has gone backward in this respect. Or maybe I was just naive. Probably both.

It’s underground and around the corner.

Reactions: ArmyHawk1
Thread title is misleading...might have been 1 fan after reading the article.

Still F’d up....

You'd think others in the stands would tell them to STFU....but apparently no one else was bothered by it.

The racists were beyond the outfield fence. There aren't stands out there in high school baseball. A group of people can say whatever they want to a particular outfielder and not be heard by anyone else. I know it, because I lived it at North Scott.

I have felt the same way lately. There are racists coming out of the woodwork, not just in these situations but also on social media.

The racists were beyond the outfield fence. There aren't stands out there in high school baseball. A group of people can say whatever they want to a particular outfielder and not be heard by anyone else. I know it, because I lived it at North Scott.

Yeah I've heard it from both sides of the fence. Most of it is about someone's lack of baseball skills or how hot someone's sister is. Fortunately never heard anything like this but with our current president a lot more of this seems to be happening.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Yeah I've heard it from both sides of the fence. Most of it is about someone's lack of baseball skills or how hot someone's sister is. Fortunately never heard anything like this but with our current president a lot more of this seems to be happening.
JFC. I promise the idiot in the office has nothing to do with these punks saying that hateful shit. It certainly is getting reported more in the media though because of what’s going on.

There is nothing a person can say except, I am sorry. However, this youngster has to put some perspective to this incident. It isn’t the end of the world. It’s an idiot proving beyond a doubt he is an idiot. Idiots live everywhere, not just Waverly, Iowa.

A friend of mine once related a story to me that happened in his hometown years ago. My buddy was to play in the state All Star HS Football game in Birmingham, Alabama. He was black and it was about 1967...and one other black kid was playing in the game...and they were the first two blacks to ever play in the game. My buddy was wondering thru The Iron Bowl looking for his locker room, when he was approached by a Security Guard, who questioned what he was doing there. My buddy told him he was looking for the players locker room, and the Security ace told him....”N———-s don’t play in the Iron Bowl.” My buddy answered the Guard and said,“ We’ll, this n——— does.” The Guard called for “back-up” and finally my buddy’s coaches showed up and took him to his locker room.
Even though this was 50 yrs. ago and in Alabama, this stuff happens to this very day. And it happens in Birmingham, Alabama, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and even Waverly, Iowa. I wish it didn’t..but it does. I wish the kid from Charles City nothing but the best...and remind him that in America, he is gonna have to be a little bit better. It is not fair, granted but unfortunately, life is not fair.

You think honestly, it is ever gonna change, pinehawk? America is country full of great and wonderful people and a handful a racist motherphuquers.

Maybe when people with attitudes like yours die off it will.
Won’t get better by telling minorities to ‘try harder’.
That’s where you go? Instead of ‘let’s fight racism’?

Maybe when people with attitudes like yours die off it will.
Won’t get better by telling minorities to ‘try harder’.
That’s where you go? Instead of ‘let’s fight racism’?
Maybe.but if there were more folks like me, there would be no racism, either. I can control me and that’s it. I look around and this is what I have seen for 70+ years. Life has gotten better for most of us....but it is far from perfect. I would tell a minority to “ try harder” only because I am trying harder every day, too. But I cannot change what others say, think and do. Neither can you, Pinehawk. I think you need to re-read what I wrote and not let your knee jerk, but think about what I said.

No, that’s a terrible attitude. You can absolutely affect others besides yourself. By speaking up, acting up and holding others accountable. Your passive, accepting outlook is part of why this kind of thing still happens.

No, I had the same experience as a kid in the '80s and '90s. Racism wasn't cool back then, at least in the community I was from. I hardly ever heard the n-word as a kid. It was not tolerated.

To an extent, I do think Iowa has gotten trashier. It's sad. I used to be proud of Iowa. Thought it was the most unique state in America for being so welcoming of others despite being predominantly white.

I still believe there are a lot of good people in Iowa, but it has definitely declined since my youth. I don't blame every Trump supporter, not all are bad, but I do blame Trump for the evil he has inspired.

On second thought, I'm glad Trump inspired the MAGAts out of the darkness and into the light. May God's perfect judgment fall on them.

No, that’s a terrible attitude. You can absolutely affect others besides yourself. By speaking up, acting up and holding others accountable. Your passive, accepting outlook is part of why this kind of thing still happens.

I’m 71 phuquing years old...I have done my advocating and obviously, in your eyes, I have failed. My goal is no longer to save the world. I just wanna cut down on the number of putts in a round of golf. I’m telling you what I have lived and seen....it’s better than it used to be but it will never be what it should be or never be what you think it should be. People being people, just won’t allow it to happen. My “ passive, accepting attitude” is a reflection of my upbringing and my manners. I firmly believe people should make up their own minds. That’s the beauty of ‘Merica! Let them figure it out for themselves. They don’t me telling them what the hell to do or think. I’m just an old liberal, looking for a putting stroke.

You think honestly, it is ever gonna change, pinehawk? America is country full of great and wonderful people and a handful a racist motherphuquers.

You claim nothing can be done while at the same time claiming it’s only a handful of racist people in America. Those don’t jive for me.

Reactions: Raglefant
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT