ADVERTISEMENT

Black baseball player from Charles City gets racist taunts from Waverly fans

Nothing can be done. You may get laws to change...but not hearts...its as old as mankind. If anything, people will dig in more. The shaming of people will not help.

As was stated by another poster... even though it may have been only 1-2 people guilty... people are emboldened by this President.

Welcome to Trump's Merica.

Reactions: Raglefant
Nothing racist ever happened before trump and everything racist going forward will be because of Trump.

learn something everyday.

yesterday we learned every single non mask wearing person is a trump supporter. Including all college kids.

Also learned on HROT every person with an SUV, big house, boat owner, cruise take is also a trump supporter because they obviously don’t care about environment.

Then, Chapman said, the fans shouted, "Trump 2020!"

All Trump supporters are not blatant racists. But, if you support Trump, you need to ask yourself what is it about Trump and his policies that cause racists to support him in droves like they did Duke, Wallace, etc... Then ask yourself, if you support those polices are you actually a racist.

Nothing racist ever happened before trump and everything racist going forward will be because of Trump.

learn something everyday.

yesterday we learned every single non mask wearing person is a trump supporter. Including all college kids.

Also learned on HROT every person with an SUV, big house, boat owner, cruise take is also a trump supporter because they obviously don’t care about environment.
2baalk.jpg

If my 17 year old self had been in this kid's position, I'm pretty sure after my inning of defense in CF, I'd have returned to the dugout, grabbed my favorite 42 oz. bat and calmly walked over to the racist scumbag fans and asked them to repeat their comments, before quickly clubbing each of them like baby seals.

They needed to out the person or people so everyone knows who said the racist remarks.

I forget who said it or where I read it but I like this comment: "It is time to no longer be anti-racism; it is time to be anti-racist." If you feel like it is appropriate to yell at a high school kid during a public high school baseball game something to the effect of "go back to the fields" or "you wouldn't even be here except for George Floyd," you should expect to find yourself subject to public scrutiny.

I was always proud for what I perceived to be in Iowa being a relatively non racist state. I was a kid in a small Iowa city in the 80s and don’t ever recall seeing or hearing anybody - kids or adults - acting racist. Seems Iowa (and much of the US) has gone backward in this respect. Or maybe I was just naive. Probably both.

I grew up in a small rural northeast Iowa town about 25 miles from Dubuque (high school class of '86). The n-word was spoken with great frequency by many making reference to African-Americans.

They yelled Trump 2020. Hard to claim he has nothing to do with it.
So you don't think they would have said anything if Trump wasn't in office (assuming it was a he)? I'm not claiming they aren't Trump supporters, I just find it hard to believe they haven't been racist pukes their whole lives. Trump is a worthless human being but to think these people from rural Iowa feel more comfortable to yell out racist comments in public because he is President is joke. I understand it makes the Left's sticker peck out thinking Trump has that much pull; but, I can't believe you actually think that?

Last edited:
I agree with Joel. There are a-holes in all forms that everyone encounters in life. It is an important skill to learn how to deal with them effectively.

About two weeks ago after visiting a customer I was threatened in downtown Atlanta by an AA guy with an empty wine bottle. He called me white boy, made disparaging remarks about the fact that I was wearing a suit and not so politely encouraged me to GTFO. I took his advice.

This encounter was not news nor should it have been. It was one person being an a-hole. Telling someone to “get over it” shouldn't be seen as condoning ugly behavior, but it is good advice for developing a mind that can deal with all kinds of adversity, racist or otherwise.

I wish I had your skill to know what strangers are thinking from a newspaper article.
It's what Trump world had become. It really is that simple.

Social media and twitter have increased the problem.

But keep living in a bubble and ignore it.

Reactions: Raglefant
Some nuance to the situation, C.C. or Waverly, hasn't had to deal with an African-American community until recently.
Where do you think Waverly is at? Even Janesville a small town 5 miles south of Waverly have had black kids go through it.

Where do you think Waverly is at? Even Janesville a small town 5 miles south of Waverly have had black kids go through it.
And after giving that a guy a geography lesson:rolleyes:. If anyone is familiar with CC, which I am...it's actually a city that some people would classify as having a fairly significant number of "white trash" residents. The city really never fully recovered from the tornado in 1968? that devastated the town. Once White Farm(no pun intended) went under, there was no industry remaining and people left en masse.

Unfortunately big and small Iowa towns with some small minded people persists. I’m disappointed that this continues to occur with regular frequency throughout Iowa and some people always rise to the occasion to dismiss it as something less egregious or it’s being misinterpreted (remember Valley vs. North not so long ago?). I’d support the IAHSAA bringing the hammer down when crap like this happens, suspend the offending schools program for the rest of the season and no playoff games would shut this behavior down quickly.

Unfortunately big and small Iowa towns with some small minded people persists. I’m disappointed that this continues to occur with regular frequency throughout Iowa and some people always rise to the occasion to dismiss it as something less egregious or it’s being misinterpreted (remember Valley vs. North not so long ago?). I’d support the IAHSAA bringing the hammer down when crap like this happens, suspend the offending schools program for the rest of the season and no playoff games would shut this behavior down quickly.
How would this help the players? If it is a fan who did this, punish the players? The IAHSAA can punish the school some other way.

How would this help the players? If it is a fan who did this, punish the players? The IAHSAA can punish the school some other way.

I realize it’s heavy handed but by doing nothing the same behavior keeps cropping up. If a schools fans realize this penalty is on the table I tend to think they will police themselves quite well.

The AD should investigate and identify who was racially verbally abusing the kid.
Then ban them from attending any future school events.
Punish the guilty party, not the school, who could not have prevented the situation in the moment.

And after giving that a guy a geography lesson:rolleyes:. If anyone is familiar with CC, which I am...it's actually a city that some people would classify as having a fairly significant number of "white trash" residents. The city really never fully recovered from the tornado in 1968? that devastated the town. Once White Farm(no pun intended) went under, there was no industry remaining and people left en masse.

Saying “Charles City has a fairly significant number of white trash residents” might be considered by some as giving Charles City a compliment.

Reactions: joelbc1
Saying “Charles City has a fairly significant number of white trash residents” might be considered by some as giving Charles City a compliment.
This whole story isn't about Waverly, Chas City, or any other town in Iowa. This could have happened anywhere in Iowa.

As another poster stated... it's a culture stemming from generations of white communities that had no diversity. You can bet Waverly officials are embarrassed as hell. Anyone should be.

This young man should never, ever have been subjected to this.

It's what Trump world had become. It really is that simple.

Social media and twitter have increased the problem.

But keep living in a bubble and ignore it.
Who's ignoring it? Just think it's ridiculous you can assume from a newspaper article that this person was a Trump supporter. Instead of turning it to a political thread, why not talk about the issue?

Lol you look like a fool. Did you read the article? The person literally said “Trump 2020” after saying racist things.
The Des Moines register link that was provided was blocked on my computer. If that is what I said then I can see why that comment was made, however I live in this area and the local newspapers have not said anything about a Trump statement.

Last edited:
The Des Moines register link that was provided you need a subscription to read. I however live in this area and the newspapers have not said anything about a Trump statement.

exerpt for your reading pleasure:

Here's what had happened: Around midway through the second game, fans beyond Waverly-Shell Rock's outfield fence starting heckling Chapman, who is Black, with racial jeers, he told the Register, including telling Chapman to "go back to the fields."

He said they began by calling him "Colin," which he guessed was a reference to Colin Kaepernick, the former NFL quarterback who first kneeled for the national anthem in 2016 and has become a leader in the fight against racial injustice. He ignored them.

Next, when Chapman caught a fly ball, he said, the fans started shouting, "Go back to the fields!" He ignored them.

Later, after Waverly-Shell Rock scored two runs on a hit to the outfield, Chapman said the fans shouted that he should have been George Floyd, the Black man killed at the hands of Minneapolis police in May. He ignored them.

"That really hurt, because why would you say that?" Chapman said. "You’re basically saying you wish I was dead."

Then, Chapman said, the fans shouted, "Trump 2020!"

I’m embarrassed for waverly’s fans if they didn’t say anything to the person.
However.
Ask neic fans. Waverly has the worst fans.

ADVERTISEMENT