ADVERTISEMENT

Black baseball player from Charles City gets racist taunts from Waverly fans

Typical Iowa, not surprised in the least. So many closet racists in this state.

Who's ignoring it? Just think it's ridiculous you can assume from a newspaper article that this person was a Trump supporter. Instead of turning it to a political thread, why not talk about the issue?
JFC! Usually you're pretty reasonable with posts, but you're choosing to put your head in the sand on this one. The article CLEARLY states the perp said Trump 2020. This President has sought division from Day 1. This is another example that he's got it.

I didn't turn it political. It is political on it's merits. The issue is hatred and intolerance to being different.

I think the kwwl story mentioned it wasn’t the first time

maybe I didn’t hear that right. If that’s true they need people scattered around to crack down on it.

Yes, it is disturbing that it happened in the first place...it is more bothersome that no one in earshot of it told the offender(s) to knock it off, etc.

It would seem that at a local HS baseball game that someone would know it was.
Not making excuses as what happened is unacceptable. But it is entirely possible no one outside of the group doing it heard what was being said. Went to a game for my hometown (Janesville). I was the only one standing in the outfield. I wanted to be away from the annoying parents. Yes WSR/CC are bigger schools.

Last edited:
Not making excuses as what happened is unacceptable. But it is entirely possible no one outside of the group doing it heard what was being said. Went to a game for my hometown (Janesville). I was the only one standing in the outfield. I wanted to be away from the annoying parents. Yes WSR/CC are bigger schools.

Gotcha...I think they are requiring the crowds to disperse around the outfield fences in HS games...so it is plausible that the person(s) yelling the offensive words were not close to others. Even so...doesn't the ump, or a coach, jog out to the ne'er-do-well(s) and tell them to leave, etc? It sounds like this happened over multiple innings and the kid being yelled at reported it...I think pretty promptly.

And after giving that a guy a geography lesson:rolleyes:. If anyone is familiar with CC, which I am...it's actually a city that some people would classify as having a fairly significant number of "white trash" residents. The city really never fully recovered from the tornado in 1968? that devastated the town. Once White Farm(no pun intended) went under, there was no industry remaining and people left en masse.
Please explain further. I have a fairly decent amount of knowledge of the city as well so I’d be curious why you think this. If you, or the any other that agreed with you, could lay down some examples that would be great.

Charles city actually has a decent amount of industry on the south side of town. Very surprising. Large industrial park that was nonexistent 20 years ago.

reading comments you would think the heckler was from Charles city.

Reactions: MitchLL
There is nothing a person can say except, I am sorry. However, this youngster has to put some perspective to this incident. It isn’t the end of the world. It’s an idiot proving beyond a doubt he is an idiot. Idiots live everywhere, not just Waverly, Iowa.

A friend of mine once related a story to me that happened in his hometown years ago. My buddy was to play in the state All Star HS Football game in Birmingham, Alabama. He was black and it was about 1967...and one other black kid was playing in the game...and they were the first two blacks to ever play in the game. My buddy was wondering thru The Iron Bowl looking for his locker room, when he was approached by a Security Guard, who questioned what he was doing there. My buddy told him he was looking for the players locker room, and the Security ace told him....”N———-s don’t play in the Iron Bowl.” My buddy answered the Guard and said,“ We’ll, this n——— does.” The Guard called for “back-up” and finally my buddy’s coaches showed up and took him to his locker room.
Even though this was 50 yrs. ago and in Alabama, this stuff happens to this very day. And it happens in Birmingham, Alabama, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and even Waverly, Iowa. I wish it didn’t..but it does. I wish the kid from Charles City nothing but the best...and remind him that in America, he is gonna have to be a little bit better. It is not fair, granted but unfortunately, life is not fair.

There is no physical location called "The Iron Bowl". "The Iron Bowl" is a game between Auburn and Alabama that is played at different locations.

Please explain further. I have a fairly decent amount of knowledge of the city as well so I’d be curious why you think this. If you, or the any other that agreed with you, could lay down some examples that would be great.
We're getting off topic here because the story is more about culture than the towns involved. But there is some connection as Waverly has generally avoided economic setbacks(outside of Bantam) while Chas. City has struggled after the two big incidents... White Farm/tornado.

The north and east sides of CC experienced population losses and the eventual deterioration in housing. So landlords and owners offered lower housing costs which drew a social economic crowd of low income earners. Many higher earning families moved out of town and the trends continued. It's the same stories experienced by cities across the nation.

The city fathers got govt $$$ for low income housing complexes and many families moved to CC from Chicago/Waterloo etc. That's not a criticism, but more a stigma to others, imo.

CC has seen some development with the southside industrial(Winnebago/Tire Mfg), so I think things are trending up.

JFC. I promise the idiot in the office has nothing to do with these punks saying that hateful shit. It certainly is getting reported more in the media though because of what’s going on.
Did you read the article?

Later, after Waverly-Shell Rock scored two runs on a hit to the outfield, Chapman said the fans shouted that he should have been George Floyd, the Black man killed at the hands of Minneapolis police in May. He ignored them.

"That really hurt, because why would you say that?" Chapman said. "You’re basically saying you wish I was dead."

Then, Chapman said, the fans shouted, "Trump 2020!"

How d

how does a fan making a racial comment have anything to do with Donald Trump ?
Straight from the article:

Later, after Waverly-Shell Rock scored two runs on a hit to the outfield, Chapman said the fans shouted that he should have been George Floyd, the Black man killed at the hands of Minneapolis police in May. He ignored them.

"That really hurt, because why would you say that?" Chapman said. "You’re basically saying you wish I was dead."

It was really annoying how blatantly racist some people were when I moved from Waterloo/CF to Parkersburg in high school. This doesn't really surprise me. Funny you don't say that shit when you go to Crossroads.

Dang. Makes me sad to read that.
Feels like society is regressing quickly. Poor kid.

“At first, he didn't want to go back out to center field. And, on the way home from the game, Chapman, who plays baseball, basketball, football and track for Charles City, told his mom he didn't know if he wanted to keep playing baseball.

"At the time, I just didn’t because I just didn't know why that stuff was said," Chapman said. "I’m a nice kid. I’m not a troublemaker. I keep my grades up. ... I don’t do anything wrong. So that’s what made me really hurt about it.

"I’m a 17-year-old kid just trying to play baseball."
The people who did this abomination need to be named and shamed

First or all, I have never understood how someone call yell any kind of insult at another player just out playing a game - whether it is HS or the MLB. Is that fun?

Secondly, when it is racist it is many times worse. Yelling racist insults at a HS player? How can a person do that? Why on earth would they want to?

Third, this is Iowa - yes, there are racists in Iowa, but I usually expect Iowans to be better than this.

Just disgraceful.

Did you read the article?

Nobody is arguing they aren’t supporters of Trump but you honestly believe they wouldn’t have said what they said if he wasn’t in office? None of these racists got the balls to say anything until 3 years ago? That seems weird as I’ve been hearing racist idiots for 35 years

Nobody is arguing they aren’t supporters of Trump but you honestly believe they wouldn’t have said what they said if he wasn’t in office? None of these racists got the balls to say anything until 3 years ago? That seems weird as I’ve been hearing racist idiots for 35 years
I'm not suggesting that Trump made them racist, I just think it's wrong to say he had nothing to do with it when we know for a fact they yelled "Trump 2020."

Saw this story made the front page of the CNN website.
Not a great look for Iowa, and just reinforces the national ‘Iowa is racist’ sentiment that Steve King developed.

I have never heard anyone claim that no racist activity occurred until Trump was elected, but if you don't think outwardly vocal and bold racism has increased under Trump then you haven't been paying attention. I have conservative and very openly racist family members who freely admit it. They felt as if Trump being elected gave them their country back. They explicitly told me that they were afraid they lost their country under Obama, and that when Trump won they felt free to say things that they couldn't for 8 years.

What is different is they are emboldened, and people on the receiving end aren't taking it like they used to. Plus, cell phones...

I am just glad that Iowa has a small Asian community. I can't imagine how prevalent, "Kung Flu", chants would be.

This is what you expect in Abby Finkenhaur's district, amiright? If would have happened 20 miles west it would have been Steve King's fault as I've heard on this site so many times...
No one ever said there aren't conservatives in Abby's District. Fortunately, they are in the minority(no pun intended).

As stated... idiots like the people hurling insults at this kid are emboldened by this President. However, I don't think Trump's efforts to "divide and conquer" will be successful this fall.

This is what you expect in Abby Finkenhaur's district, amiright? If would have happened 20 miles west it would have been Steve King's fault as I've heard on this site so many times...

Steve King is not the cause, but the symptom of Iowans like you that need to GTFO of our state.

I did see a story where a big fan club for the player started up in the outfield for his games.
Saw a video clip where he had a nice cheering section with signs of support. Pretty cool.

Also saw some other area teams sent him nice messages, school t-shirts, etc.

Seriously, it’s been almost three weeks and they can’t figure this out? In a small town where everyone yaps about everyone else?

What a scam. They know who is responsible but they are protecting them because they are in a protected clan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT