ADVERTISEMENT

Black man asks for dog to be put on leash...woman calls 911

How would we rule on an Alford plea!?!

steve-alford.jpg

i

hi-res-9f424df03f7d24b5cd44371894a39763_crop_exact.jpg

Dang, TJ already has an alt account.
In the unlikely event that I lose, I will never post again even under an alt handle. But I might occasionally lurk just to see who you guys erroneously accuse of being my alt handle.

In the unlikely event that I lose, I will never post again even under an alt handle. But I might occasionally lurk just to see who you guys erroneously accuse of being my alt handle.

Seems like a weird box to die on. I've said since day 1 that the "you're not going to like it" portion of his statement could certainly be deemed as threatening. I would certainly think so if it was my child. I also felt like she took it way over the top.

In the article Joe's linked it said it happened a few hours before George Floyd. I didn't realize they were the same day.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Seems like a weird box to die on.

...it happened a few hours before George Floyd. I didn't realize they were the same day.

Agreed unless he’s so confident he won’t lose and merely setting up Riley.

What is the relevance between the dog incident and Mr Floyd? It was also Memorial Day.

What is the relevance between the dog incident and Mr Floyd? It was also Memorial Day.
While there is no direct connection between the two cases, I think the events of the past six weeks factored into Vance’s decision to file a criminal charge against Cooper.

It doesn’t matter that her dog was off its leash. She could be fined for doing that, but that’s immaterial to the misdemeanor charge of filing a false police report.

It also doesn’t matter what she told the guy she was going to say to the cops.

The only thing that matters, as it pertains to the criminal charge, is whether or not she made false statements to the police. Nothing she said in the phone call was false.

Case dismissed.
Except, of course, for the "There's an African American man threatening my life" thing. On video.

Last edited:
Reactions: naturalmwa
Except, of course, for the "There's an African American man threatening my life" thing. On video.
Before TJ gets his panties in a knot...what she actually said in the call was:

"There's a man, African American, he has a bicycle helmet. He is recording me and threatening me and my dog."

and

"I'm being threatened by a man in the Ramble. Please send the cops immediately!"

TJ is claiming that this was "true" since Christian Cooper said:

"Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it."

...and he then pulled out (cue ominous music) DOG TREATS!!

The problem with that story, of course, is that after he said that, Ms. Cooper grabbed her dog by the collar and dragged it a good thirty feet to confront Mr. Cooper despite his repeated requests for her to not approach him. If his statement constituted a threat in her mind, her actions really make no sense. She then actually does threaten HIM by saying...

"I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life."

TJ would have you believe that the only thing relevant is the phone call itself but that's not true at all. Her actions prior to the call will certainly be used to establish her state of mind and clearly show she 1) didn't feel threatened at all and 2) planned to use the phone call as a threat to Mr. Cooper.

Finally, dying on indefensible hills is TJ's best thing. He is the General Custer of HROT.

edit: I see I was too late. :)

Before TJ gets his panties in a knot...what she actually said in the call was:

"There's a man, African American, he has a bicycle helmet. He is recording me and threatening me and my dog."

and

"I'm being threatened by a man in the Ramble. Please send the cops immediately!"

TJ is claiming that this was "true" since Christian Cooper said:

"Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it."

...and he then pulled out (cue ominous music) DOG TREATS!!

The problem with that story, of course, is that after he said that, Ms. Cooper grabbed her dog by the collar and dragged it a good thirty feet to confront Mr. Cooper despite his repeated requests for her to not approach him. If his statement constituted a threat in her mind, her actions really make no sense. She then actually does threaten HIM by saying...

"I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life."

TJ would have you believe that the only thing relevant is the phone call itself but that's not true at all. Her actions prior to the call will certainly be used to establish her state of mind and clearly show she 1) didn't feel threatened at all and 2) planned to use the phone call as a threat to Mr. Cooper.

Finally, dying on indefensible hills is TJ's best thing. He is the General Custer of HROT.

edit: I see I was too late. :)
You can continue to sarcastically downplay the dog treats, but if I'm trying to lure your dog away from you in a public park then I constitute a threat to you and your dog.

And it doesn't matter what she told Cooper she was going to say to police. If they are going to prosecute her for filing a false police report then the only pertinent statements are what she actually said to police.

Cyrus Vance's son is going to get schooled by Robert Barnes in this case.

You see, Riley, the mistake you keep making is thinking she said those words to the 911 operator.
That matters little. It shows she was using the 911 call as a threat because he asked her dog to be leashed. The video demonstrates she was not threatened, rather she was doing the threatening.

You can continue to sarcastically downplay the dog treats, but if I'm trying to lure your dog away from you in a public park then I constitute a threat to you and your dog.
There's nothing sarcastic about it. A woman "alone in the bramble" doesn't drag her struggling dog thirty feet to confront a man she feels is threatening her. And he repeatedly asks her to stay back as she approaches him.

So - yeah - hardly a threat, General. But you do you...it's what you're best at.

It seems strange that the second 911 call was never reported until now. I'm curious to know what she said in that call. At any rate, the case has been adjourned until November 17 to give both sides time to negotiate an agreement.

• Sad
Reactions: ThorneStockton
After she completed a program... I believe I earlier read that the victim didn't want charges or something to that effect
He said he didn't want to be part of the process because he felt that by losing her job and her reputation, Amy Cooper had already been punished enough and prosecuting her would only serve to let white people off the hook for their own prejudices.

Link

"Focusing on charging Amy Cooper lets white people off the hook from all that. They can scream for her head while leaving their own prejudices unexamined. They can push for her prosecution and pat themselves on the back for having done something about racism, when they’ve actually done nothing, and their own Amy Cooper remains only one purse-clutch in the presence of a black man away."

Well, I guess we need a ruling. The case was dropped but not because they couldn't convict, but rather they felt pity for her. And she completed an agreed upon program as one of the provisions. Still, technically the case was dismissed.

Well, I guess we need a ruling. The case was dropped but not because they couldn't convict, but rather they felt pity for her. And she completed an agreed upon program as one of the provisions. Still, technically the case was dismissed.
That last sentence is your answer. Also duck face> toothless hockey fan.

She completed a racial bias course or whatever and charges were dropped.

Of course that wasn't the problem with her -- she obviously already understood the notion that blacks receive desperate treatment from police.

The problem was that she tried to leverage this understanding to her advantage in a skirmish.

So essentially... she was fighting dirty here. Hitting below the belt by using race.

She's probably reasonable on race and the course was a waste.

It doesn’t matter that her dog was off its leash. She could be fined for doing that, but that’s immaterial to the misdemeanor charge of filing a false police report.

It also doesn’t matter what she told the guy she was going to say to the cops.

The only thing that matters, as it pertains to the criminal charge, is whether or not she made false statements to the police. Nothing she said in the phone call was false.

Case dismissed.
When the 911 operator called her back she said he tried to assault her. You still maintain she said nothing false?
No idea why you're tagging me. Had she pleaded guilty, you would have been here the next day.

When the 911 operator called her back she said he tried to assault her. You still maintain she said nothing false?
You mean the phone call that no one in the general public knew about until 4 1/2 months later? She lied in that phone call. In fact, I wouldn't have made the bet if that phone call had been public knowledge. I still maintain that nothing she said in her first phone call was a lie.
No idea why you're tagging me.
I tagged you because you're an asshole who accused me of not having the integrity to hold up my half of the bet.
Had she pleaded guilty, you would have been here the next day.
I guess we'll never find out for certain, since I was fvcking right.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
You mean the phone call that no one in the general public knew about until 4 1/2 months later? She lied in that phone call. In fact, I wouldn't have made the bet if that phone call had been public knowledge. I still maintain that nothing she said in her first phone call was a lie.
I tagged you because you're an asshole who accused me of not having the integrity to hold up my half of the bet.
I guess we'll never find out for certain, since I was fvcking right.
LOL...she said he threatened her in the first call...twice...he never threatened her...she lied. Saying "you're not going to like it" isn't a threat no matter how much you try to claim otherwise. And NO woman who feels "threatened" is going to drag her dog over to confront the person she feels "threatened" by. So "I was fvcking right" and she took a plea deal to avoid prosecution. Where she would have been convicted.

But you're right about one thing - we'll never know whether your would have lived up to your bargain or not but given your weasely history in matters like these - as evidenced by this very thread - I'll stand by my prediction. So take that self-portrait you posted above and shove it. You should have left me out of your little tantrum since I had nothing to do with your f'n bet.

Asshole :)

LOL...she said he threatened her in the first call...twice...he never threatened her...she lied. Saying "you're not going to like it" isn't a threat no matter how much you try to claim otherwise. And NO woman who feels "threatened" is going to drag her dog over to confront the person she feels "threatened" by. So "I was fvcking right" and she took a plea deal to avoid prosecution. Where she would have been convicted.

But you're right about one thing - we'll never know whether your would have lived up to your bargain or not but given your weasely history in matters like these - as evidenced by this very thread - I'll stand by my prediction. So take that self-portrait you posted above and shove it. You should have left me out of your little tantrum since I had nothing to do with your f'n bet.

Asshole :)
Don’t even try to act like you weren’t in lockstep with Riley throughout this thread. You pointlessly declared that I didn’t have the integrity to hold up my end of the bet. I guess now we get to find out if your boy has any integrity.

Scoreboard, bitch.

Don’t even try to act like you weren’t in lockstep with Riley throughout this thread. You pointlessly declared that I didn’t have the integrity to hold up my end of the bet. I guess now we get to find out if your boy has any integrity.

Scoreboard, bitch.
And right there is the game you play every time you get called on your bullshit. I'm not on your fvcking "scoreboard", you whiny little "bitch". And i'm more convinced than ever that you would have spent ten pages arguing that a conviction wasn't really a conviction. It's. What. You. Do.

And right there is the game you play every time you get called on your bullshit. I'm not on your fvcking "scoreboard", you whiny little "bitch". And i'm more convinced than ever that you would have spent ten pages arguing that a conviction wasn't really a conviction. It's. What. You. Do.
Lol. You can piss and moan all you want about what you think I would have done, but the fact is the parameters of the bet were quite clear and I was fully prepared to honor my part. So you can take your personal attacks and shove them sideways up your ass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT