ADVERTISEMENT

Black Sabbath or Deep Purple?

You must choose one:

• Sabbath

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • Purple

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
I liked Black Sabbath more with Ronnie James Dio. There, I said it. Hell, my favorite album of theirs is "Heaven and Hell".

Never really been an Ozzy fan. I mean, yeah, "Paranoid" was good and his solo work had a few good tunes, but otherwise meh.

With Deep Purple, it's "Machine Head" and...?????

Pretty much a tie for me.

I liked Black Sabbath more with Ronnie James Dio. There, I said it. Hell, my favorite album of theirs is "Heaven and Hell".

Never really been an Ozzy fan. I mean, yeah, "Paranoid" was good and his solo work had a few good tunes, but otherwise meh.

Perfect strangers

FIGHT BAR

Reactions: Fan In Black
Ritchie Blackmore was one of my main influences to take up the guitar. Purple all the way for me.
...and Tommy Bolin was a very worthy successor. Purple.
TommyBolinimg.jpg

It’s probably about a tie for me, but I would like to point out that Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate driving to the Playboy Mansion was one of the coolest scenes in “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”.

I'm actually not as into the more popular early Sabbath, for me it's the Sabotage album, where you have angry Ozzy. Hole in the Sky and a couple other ones have Iommi riffs that will split your brain in half.

Sabbath's first six albums were the template for heavy metal as it was called back in those times. Little filler, serious bass, lots of gloom 'n' doom, and sales to back it up. Sadly, when Technical Ecstasy came along, it was becoming obvious they'd shot their wad, and through personnel changes, drugs, etc., the band never put out anything that would come close to those six shining stars.

Purple, on the other hand, started slowly (who can remember their cover of "Hush" on their first album; YIKES!). But each album showed potential and improvement, and the band exploded with with 4 staight killer albums of their own, including what many consider the definitive live album of hard rock at the time. 2 more classics followed, and yet, through their own personnel changes, they continued to be inventive, creative, and not stuck in a rut. Even by the mid '80s, they came up with "Perfect Strangers" which was all over Atlanta FM when it was released. In the same time period, Sabbath was about to release an album by "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi".

Saw both bands live (NOTE TO SOUTH DAK HAWK: they opened with "Sympton of the Universe"--so, so loud!), and Sabbath was arguably the better of the two live. IMHO, it's close, but I have to say I prolly play/listen to more Purple than Sabbath these days, so they got my vote.

Sabbath's first six albums were the template for heavy metal as it was called back in those times. Little filler, serious bass, lots of gloom 'n' doom, and sales to back it up. Sadly, when Technical Ecstasy came along, it was becoming obvious they'd shot their wad, and through personnel changes, drugs, etc., the band never put out anything that would come close to those six shining stars.

Purple, on the other hand, started slowly (who can remember their cover of "Hush" on their first album; YIKES!). But each album showed potential and improvement, and the band exploded with with 4 staight killer albums of their own, including what many consider the definitive live album of hard rock at the time. 2 more classics followed, and yet, through their own personnel changes, they continued to be inventive, creative, and not stuck in a rut. Even by the mid '80s, they came up with "Perfect Strangers" which was all over Atlanta FM when it was released. In the same time period, Sabbath was about to release an album by "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi".

Saw both bands live (NOTE TO SOUTH DAK HAWK: they opened with "Sympton of the Universe"--so, so loud!), and Sabbath was arguably the better of the two live. IMHO, it's close, but I have to say I prolly play/listen to more Purple than Sabbath these days, so they got my vote.

I've seen both, too.

Black Sabbath was horrible. Van Halen (touring on their debut album) opened for them. They blew Sabbath away.

I saw Deep Purple touring on the Perfect Strangers album and they freaking rocked.

Reactions: seminoleed

I agree with most of what you say, but I do love the Dio albums, esp Heaven and Hell. It's a whole different kind of thing with a new lyricist, but different good.

Reactions: hawksurprize
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT