ADVERTISEMENT

Blast from the past 1983

Nice! Thanks OP.

There have been many periods of time when it was "great to be a Hawkeye" football fan, but I would argue that the best of times was the first 5 or 6 years of Hayden Fry. After 20 LONG years of getting beat like a drum, the Hawks were WINNING! It was absolutely euphoric!

Such a great time to be a Hawk!

Sweet! Hayden wearing his lucky white pants and Earl Bruce thinking how do I explain this to the big dollar alumni. Did anyone catch that brief glimpse of an extremely young Kurt Ferentz?

Didn’t see Kurt but did see Kirk Ferentz.

Many thanks Hawkinsocal for a fun video. You will note Mike Hufford's catches. Way back then Iowa used their TEs in the offense. His younger bigger brother Paul at DT is there. Older brother Joe was a good center under Bob Cummings. They were from Mount Vernon, IIRC.

Mike Stoops replaced older (but not bigger) brother Bob at strong safety and had a helluva good season. Stormin' Norman Granger was one of the most popular Iowa fullbacks that I can remember, a fan favorite.

I spotted John Alt, a great OT who had a lengthy career in the NFL, most if not all of it with the Chiefs. That OL was very, very good. NG Hap Peterson from Bettendorf was only a sophomore then, the first of his three years as a starter. All-Big Ten as a senior.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I was a junior in college and highly inebriated at this wonderful game!! Good memories!

Many thanks Hawkinsocal for a fun video. You will note Mike Hufford's catches. Way back then Iowa used their TEs in the offense. His younger bigger brother Paul at DT is there. Older brother Joe was a good center under Bob Cummings. They were from Mount Vernon, IIRC.

Mike Stoops replaced older (but not bigger) brother Bob at strong safety and had a helluva good season. Stormin' Norman Granger was one of the most popular Iowa fullbacks that I can remember, a fan favorite.

I spotted John Alt, a great OT who had a lengthy career in the NFL, most if not all of it with the Chiefs. That OL was very, very good. NG Hap Peterson from Bettendorf was only a sophomore then, the first of his three years as a starter. All-Big Ten as a senior.
You are correct. The Hufford boys were from Mt. Vernon.

ADVERTISEMENT