ADVERTISEMENT

Blessed by a Kumari - Wouldja?

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
No, not have relations with them HORT pervs. Would you get blessed by one?

FTR, I think it's weird for people that aren't believers in the tradition to do it. But hikers, climbers, and adventurers in Nepal do it all the time. Seems odd and uncomfortable to me. Scroll over on the instagram link below to see a couple video clips of the "blessing."

And if you're asking what a Kumari is, here you go:

Kumari, Kumari Devi, or the Living Goddess is the tradition of worshipping a chosen virgin as manifestations of the divine female energy or Shakti in Dharmic Nepali religious traditions. It is believed that the girl is possessed by the goddess Taleju or Durga. The word Kumari is derived from Sanskrit meaning princess. The procession is akin to Indra or Sakra, taking Indrani to his celestial abode as his bride. The festival is celebrated during Kumari Jantra, which follows the Indra Jatra religious ceremony.

In Nepal, a Kumari is a prepubescent girl selected from the Shakya clan of the Nepalese Newari Buddhist community. The Kumari is also revered and worshiped by some of the country's Hindus. While there are several Kumaris throughout Nepal, with some cities having several, the best known is the Royal Kumari of Kathmandu, and she lives in the Kumari Ghar, a palace in the center of the city. The selection process for her is especially rigorous. As of 2023, the Royal Kumari of Kathmandu is Trishna Shakya, aged five, installed in September 2017. Unika Bajracharya, selected in April 2014 as the Kumari of Patan, is the second most important living goddess.[1][2]

Sure, why not?
Probably traditional to make a donation after the blessing.

No I probably would not...

...climb or hike there. I have hallux rigidus, so my feet really hurt.

No I probably would not...

...climb or hike there. I have hallux rigidus, so my feet really hurt.

Cortisone man!

Also, a friend of mine last year did the surgery where they essentially put a rod in your toe and fuse the joint. He could barely walk a mile before the surgery. He did almost 75 miles with me recently. Long recovery but it was worth it.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
No, not have relations with them HORT pervs. Would you get blessed by one?

FTR, I think it's weird for people that aren't believers in the tradition to do it. But hikers, climbers, and adventurers in Nepal do it all the time. Seems odd and uncomfortable to me. Scroll over on the instagram link below to see a couple video clips of the "blessing."

And if you're asking what a Kumari is, here you go:

Kumari, Kumari Devi, or the Living Goddess is the tradition of worshipping a chosen virgin as manifestations of the divine female energy or Shakti in Dharmic Nepali religious traditions. It is believed that the girl is possessed by the goddess Taleju or Durga. The word Kumari is derived from Sanskrit meaning princess. The procession is akin to Indra or Sakra, taking Indrani to his celestial abode as his bride. The festival is celebrated during Kumari Jantra, which follows the Indra Jatra religious ceremony.

In Nepal, a Kumari is a prepubescent girl selected from the Shakya clan of the Nepalese Newari Buddhist community. The Kumari is also revered and worshiped by some of the country's Hindus. While there are several Kumaris throughout Nepal, with some cities having several, the best known is the Royal Kumari of Kathmandu, and she lives in the Kumari Ghar, a palace in the center of the city. The selection process for her is especially rigorous. As of 2023, the Royal Kumari of Kathmandu is Trishna Shakya, aged five, installed in September 2017. Unika Bajracharya, selected in April 2014 as the Kumari of Patan, is the second most important living goddess.[1][2]
I’ll take a blessing from anyone in any religion.

If there is a God, it’s all the same one regardless most likely.

Besides, it’s nice.

Reactions: BelemNole
I think the throwing money in the pot afterwards is what makes me feel dirty.
These people live on the side of a mountain at 18,000 feet. If a few dollars helps them survive I'm happy to do it while I cross their lands.

Reactions: torbee
Cortisone man!

Also, a friend of mine last year did the surgery where they essentially put a rod in your toe and fuse the joint. He could barely walk a mile before the surgery. He did almost 75 miles with me recently. Long recovery but it was worth it.
Actually, I've upgraded all my shoes and my podiatrist gave me several pairs of carbon fiber, Morton's extension inserts to go under my insoles. It's helping immensely!

The surgery he wants to perform is a Youngswick osteotomy rather than fusing the joint. I just turned 50, so I'm trying to hold off on surgery as long as I can.

Bill Murray Dalai Llama GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT