ADVERTISEMENT

BLM - Marxist Organization, Hoax, Mixture?

That's the crux of my post, I'm not certain, because I'm still trying to sort through all the disinformation. For every seemingly left-leaning article on BLM, there's a fear-based one from a conservative sending up that "alert beacon." Dear White People, BLM is coming for reparations, they're coming for your property! Educate yourself!"

Hell, there's apparently a BLM Foundation that's raised millions (based in CA) not even affiliated with the BLM Movement. And if the BLM Founder is a "Trained Marxist"; what aspects of that training will she bring to the political front and how much influence with BLM have on a Democratic controlled D.C. as opposed to a GOP? (I don't know). CP USA certainly dedicates resources to BLM: https://www.cpusa.org/article_tag/black-lives-matter/

Despite my left-leaning viewpoints on social issues, I'm still a capitalist at heart, I believe in States rights and a smaller Federal govt. footprint. Whether I think BLM will have much influence in the political arena is irrelevant at this juncture as I'm just trying to find out the extent of the type of America they want...it's much more than just equality (which I support).

Someone's already mentioned they need a new marketing strategy, because their current one employees shock-n-awe that is very divisive and constantly in need of an explanation to reach across to the conservatives.

Kneeling - divisive
Defund Police - divisive
BLM - divisive

Why not employ less divisive tactics since they're literally alienating their target audience!

None of the things you listed are divisive. The only thing divisive is that it's people of color demanding equality. That is divisive to a country that is still very focused on white supremacy.

And every one of those right wing crazy pieces should just be ignored. They've already proven that facts aren't something they're big on, but they love crazed hyperbole.

Yes, she says she's a marxist, but as I've explained it has to do with her approach of believing that people of color have to work together like a larger family unit and take care of one another because white America has worked to destroy what used to be a very strong family structure and also works against them.

Instead I'd look deeply into the things they're asking for.

Stop using police for all responses, defund police and move many of those funds to other agencies who are better suited to handle those issues that police can't.

Remove police immunity.

Work to lower police violence and militarism. Remove guns from many officers.

Create new training mechanisms to remove the "warrior cop" mentality from officers.

I can't argue with any of those ideas.

I can't either and don't wish to. Again, I'm just opening dialog and being transparent about the fact I'm getting information overload from agenda-based people and "news" sources and try really hard not to go forth blindly.

I still think BLM needs better marking to reach the conservative base, BLM needs white allies and they are alienating a large swath. Instead of "defund" the police, why not go with reform the police? The concept shouldn't need a thesis to explain it. o_O

None of the things you listed are divisive. The only thing divisive is that it's people of color demanding equality. That is divisive to a country that is still very focused on white supremacy.

And every one of those right wing crazy pieces should just be ignored. They've already proven that facts aren't something they're big on, but they love crazed hyperbole.

Yes, she says she's a marxist, but as I've explained it has to do with her approach of believing that people of color have to work together like a larger family unit and take care of one another because white America has worked to destroy what used to be a very strong family structure and also works against them.

Instead I'd look deeply into the things they're asking for.

Stop using police for all responses, defund police and move many of those funds to other agencies who are better suited to handle those issues that police can't.

Remove police immunity.

Work to lower police violence and militarism. Remove guns from many officers.

Create new training mechanisms to remove the "warrior cop" mentality from officers.

Where exactly is this White Supremacy hidden and why doesn’t it impact the success of immigrants? How has white America “worked to destroy their family structure” and how does BLM working to destroy the family structure in America help this? Police do not have immunity. Why would you want to remove guns from officers who will be confronting criminals with guns?

Reactions: CFNiteHawk85
Look and listen to what the BLM leaders want to turn America into. I don't care what its labeled, it's extreme unAmerican garbage using race as a tool.
I think they're looking for quotes from the BLM Leaders, rather than conjecture based on affiliation. (I'm looking for those too)

Where exactly is this White Supremacy hidden and why doesn’t it impact the success of immigrants? How has white America “worked to destroy their family structure” and how does BLM working to destroy the family structure in America help this? Police do not have immunity. Why would you want to remove guns from officers who will be confronting criminals with guns?
It's not hidden if you look at the stats. People of color are not treated the same in regards to the criminal justice system, in real estate, in jobs, even in the medical fields we see that there are inherent biases at play there. We have a system built by and designed for the comfort of white America. As a result it sees others as tools to achieve that comfort rather than as equals, with equal access to the system.

I can't either and don't wish to. Again, I'm just opening dialog and being transparent about the fact I'm getting information overload from agenda-based people and "news" sources and try really hard not to go forth blindly.

I still think BLM needs better marking to reach the conservative base, BLM needs white allies and they are alienating a large swath. Instead of "defund" the police, why not go with reform the police? The concept shouldn't need a thesis to explain it. o_O
It doesn't matter how they market it, the right wing conservatives are going to attack it no matter what they say. They've decided to stop trying to market to a group who is against everything they need and focus on the others.

As to reforming the police, that's too simple of an idea. We've tried reforms a ton, they don't work. We need to completely tear down and rebuild the police from the ground up and completely change the narrative and belief as to what police should be used for, how we allow them to act, and even what situations they need to be involved in.

Defund doesn't mean to remove all funding (Although I know Republicans like to use it as a code word to do so) it simply means to lessen (By a great deal) the inordinate funding that goes to the police and which doesn't actually stop any crime from occurring and put that money back into other systems that might have a better opportunity to meet those goals.

As for the other comment by another poster about removing guns. I didn't say remove guns from all police, but not every police officer needs a gun to do their job. Most police in the UK, for example, carry no weapons and they seem to do just fine there.

It doesn't matter how they market it, the right wing conservatives are going to attack it no matter what they say. They've decided to stop trying to market to a group who is against everything they need and focus on the others.

As to reforming the police, that's too simple of an idea. We've tried reforms a ton, they don't work. We need to completely tear down and rebuild the police from the ground up and completely change the narrative and belief as to what police should be used for, how we allow them to act, and even what situations they need to be involved in.

Defund doesn't mean to remove all funding (Although I know Republicans like to use it as a code word to do so) it simply means to lessen (By a great deal) the inordinate funding that goes to the police and which doesn't actually stop any crime from occurring and put that money back into other systems that might have a better opportunity to meet those goals.

As for the other comment by another poster about removing guns. I didn't say remove guns from all police, but not every police officer needs a gun to do their job. Most police in the UK, for example, carry no weapons and they seem to do just fine there.
Quit trying to redefine “defund”. Minneapolis is discussing totally eliminating their police force. The redirect funds bs was their excuse for people like you to use once they realized that they screwed up by voicing their radical plans. The statistics do not show that the police department needs reformed. You want to pull money when they need more training and higher pay. Please provide whatever statistics led you to be so misled. LOL at the U.K. analogy. You’ll scream racist but the conversation can’t be had devoid of facts. The U.K. has a 3% overall black population. In the U.S., that male demographic represents 5% of the population and half of the homicides. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

It's not hidden if you look at the stats. People of color are not treated the same in regards to the criminal justice system, in real estate, in jobs, even in the medical fields we see that there are inherent biases at play there. We have a system built by and designed for the comfort of white America. As a result it sees others as tools to achieve that comfort rather than as equals, with equal access to the system.
Please provide these statistics. We have AA’s that have achieved every level of success in America. They are given preference in hiring , admissions, etc... I would love to see how you’ve misinterpreted whatever statistics that you’re referring to. Do you know where the most successful immigrant group in America is from? Please explain how this is so and how they can come here and immediately be successful in such a system as you describe.

This is a conversation I'm deeply interested in!

"We need to completely tear down and rebuild the police from the ground up and completely change the narrative and belief as to what police should be used for, how we allow them to act, and even what situations they need to be involved in."

I agree. It seems 911 has become a catch-all number (and I'm not talking about white Karens irritated a black man is mowing the neighbors yard). Are armed police officers the ideal people we need responding to a domestic situation? Case and point, both of my aunts are special needs and live in a group home with another special needs woman (Down syndrome). Without getting into a lot of detail their friend locked herself in the bathroom threatening to kill herself...the social worker dialed 911. Needless to say the responding Lake County Sheriff's Deputy was ill prepared (on many levels) to handle this. In the end it was resolved with the Social Director offering to provide training to the Lake Co. Sheriff's office on how to handle special needs.

We could both spend a lot of time typing scenarios where Police involvement isn't appropriate, so I'll move to the next topic.

"Defund doesn't mean to remove all funding (Although I know Republicans like to use it as a code word to do so) it simply means to lessen (By a great deal) the inordinate funding that goes to the police and which doesn't actually stop any crime from occurring and put that money back into other systems that might have a better opportunity to meet those goals."

I believe we can redirect funds back into communities in an effort to prevent crime and an equal amount into rehabilitation. I haven't looked it up, but am curious on the data as it relates to lack of opportunity and it's direct correlation to crime...and that applies to opportunities pre-crime and post-crime. A person gets released from prison, fully reformed, but labeled for life. How is that a second chance?

"...not every police officer needs a gun to do their job."

I agree here as well, tazers, batons, rubber bullets, etc. are often appropriate.

==============
So much needs to happen...a reinvention of the police force as well as rebranding. I think each department needs to be prepared for harsh situations (S.W.A.T. teams, et al), but not as a standard response mechanism.

Please provide these statistics. We have AA’s that have achieved every level of success in America. They are given preference in hiring , admissions, etc... I would love to see how you’ve misinterpreted whatever statistics that you’re referring to. Do you know where the most successful immigrant group in America is from? Please explain how this is so and how they can come here and immediately be successful in such a system as you describe.
Do you realize how much damage was done simply by white/black zoning laws LONG before you were even born that AA doesn't even address? How do you transform a dirt poor, black community that has existed in poverty for decades? It isn't through AA. You're not going to hire an uneducated/unqualified, black person no matter what the "laws" are.

My son's school pulls in 6 figures via its PTA (predominately wealthy parents in our area). My daughter teaches at a Title 1 school (predominately, poor minorities). They're lucky to get scotch tape.

Do you realize how much damage was done simply by white/black zoning laws LONG before you were even born that AA doesn't even address? How do you transform a dirt poor, black community that has existed in poverty for decades? It isn't through AA. You're not going to hire an uneducated/unqualified, black person no matter what the "laws" are.

My son's school pulls in 6 figures via its PTA (predominately wealthy parents in our area). My daughter teaches at a Title 1 school (predominately, poor minorities). They're lucky to get scotch tape.
Now that’s something that I can agree with. Do people prefer to hire uneducated, unqualified workers of any color? How do you transform any community that has existed in poverty for decades? Is color the main issue here? How do we fix it? It isn’t by proclaiming whitey to be the devil and encouraging poor people to remain in generational poverty with entitlements and creating resentment and hatred. We have these same issues in poor, rural white communities. The problem is that the small group that controls the narrative never see any of these communities.

Once again, I would like to hear solutions, which is what I never hear. How do you get quality teachers among the violence? How do you get students to care if their parents don’t? How do you prevent the students from running things as opposed to the school and teachers? How do you change the culture? How do you get people to admire Clarence Thomas or Ben Carson rather than LeBron James or a rapper? Should we merge your son’s school with your daughter’s? What would be the impact? The public schools in the areas where I’ve resided weren’t segregated as you are describing. The school that I attended growing up was 30%+ AA.

Now that’s something that I can agree with. Do people prefer to hire uneducated, unqualified workers of any color? How do you transform any community that has existed in poverty for decades? Is color the main issue here? How do we fix it? It isn’t by proclaiming whitey to be the devil and encouraging poor people to remain in generational poverty with entitlements and creating resentment and hatred. We have these same issues in poor, rural white communities. The problem is that the small group that controls the narrative never see any of these communities.

Once again, I would like to hear solutions, which is what I never hear. How do you get quality teachers among the violence? How do you get students to care if their parents don’t? How do you prevent the students from running things as opposed to the school and teachers? How do you change the culture? How do you get people to admire Clarence Thomas or Ben Carson rather than LeBron James or a rapper? Should we merge your son’s school with your daughter’s? What would be the impact? The public schools in the areas where I’ve resided weren’t segregated as you are describing. The school that I attended growing up was 30%+ AA.
You've been given a ton of solutions. Most of the problems you see aren't because people of color are just intrinsicly terrible at families. At one point they had an extremely strong family structure until white law enforcement practices and racism destroyed it by arresting so many men for petty crimes and putting them in prison for long amounts of time.

Crime and hopelessness are primarily due to the cycle of poverty. We (As the American systems created by white people) created that system of poverty. We need to work within several programs to get rid of it. We start by changing the way we police neighborhoods in the inner city so that we start to stop putting people of color in prison at higher rates than other groups, and we work to provide proper educational opportunities, and we work to provide healthcare and jobs and job training that can help people get out of hopelesness. This problem didn't create itself over night. It's the result of generations of intentional racism. We need a few generations of intentional anti-racism to correct it.

You've been given a ton of solutions. Most of the problems you see aren't because people of color are just intrinsicly terrible at families. At one point they had an extremely strong family structure until white law enforcement practices and racism destroyed it by arresting so many men for petty crimes and putting them in prison for long amounts of time.

Crime and hopelessness are primarily due to the cycle of poverty. We (As the American systems created by white people) created that system of poverty. We need to work within several programs to get rid of it. We start by changing the way we police neighborhoods in the inner city so that we start to stop putting people of color in prison at higher rates than other groups, and we work to provide proper educational opportunities, and we work to provide healthcare and jobs and job training that can help people get out of hopelesness. This problem didn't create itself over night. It's the result of generations of intentional racism. We need a few generations of intentional anti-racism to correct it.
Well said.

So you’re basically saying to hold them to different, lower standards than the rest of society? That’s pretty racist IMO. Inner city neighborhoods are policed because 6% of the population commits half of the violent crime. Considering that, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that they’ll have higher incarceration rates. You directly countered yourself with the last sentence of the first paragraph and first sentence of the second paragraph. As for destruction of the families, that wasn’t law enforcement practices, it was incentivized by entitlements and still is. Do you think that there’s any personal responsibility or cultural changes needed here or just for us to provide? You really don’t believe that black people have the opportunity to work their way out of poverty like illegal immigrants, Nigerian immigrants, etc... are so successful at doing? This is fvcking America and anyone who wants to work their way out of poverty can. I’ve watched more black people do just that than you’ve ever came into contact with. You didn’t touch most of the questions that I asked.

So you’re basically saying to hold them to different, lower standards than the rest of society? That’s pretty racist IMO. Inner city neighborhoods are policed because 6% of the population commits half of the violent crime. Considering that, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that they’ll have higher incarceration rates. You directly countered yourself with the last sentence of the first paragraph and first sentence of the second paragraph. As for destruction of the families, that wasn’t law enforcement practices, it was incentivized by entitlements and still is. Do you think that there’s any personal responsibility or cultural changes needed here or just for us to provide? You really don’t believe that black people have the opportunity to work their way out of poverty like illegal immigrants, Nigerian immigrants, etc... are so successful at doing? This is fvcking America and anyone who wants to work their way out of poverty can. I’ve watched more black people do just that than you’ve ever came into contact with. You didn’t touch most of the questions that I asked.
Nope, if that's what you got then you can't read.

I said crime is related to poverty. We fix the issues with poverty that WE caused and the crime issues will resolve most of themselves.

It's like if I burned your house down and then when you had problems finding a place to live I told you to stop whining because other people's houses have burned down and me trying to help you rebuild is classist because others have recovered without my help.

ADVERTISEMENT