ADVERTISEMENT

Blocked Punts in Iowa History

Sep 3, 2009
I have been trying to find an online resource that tracks this, but have yet to find one. I was trying to look up how many blocked punts Iowa has by year, but can't find anything. Of the top of my head, I can only remember a few, and these are largely games I was at or have seen highlights of. I was wondering if anyone could add to the list:

1981 vs Nebraska (partially)
1987 Holiday Bowl vs Wyoming (TD)
2002 vs Purdue
2003 at Iowa State (2) (both Considine) (one TD)
2003 vs Michigan
2004 Outback Bowl vs Florida (TD)
2009 at Penn St (Clayborn)
2014 vs Northwestern (TD)
2015 vs Maryland (partially)
2021 at Nebraska (TD)

That's all I can think of, my hypothesis is that early Ferentz teams schemed way more often for punt blocks and now play it safe most of the time, but I can't prove it (Considering there were at least 4 blocked punts in the 2003 season alone)

I have been trying to find an online resource that tracks this, but have yet to find one. I was trying to look up how many blocked punts Iowa has by year, but can't find anything. Of the top of my head, I can only remember a few, and these are largely games I was at or have seen highlights of. I was wondering if anyone could add to the list:

1981 vs Nebraska (partially)
1987 Holiday Bowl vs Wyoming (TD)
2002 vs Purdue
2003 at Iowa State (2) (both Considine) (one TD)
2003 vs Michigan
2004 Outback Bowl vs Florida (TD)
2009 at Penn St (Clayborn)
2014 vs Northwestern (TD)
2015 vs Maryland (partially)
2021 at Nebraska (TD)

That's all I can think of, my hypothesis is that early Ferentz teams schemed way more often for punt blocks and now play it safe most of the time, but I can't prove it (Considering there were at least 4 blocked punts in the 2003 season alone)

This link will get you that info for 2011-2021

You can find more here, but tallying blocked punts will be arduous and time consuming (i.e. you'll likely have to go through each season and each game's drive summaries for blocked punt information)

This link will get you that info for 2011-2021

You can find more here, but tallying blocked punts will be arduous and time consuming (i.e. you'll likely have to go through each season and each game's drive summaries for blocked punt information)

Robert Gallery had 3 catches for 32 yards in 2000. Then never caught a pass the rest of his career. Another wasted tight end recruit.

Only TD we scored in Kirk's first game vs Nebraska was a blocked punt return by Tim Dodge. For the most part just look up stats for each year, and if a guy is listed with a punt return for 0 yards or someone has 0 returns but yardage (and often a TD), it was probably from blocking a punt.

Last edited:
Honestly I think punts are just harder to block now due to evolution of the game. The punting game is rather different now. The wider formations make it hard to rush the edge, and the blockers in the backfield can pick up the gaps. Couple that with more rugby style kickers that can get a punt off with increased pressure and I think they're just harder to block than they used to be.

I thought Considine had 5 himself, or am I thinking of Matt Bowen as well?

Considine is credited with four punt returns and I don't remember him with any regular returns, so likely all four were blocks. And then he scored the TD off the block punt against LSU, so he was part of at least five.

Bowen didn't have any punt returns. Really the only blocked punts I remember during his time here was Joe Slattery at Michigan in 1997 and Tim Dodge vs Nebraska in 1999. He might've blocked a FG in there though.

Reactions: Cougar63
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT