ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Jays hitting coach tossed before first pitch

One of the Blue Jay coaches got run last night, not sure if it was him or not. The funny thing was, the pitches he bitched about before getting ejected, were the correct calls.

Not like the hitting coach does anything during the game anyways. If anything he can relay info from the clubhouse to the hitters with a gofer.

It's far past time we just moved to computerized strike zones. I know it will hurt umpire feelings, but they're terrible, and it's time to fix that problem.
I'm a baseball traditionalist and I agree with the move to computerized strike zones. Umpires have far too much influence on a game with missed balls and strikes.

I know, Umpires don't want to have their ability to grandstand on strikeouts taken away.
naked-gun-umpire.gif

Maybe it was wrong but watching umps toss people never gets old. Be it NBA or MLB it's still fun to see how well they can toss someone LOL

I saw the brewers hitting coach get ejected last year when i was at a game /csb

The umping was bad last night but it was fair. He seemed to screw both sides from what I saw. There were a couple that went to commercial real quick before Stone and Binetti could wonder wtf just happened

Absolutely justified. The balls and strikes in the game last night were absolutely horrendous, the worst of the year in the MLB. It topped another game the Blue Jays got hosed on earlier this year.

It's time for robot umps, it's just insane given the money invested in players to trot this bullshit out on the regular. This isn't football where a crucial missed call changes a season, which is bad enough. This is creating an environment where players and managers can't even operate. Imagine football if 30% of catches were ruled incomplete, or basketball if 20% of made shots were ruled no good. It's untenable to the playing of the game.

The umping was bad last night but it was fair. He seemed to screw both sides from what I saw. There were a couple that went to commercial real quick before Stone and Binetti could wonder wtf just happened
According to the card above, it heavily favored the Sox.

Reactions: Nole Lou

It was bad on both sides, but it didn't end up fair. The Blue Jays got the worst of it to the tune of -2 runs. That's atrocious. I'm not saying it was biased against the Blue Jays, but the random assortment of egregious calls definitely went against them.

You can see the missed strikes on TOR pitchers were at least all (except for one) belt high, you could theoretically adjust.

FV1KHOCVEAIhUao

The missed strikes on CWS pitchers were all over the place, how can you even deal with that "strike zone".

FV1KHNAVUAAtJqj

Plus 2 runs for Chicago based on missed calls. 64% called strike accuracy. Outrageous.

FV3StTRXEAABcOd

It was bad on both sides, but it didn't end up fair. The Blue Jays got the worst of it to the tune of -2 runs. That's atrocious. I'm not saying it was biased against the Blue Jays, but the random assortment of egregious calls definitely went against them.

You can see the missed strikes on TOR pitchers were at least all (except for one) belt high, you could theoretically adjust.

FV1KHOCVEAIhUao

The missed strikes on CWS pitchers were all over the place, how can you even deal with that "strike zone".

FV1KHNAVUAAtJqj

Plus 2 runs for Chicago based on missed calls. 64% called strike accuracy. Outrageous.

FV3StTRXEAABcOd

It was -2 net for the Blue Jays, almost -4 on it's own, offset by a -2 for the Sox.

Also, lol at that 99% accuracy on called ball accuracy. Not going to miss many balls, when he called so many strikes.

Reactions: Nole Lou

FV1KHOCVEAIhUao

FV1KHNAVUAAtJqj

FV3StTRXEAABcOd

What's atrocious is all of the armchair statisticians coming up with metrics on it. It's a baseball game, it'll work itself out over 162 games, who gives a shit if an ump is all over the place? Swing at it if you're afraid it's going to be called a strike

FV1KHOCVEAIhUao

FV1KHNAVUAAtJqj

FV3StTRXEAABcOd

I was watching. It was bad on both sides, it was just lucky for the Sox the most impactful bad calls came at times that benefitted them.

I was watching. It was bad on both sides, it was just lucky for the Sox the most impactful bad calls came at times that benefitted them.

Right, like I said, it was bad on both sides, but not even. The bad calls cost the CWS the equivalent of a run.

But they cost the Jays the equivalent of 3 runs.

What's atrocious is all of the armchair statisticians coming up with metrics on it. It's a baseball game, it'll work itself out over 162 games, who gives a shit if an ump is all over the place? Swing at it if you're afraid it's going to be called a strike
are you supposed to just swing at everything. He was atrociously bad at those. It's not like those calls were nibbling the zone, they were several inches well outside the zone. If you're just supposed to swing at everything then the pitcher has no real incentive to even try to throw anything remotely hittable.

That said terrible umpires have always existed, we just didn't have the ability to easily see it immediately and have stats on it, nor did we have any way to correct it. BUT we do now. And balls and strikes seem to be some of the most important calls of the game. Just use a computerized strike zone. We just need to find some way to easily call them and someway to placate the refs who will resent it as you'll still need them for other game management calls.

Being bad both ways isnt an excuse. The amount of games that are completely changed by a terrible strike call on a 2-1 count in a random 5th inning is insane. I used to be a guy who didnt want change in baseball, but i am sooo over these fat 60 year old umps. Gimme the robots

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
are you supposed to just swing at everything. He was atrociously bad at those. It's not like those calls were nibbling the zone, they were several inches well outside the zone. If you're just supposed to swing at everything then the pitcher has no real incentive to even try to throw anything remotely hittable.

That said terrible umpires have always existed, we just didn't have the ability to easily see it immediately and have stats on it, nor did we have any way to correct it. BUT we do now. And balls and strikes seem to be some of the most important calls of the game. Just use a computerized strike zone. We just need to find some way to easily call them and someway to placate the refs who will resent it as you'll still need them for other game management calls.

And what you're not seeing from that graphic (that box isn't the actual strike zone btw) are the pitches called balls that should have been called strikes. From the ~4 innings I saw last night, Cease had plenty of those. Whatever though, the game goes on. It's not meant to be a game decided via automation, some people can't handle that - I get it. Nuance isn't for everybody and it actually requires people to pay attention and think rather than getting a cute piece of visual analytics (even if it's based on faulty stats).

And what you're not seeing from that graphic (that box isn't the actual strike zone btw) are the pitches called balls that should have been called strikes. From the ~4 innings I saw last night, Cease had plenty of those. Whatever though, the game goes on. It's not meant to be a game decided via automation, some people can't handle that - I get it. Nuance isn't for everybody and it actually requires people to pay attention and think rather than getting a cute piece of visual analytics (even if it's based on faulty stats).
Paying attention was obviously something the ump wasn’t doing last night. I’m pretty sure he’s required to do so.

Reactions: cfbfan23
So what you're saying is that he sucks at his job even more than the graphic gives away. It's not just that he had a wide strike zone, it's that he had no discernable strike zone at all?

Ready for electronic strike zone and a pitch clock.

was at a minor league game that went full 9 innings. Pitch clock enforced and it was done in 2 hours 15 minutes.

I get no joy out of watching Umpires add their “interpretation” of the strike zone and I never found watching guys adjust their wrist bands all that exciting. Nor do I care for pitchers that act like they are doing fans a favor by actually throwing the ball.

Ready for electronic strike zone and a pitch clock.

was at a minor league game that went full 9 innings. Pitch clock enforced and it was done in 2 hours 15 minutes.

I get no joy out of watching Umpires add their “interpretation” of the strike zone and I never found watching guys adjust their wrist bands all that exciting. Nor do I care for pitchers that act like they are doing fans a favor by actually throwing the ball.
To be fair, there were likely no commercial breaks in the minor league game. Those add a ton of time.

So what you're saying is that he sucks at his job even more than the graphic gives away. It's not just that he had a wide strike zone, it's that he had no discernable strike zone at all?

He definitely sucked at his job during this game - probably at other games too. Both teams should have been swinging instead of looking at strike 3 but then that would have affected some other pointless stat with no context like swinging at pitches out of the zone

I'm not into baseball but a buddy of mine who played pro (never got called up to my knowledge) has stopped caring this year. Paraphrasing... "It's like WWE, the umps are making themselves a damn NWO faction this year. It's like they are trolling with how bad they are, has to be intentional."

I'm not into baseball but a buddy of mine who played pro (never got called up to my knowledge) has stopped caring this year. Paraphrasing... "It's like WWE, the umps are making themselves a damn NWO faction this year. It's like they are trolling with how bad they are, has to be intentional."
Then you've got Angel Hernandez, one of the worst umpires to ever work the position, suing MLB again claiming he's not really as bad as MLB says he is. We all have eyes dude. You're absolutely terrible.

It's amazing how terrible these guys are allowed to be with no real repercussions. Are there really not other good umpires available or is this just so "hard" that they're just bound to suck.

Watching some of the ball/strike calls in MLB is ridiculous, it's like they are not even watching & just guessing. It reminds me of my days at FSU, when I used to sometimes ump sorority softball games. I was behind the plate for a game between the DGs & the Tri-Delts one day. Was that a ball or strike, how the eff would I know - I wasn't watching the pitch, I was watching the batter wiggle her ass in those little Dolfin shorts.

Watching some of the ball/strike calls in MLB is ridiculous, it's like they are not even watching & just guessing. It reminds me of my days at FSU, when I used to sometimes ump sorority softball games. I was behind the plate for a game between the DGs & the Tri-Delts one day. Was that a ball or strike, how the eff would I know - I wasn't watching the pitch, I was watching the batter wiggle her ass in those little Dolfin shorts.
Pics or it didn’t happen!

Then you've got Angel Hernandez, one of the worst umpires to ever work the position, suing MLB again claiming he's not really as bad as MLB says he is. We all have eyes dude. You're absolutely terrible.

It's amazing how terrible these guys are allowed to be with no real repercussions. Are there really not other good umpires available or is this just so "hard" that they're just bound to suck.
The conspiracy theory I heard was this is intentional pushback by the umpires because of talks of electronic strike zones... They are basically showing they can Eff things if in other ways and holding baseball hostage.

ADVERTISEMENT