ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Bowlsby holding a press conference at 11 am today

MesaClone

HR All-State
Aug 20, 2002
Presumably to address the upcoming season and last night's decision to move forward by the Big 12. I do NOT know where this will be telecast but a number of guys will be tweeting updates through the press conference. Just an FYI to any who might be interested in these updates.

Presumably to address the upcoming season and last night's decision to move forward by the Big 12. I do NOT know where this will be telecast but a number of guys will be tweeting updates through the press conference. Just an FYI to any who might be interested in these updates.
Dan Patrick is reporting from his sources that the Big 12 is going to move forward with the season. Take it for what it is worth but DP has been correct on this all the way.

I hope the Big 12 and other conferences do try to play this fall so they can show us just exactly what a mess the Big 10 and Pac 12 were smart enough to avoid. Go ahead, fellas. Tackle COVID-19 and see who gets up.

But remember, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

Reactions: LinusPF
I hope the Big 12 and other conferences do try to play this fall so they can show us just exactly what a mess the Big 10 and Pac 12 were smart enough to avoid. Go ahead, fellas. Tackle COVID-19 and see who gets up.

2 players die every year from exhaustion. I guarantee 2 players don’t die from covid.

More apt: “A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man but one”.

Imagine hoping this fails and tons of people get sick. I don't get it.

Depends...if one of these is positive can you prove they didn't get it elsewhere? Can you also prove that the incidence rate for those inside the football program is higher than for those outside of it?

Not bloody likely.

Also, not bloody likely to determine it did not happen because of football. So of you all need to open your brains a bit more.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The exact same as it would be if these individuals weren’t coaching and officiating. And they are probably at a greater risk outside of team facilities and without protocols.

It is a straight up liability issue. If they get it from someone through contact tracing and it is from another school because of football. Lawsuits would be happening. Long term effects are also a factor.

So coaches and officials are now able to live in a bubble without football? Good thing football is shut down, since that is the only place they can catch covid-19

Love how everyone gets mad when I ask about coaches and officials from a guy that said no more than 2 kids would die from covid if the season was played.

It's Doodle's understanding that the Big XII didn't unequivocally vote to play the season no matter what, but rather that they voted to continue down the path towards the season...all the while evaluating and leaving canceling the season on the table right up until (and even past) the opening kickoff of the first week of games.

In other words, they voted to continue to practice and to continue to progress down the road as if a season will take place...unless something happens to change their minds in the coming weeks.

So not quite "Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!"

More like, "Let's go ahead some amount of steam just below full, and for the love of God, everyone keep your eyes peeled for those damn torpedoes!"

Coaches and officials are all grown men...and women....I think they can decide for themselves if they want to coach or officiate.

I agree 100% but do you believe no one will die from covid who is a coach or official? It was an honest question and people jumped me for it.

all those players will be elbow to elbow playing college football video games on their couches.

This decision is not saving anyone or preventing anything.

Reactions: HawksNPanthers
all those players will be elbow to elbow playing college football video games on their couches.

This decision is not saving anyone or preventing anything.

Exactly. Inside of playing in Kinnick on Saturday a good amount of the players will now be out in the Ped Mall or at house parties.

plus the players are still going to be doing 20 hours of conditioning, walkthroughs, team meetings per week. The coaches will still be around the players.
The only thing not allowed, is a game which the other team would've been tested for immediately before playing.

Stupid.

Reactions: HawksNPanthers
Exactly. Inside of playing in Kinnick on Saturday a good amount of the players will now be out in the Ped Mall or at house parties.
But if they aren't playing and catch it due to their own outside activities, then that's on them. If they play and catch it under the watchful eye of the program, then that's potentially on the school/big ten. I don't think many people are disagreeing that the players would be safer in a bubble environment: they just aren't confident enough that the bubble could satisfactory eliminate or reduce the risk enough.

It's Doodle's understanding that the Big XII didn't unequivocally vote to play the season no matter what, but rather that they voted to continue down the path towards the season...all the while evaluating and leaving canceling the season on the table right up until (and even past) the opening kickoff of the first week of games.

In other words, they voted to continue to practice and to continue to progress down the road as if a season will take place...unless something happens to change their minds in the coming weeks.

So not quite "Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!"

More like, "Let's go ahead some amount of steam just below full, and for the love of God, everyone keep your eyes peeled for those damn torpedoes!"
This is also the way I understood it. That also is consistent with what Pollard has been saying.

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
If a tree falls in a forest, and lands on a logger, did he die from Covid?

From a tweet by NFL report Tom Pelissero:
NFL COVID-19 test stats, per Dr. Allen Sills: 9,983 people on intake: 170 new positives 2,840 players on intake: 53 new positives 109,075 tests thru Tuesday: 0.46% positive overall, 0.81% players Sills: “I’m not aware of anyone that has had severe illness up to this point.”
2:25 PM · Aug 12, 2020

This is an excellent case study going into the football season...and shows how infections and testing can be effectively managed. Some people will contract the virus whether we have college football or not...so let's have it, and take great measures to manage it and trace infections (and treat them).

If done right, the Covid rates for the players will almost certainly be lower than that of the general student populace. And as the tweet above makes clear....it doesn't appear even a single player has had serious illness out of 109,075 tests conducted (on 2840 players). Not saying a serious illness can't happen...but there's no science indicate that's MORE likely if college's play football. And there IS science indicating that a strict testing, monitoring, and guidance regimen reduces infection rates.

So it seems like a rather obvious choice....its safer to have the season with strong controls in place. Why a league would cancel at this point is beyond mystifying.

https://twitter.com/intent/like?ref...t-get-is.272101/&tweet_id=1293659845976096775

I wish you would suck start a shotgun you left wing sissy.

From a tweet by NFL report Tom Pelissero:
NFL COVID-19 test stats, per Dr. Allen Sills: 9,983 people on intake: 170 new positives 2,840 players on intake: 53 new positives 109,075 tests thru Tuesday: 0.46% positive overall, 0.81% players Sills: “I’m not aware of anyone that has had severe illness up to this point.”
2:25 PM · Aug 12, 2020

This is an excellent case study going into the football season...and shows how infections and testing can be effectively managed. Some people will contract the virus whether we have college football or not...so let's have it, and take great measures to manage it and trace infections (and treat them).

If done right, the Covid rates for the players will almost certainly be lower than that of the general student populace. And as the tweet above makes clear....it doesn't appear even a single player has had serious illness out of 109,075 tests conducted (on 2840 players). Not saying a serious illness can't happen...but there's no science indicate that's MORE likely if college's play football. And there IS science indicating that a strict testing, monitoring, and guidance regimen reduces infection rates.

So it seems like a rather obvious choice....its safer to have the season with strong controls in place. Why a league would cancel at this point is beyond mystifying.
I understand what you're saying, but don't the student athletes have to attend class like the rest of the student population? Seems they would be just as likely to contract the disease as the general student population then. NFL players are a different story, football is their job. They don't have to attend class or anything else if they so choose outside of football.

I understand what you're saying, but don't the student athletes have to attend class like the rest of the student population? Seems they would be just as likely to contract the disease as the general student population then. NFL players are a different story, football is their job. They don't have to attend class or anything else if they so choose outside of football.

With or without football these kids will be in class. NFL players are not in a "bubble" either and still go home to their families and have normal societal interactions away from practice and games. Playing football, practicing and being on the team is not what puts them at risk...if anything, it is diminishing the risk because of its constant monitoring and testing. The risk of being on campus is a separate issue entirely...but canceling football won't mitigate the "campus" risk, so doing so would be pointless.

Wow you're a real humanitarian dude

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT