ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Diaco...thoughts from Iowa fans.

saltsdogg

Rookie
Aug 20, 2007
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211411124 <---Bob Diacos coaching bio

Just curious what Iowa fans feel about this guy going to the Huskers (Iowas hated Rival) as there D.C? As most can see, Huskers have been more then struggling on the defensive side of things, best case they been more then up and down defensively. Now a great D.C. Like Diaco (former Iowa Hawkeye football player) joins the Huskers staff, then they also add in one of the best DB coaches and national top recruiter D Williams. Do you guys feel that Diaco is the guy to turn the Huskers, once feared, Blackshirts back into beast mode? We all have seen at what Diaco can do with a defense that has the talent in place, like he did in Notre Dame. Now will he be an instant success on the Huskers defense (which has talent in place already) or will he take a year or two before his 3-4 defense takes off and he becomes that feared D.C. Again??!! This isn't a pissing match, who's better Iowa or Huskers. Just simply asking Iowas opinion on a form Hawkeye that finally came back home to Big 10 country as one of the top D.C. Minds in D1. is Diaco the guy who turns this defense around and does he do it quickly or needs a year or two before it shows?

Last edited:
What, should Bobby D. sit on the sidelines unemployed waiting for a coaching offer from Iowa? The man is a football coach and he took the best job offer that opened up. I say good for Bobby Diaco and I hope he finds success as the D.C.- just not against Iowa!

Last edited:
Yea, that's wasn't meant so much how do you feel about him going to the Huskers and not Iowa but more do you guys feel he will bring the fear back to those Blackshirts again?

Not sure how good a D.C. he is , but he was a well liked and well respected player here. He must be doing something right to get a HC gig and a D.C. At both Notre Dame and Nebraska. I'm glad for him and wish him good luck just not against Iowa.

Not sure how good a D.C. he is , but he was a well liked and well respected player here. He must be doing something right to get a HC gig and a D.C. At both Notre Dame and Nebraska. I'm glad for him and wish him good luck just not against Iowa.

While D.C. At Norte Dame he won the Broyles award twice (top cord in NCAA football) and won 2nd the one lone year he didn't win it. He was a hell of a good D.C. And while HC at Connecticut there defenses was what got them to there bowl games and what kept them competitive. Iowa definitely made a great defensive mind in Diaco that's for sure.

Reactions: K OKeefe
There might be some growing pains, but are Nebraska fans/administration patient enough to get his system in place? Does Riley have 2-3 more years if he doesn't meet expectations?

I'm guessing he had way more talent at ND than Neb. Has right now.
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211411124 <---Bob Diacos coaching bio

Just curious what Iowa fans feel about this guy going to the Huskers (Iowas hated Rival) as there D.C? As most can see, Huskers have been more then struggling on the defensive side of things, best case they been more then up and down defensively. Now a great D.C. Like Diaco (former Iowa Hawkeye football player) joins the Huskers staff, then they also add in one of the best DB coaches and national top recruiter D Williams. Do you guys feel that Diaco is the guy to turn the Huskers, once feared, Blackshirts back into beast mode? We all have seen at what Diaco can do with a defense that has the talent in place, like he did in Notre Dame. Now will he be an instant success on the Huskers defense (which has talent in place already) or will he take a year or two before his 3-4 defense takes off and he becomes that feared D.C. Again??!! This isn't a pissing match, who's better Iowa or Huskers. Just simply asking Iowas opinion on a form Hawkeye that finally came back home to Big 10 country as one of the top D.C. Minds in D1. is Diaco the guy who turns this defense around and does he do it quickly or needs a year or two before it shows?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Probably should be head coach instead of the retarded sounding guy you have now. Just sayin - giving my thoughts.

Yea, that's wasn't meant so much how do you feel about him going to the Huskers and not Iowa but more do you guys feel he will bring the fear back to those Blackshirts again?
The current fbs college football environment no longer allows criminals to play, so the answer is no, the black shirts are never coming back. I've seen some stupid bugeater comments on here in the past, we might have a winner.

Bobby DIaco is a fine man and a heckuva coach. His success will be somewhere other than as DC at Nebraska. He will do very well as long as he is there.

Reactions: Herkmeister
There might be some growing pains, but are Nebraska fans/administration patient enough to get his system in place? Does Riley have 2-3 more years if he doesn't meet expectations?

Unless the offense and special teams collapse, I believe Riley will have at least 3 years. What the faithful expect more that anything else this fall is a stronger, better conditioned and more intense defense. My guess is that Diaco feels doesn't they currently have the personnel for "his"3/4 defense and that he will be given at lease 2 to 3 recruiting cycles to secure his players.

Last edited:
What, should Bobby D. sit on the sidelines unemployed waiting for a coaching offer from Iowa? The man is a football coach and he took the best job offer that opened up. I say good for Bobby Diaco and I hope he finds success as the D.C.- just not against Iowa!
I think he did your mom and you need counseling.

I hope he sucks at nebby, gets fired after a couple years, gets hired somewhere else and is DC of the year. Then eventually makes it back to iowa and has many stellar years here before retiring and riding off into the sunset.

Who cares, he's coaching the cornholers, nuff said.

I'm not sure exactly what most of us Iowa fans can add. Appreciate what Diaco did as a player and he will always be a Hawk, but he's never coached here. We aren't familiar with what he's like as a coach. Appears to be a good coach from him time with Kelly at Cincinnati and Notre Dame. UConn didn't work out great for him but doesn't mean he can't coach, just means it wasn't the right fit.

In terms of what he will add to Nebraska, primarily will be his familiarity with the conference and an understanding of what teams like Iowa and Wisconsin are all about. Have to bring a level of physicality to the games with the B1G brethren, which Diaco certainly understands and will instill in his team.

I follow ND fairly closely because of relatives that live in South Bend. He actually did a really impressive job with their D while he was there; especially the defensive line. We will see how he does at Nebraska as the change in scheme is always a couple year process with personnel.

UN likes to hire coaches with Iowa connections. Your last coach was kind enough to take Rick Katztastrophy off our hands. Perhaps a few coaches ago the Red hired our assistant strength coach - Chris Doyle's right hand man. Bob Elliott sadly had a short stay in Lincoln - but at least he died in Iowa City. Bobby Diaco. I'm probably missing a few more.

You guys REALLY need to retire the "feared Black Shirts" thing. Honestly - it's embarrassing even for people that are not Husker fans. Alabama and Ohio State have some Black Shirt defense - you guys haven't had any since they quit the swinging gates at some of the jails.

The blackshirts will never regain the glory days of the 90s unless they restart their esteemed walkon/steroid program. Not a slight to Nebraska, they weren't alone, but best to give up on that hope.

Donte Williams has a had a few great recruits. He hasn't proven to be a great coach or developer yet.
Nebraska actually had a great defense last year until Ohio State. I think it was more Banker's comments on Iowa's line play that got him fired, and definitely an Eichorst move, not a Riley move. Coached together for 20 years and was fired over the phone? Right. Regardless Diaco will be excellent for Nebraska.

Nebraska continues to chase star ratings instead of character. Until they start a solid process in developing the talent they do land instead of blaming the lack of stardom/depth in their recruits, Nebraska will continue to have higher ranked recruiting classes while losing to the "untalented" recruiting classes of Wisconsin and Iowa. Been that way for years.

The recruiting pool from which NE drew in the 90's is for practical purposes no longer available to them.

I think Diaco is a good hire as DC, but I'm with those that suspect he will need a full season to get the system down.

He was a very tough LB at Iowa and a smart player.

I would suppose that many Iowa fans feel about Diaco like how Nebraska fans might feel about Barry Alvarez. Barry is a Husker alum ... and his presence is still is felt at Wisconsin. The entire football program continues to carry Barry's philosophy ... and his thumbprint is all over the program.

.... and the Badgers continue to own a pretty one-sided "rivalry" with the Huskers these days.

At the current juncture - Iowa fans probably don't care (about Diaco) other than to wish him well. Should Nebraska's D be a thorn in Iowa's side ... then some of the sentiment might transition to irritation. However, should things get to that point ... Iowa fans will be wanting him to move back on to a head coaching position.

Would like to see Bobby back on the Iowa sidelines at some point. (the West side). Solid guy.

Neb will never have a defense or program like Iowa.

I don't know what the answer is to fixing the football problem in Lincoln the last 15 years. I'm not sure there even is an answer to the football woes there.

I do know that I'm glad it's not my job to try to fix the unfixable Neb football!

Reactions: beatdahuskers
Neb will never have a defense or program like Iowa.

I don't know what the answer is to fixing the football problem in Lincoln the last 15 years. I'm not sure there even is an answer to the football woes there.

I do know that I'm glad it's not my job to try to fix the unfixable Neb football!

I'm certainly not a Husker fan, but c'mon that's ridiculous!

You guys REALLY need to retire the "feared Black Shirts" thing. Honestly - it's embarrassing even for people that are not Husker fans. Alabama and Ohio State have some Black Shirt defense - you guys haven't had any since they quit the swinging gates at some of the jails.
I disagree. Nebraska almost won the 2009 Big 12 Championship with only their defense, allowing 10.4 ppg that year and Ndamukong Suh winning many of the nation's defensive awards in addition to the AP Player of the Year award. The offense that year was atrocious at times. I'll never forget that year's 9-7 home loss to Iowa State in which Nebraska turned the ball over something like 8 times. There have been a few other seasons in which Nebraska's defense has been very solid, and some years not so much (to say the least).

As a Nebraskan/Nebraska fan, I personally have never really understood the big deal about the "Blackshirts". Yeah it was cool when they implemented it and Nebraska was known for having a consistently good to great defense, but it seems to be something many Nebraska fans continue to hang their hat on despite many occasions in recent years in which the Huskers have been embarrassed on the defensive side of the ball (too many to pinpoint, but the ones that spring to mind are the 70-10 loss to Texas Tech, last year's loss to OSU, and getting throttled by a Wisconsin team in the Big Ten Championship a few years ago that finished 3rd in their division). Why can't we just have a good defense without some moniker that forces the current players to live up to something that is decades old? While I appreciate and respect the accomplishments the Huskers have had on defense and as a program in general, in 2017 it doesn't mean a damn thing and to me, trying to continue a "tradition" based on the color of shirts players wear during practice - not a game, we talkin' 'bout practice - is rather silly.

Best of luck this season Hawkeyes, see you in November, hopefully this time for our team to actually compete.

Last edited:
If Diaco doesn't turn the defense around this year, I think Riley(sp?) is gone and Frost comes in.
Sorry but no way Nebraska fires Riley so quickly. Already in year 2, he had the Huskers pretty close to a divisional title .... that is, going into the game against Iowa. That is still worlds ahead of where they were the prior season.

The Husker administration gave Pelini more years than I thought they would .... and, even then, the primary reason why he got fired was because of how poorly he represented the school, state, and program. Riley will get a longer leash because not only because he's the current AD's "guy" but also because he represents the program much better.

Overall though ... yes, eventually the hollering out of Lincoln for Frost will get deafening. They're not there quite yet.

Reactions: bgrams7
My only thought about Nebraska is that they let a good one go in Bo Pelini. Happy he's gone because he had chops. It's going to be fun stomping NU for years to come. Do you guys finally have a QB that doesn't throw like a girl yet?

I disagree. Nebraska almost won the 2009 Big 12 Championship with only their defense, allowing 10.4 ppg that year and Ndamukong Suh winning many of the nation's defensive awards in addition to the AP Player of the Year award. The offense that year was atrocious at times. I'll never forget that year's 9-7 home loss to Iowa State in which Nebraska turned the ball over something like 8 times. There have been a few other seasons in which Nebraska's defense has been very solid, and some years not so much (to say the least).

As a Nebraskan/Nebraska fan, I personally have never really understood the big deal about the "Blackshirts". Yeah it was cool when they implemented it and Nebraska was known for having a consistently good to great defense, but it seems to be something many Nebraska fans continue to hang their hat on despite many occasions in recent years in which the Huskers have been embarrassed on the defensive side of the ball (too many to pinpoint, but the ones that spring to mind are the 70-10 loss to Texas Tech, last year's loss to OSU, and getting throttled by a Wisconsin team in the Big Ten Championship a few years ago that finished 3rd in their division). Why can't we just have a good defense without some moniker that forces the current players to live up to something that is decades old? While I appreciate and respect the accomplishments the Huskers have had on defense and as a program in general, in 2017 it doesn't mean a damn thing and to me, trying to continue a "tradition" based on the color of shirts players wear during practice - not a game, we talkin' 'bout practice - is rather silly.

Best of luck this season Hawkeyes, see you in November, hopefully this time for our team to actually compete.

Yup. That defense was outstanding. People seem to forget about that because of the pitiful offense. The fact that that team was 10-4 with that defense is a shame. The defense created so many opportunities for the offense only to have to settle for field goals or many times fall out of FG range. Thanks goodness we had the most accurate kicker in the history of the NCAA. The fact is the offense was absolutely atrocious and the defense almost won the Big 12 without any help. I would say that defense was very much feared.

Yup. That defense was outstanding. People seem to forget about that because of the pitiful offense. The fact that that team was 10-4 with that defense is a shame. The defense created so many opportunities for the offense only to have to settle for field goals or many times fall out of FG range. Thanks goodness we had the most accurate kicker in the history of the NCAA. The fact is the offense was absolutely atrocious and the defense almost won the Big 12 without any help. I would say that defense was very much feared.
Nebraska culture. Idolize Suh, maybe the dirtiest player ever.

Reactions: infinity13 and Ree4
Nebraska culture. Idolize Suh, maybe the dirtiest player ever.

Such a predictable response. Find me a dirty play from his time at Nebraska. I'll wait. Because that's what we're talking about - his performance on the field at Nebraska. He was one of the most dominant defensive football player in the last 25 years. Arguably the most dominant.

Is there something wrong with appreciating the level he played at while at Nebraska? Because it was a rebuttal to the inaccurate statement made by a Hawk that Nebraska's defense hasn't been dominant/feared since the 90's. So, someone reminds him that the 2009 defense of Nebraska was extremely dominant and feared, and you say, "yeah, but he plays really dirty in the NFL." And???

Reactions: huskersoup
My only thought about Nebraska is that they let a good one go in Bo Pelini. Happy he's gone because he had chops. It's going to be fun stomping NU for years to come. Do you guys finally have a QB that doesn't throw like a girl yet?

Bo Pelini is now coaching at the level he is best suited for as a head coach. He is a very good X and O coach. He's not a CEO coach. He had no idea how to surround himself with proper assistants and how to lead his coaches or his players. The bunker mentality he instilled in his players wore very very thin with administration, fans, media. Had you had this at Iowa, I'm certain most Hawk fans would have been disgusted with it as well. Having Ferentz as the CEO of your program, you ought to know better than the believe Bo Pelini was a good head coach. He was in over his head.

ADVERTISEMENT